U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm two years older and I feel like it's the opposite. The kids have grown, married and live 25-40 miles away, and we go to see them often. Also, I work in Seattle and live in a woodsy suburb 23 miles away with great schools, where the neighborhood is starting to turn over. People are retiring and moving, then replaced by young families. I only drive 2.5 miles to the park & ride, then take the bus to work. We have plenty of hiking trails, 3 lakes, and other opportunities for recreation, but without the expense of kids we are able to travel more and enjoy exploring the state and trips to other states more than ever before.
Agreed. I have lived in large cities for years. I am tired of the crime and the blight. I am tired of drivers who fail to yield in crosswalks.

I do NOT want to deal with the congestion that I have dealt with for the last 14 years in Chicago, where you have to plan everything around the commuter train schedule or the traffic. I would rather live in a place where life is slower and where I can commute to entertainment.

I guess it is different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:46 AM

13,144 posts, read 6,260,085 times
I guess it is different strokes for different folks.
---------------------
^Yes, this is true! I think that everybody should get to live where they would be the happiest

Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times
I make the effort to get out and about. I rarely spend the day in the house. I play golf 3 times a week so that gets me out and socializing with others. Other days I go out to breakfast (11 am) and read the newspaper. I ride around, stop and walk through stores looking at things, women, etc. I usually return home about 4 PM and cocktail time is at 5 PM.

My wife says I make busy.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,585,481 times
My world has expanded so much I'm exhausted.
But I'm in my 60s probably will catch up with me.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 AM

8,831 posts, read 7,728,859 times
My world isn't shrinking at all. Just got back from 1000 mile trip on my motorcycle with a friend of mine. I plan on a few more trips this year. We plan to move at least 350 miles away in a couple of years. My FIL worked till he was in his 90's. He even shot a deer on a deer hunt at that age. I'm 61, not 91. Folks, I see all kinds of seniors in their 70's and even 80's getting out and going. Going on cruises, taking multi-state trips. I know one woman who is 68 joined her boyfriend and became a nudist. Get out there!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,307,901 times
I wake up stiff and sore from arthritis and just don't have much desire to do things that involve a days worth of activity. When I force myself to be out all day and get exercise I just can't wait till I can lay down on the sofa to watch TV. The extremely busy life is for kids.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,831,881 times
I noticed this shrinking trend in my own parents years ago and for them it was mainly tied to a car dependent suburban area, retirement and friends either moving or passing on.

My wife and I made the decision that when it was time to move from our city house to a suburban abode (kids, schools, lawns, etc...) to keep the place in the city and convert it to a rental property so that we would have the option to move back once we hit retirement age (i'm in my 40s).

We feel very lucky to be able to do this and it has take some financial wrangling but so far so good...

Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 AM

983 posts, read 2,179,887 times
I am not retired but I am noticing all the above every time I move to a new place. I have been in my new house for 4 months now and the neighbors here are pretty much the ones you wave at and that's all. We are all doing the same thing, busy with the little things that keeps people busy. It's sad to see people just stay indoors and not go out and talk to the neighbors. I am guilty of not taking the initiative, so I am working on pushing myself to go out and talk to people more.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
Certainly a lot of little chucks are gone which I do not miss;like commute;woring for living and rushing here and there to get things done within a time limt. But the others I like have grown.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:04 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,098,029 times
I live in a bustling, young, hip neighborhood right outside DT Seattle. Guess what? it's not all that young. During the day - you see a significant number of retired people out and about. Generally they tend to go out a bit earlier, and then the nightlife consists of the younger crowd. The retirees are attracted to this neighborhood for the same reason the young ones are - no-fuss apartments and condos, tons of stores within walking distance, grocery delivery if desired, lots of restaurants and coffee shops, great transit, small theatres, many bookshops, the list goes on... My building is about 2/3 young professionals and 1/3 retirees. One thing you don't see much of is young kids. We have a few, but most families seem to want a yard. No matter where we may end up before we retire, we intend to hang on to our condo here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement