U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 06:38 AM

1,193 posts, read 944,554 times

Advertisements

Further update... A call to the SS number yielded better results this time. (I wish I could get this lady every time). She was able to confirm they got the check and processed it (not the same as cashing) on May 17th. And there is a last update on May 29, so she says ignore the letter and give it 30 days from May 29.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM

4,376 posts, read 3,714,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
Well, I now know the answer. It was taking too long. Yesterday I got a letter from SS stating (basically) "we asked you to send in $12,000 but you haven't done it. You only have 30 more days".

So... I guess now I have to jump thru the hoops to get the first check cancelled, and get a new one issued. My nightmare scenario is I pay them with the 2nd check and they cash it. Then someone eventually finds the first check, tries to cash it and then they claim I owe them $12,000.

Two things that just scream "government" on the letter. First there is no one to talk to. It's not from a particular person and the only number they give me to call is the one I called a week ago that knew nothing. Secondly, the letter is from the office in Chicago, and the envelope they give you to reply is going to Philly.

I don't even know if hand delivering my check to someone in local office is an option.
You would get a receipt for the check if you took it in. I had a similar problem where my request was being processed but at the same time the local SS office could not find a record of it being processed. It did get processed but it took several months.
I think they have problems with the systems as the people always seem to want to help.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You would get a receipt for the check if you took it in. I had a similar problem where my request was being processed but at the same time the local SS office could not find a record of it being processed. It did get processed but it took several months.
I think they have problems with the systems as the people always seem to want to help.
We had to repay money. So we hand carried it to the local ss office and got a receipt.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 PM

789 posts, read 798,944 times
My friends mother just lost her husband. He was 90 and she is 86. All SS benefits stopped and she went 3 months without any income until her kids kicked in. Although all paperwork was filed with SS and the husbands death certificate was submitted, SS made a mistake. They thought both husband and wife died. So she couldn't collect anything which is her sole income.

It is now a year. The family had to prove (birth certificates, letters from doctors and numerous forms filed) that she is actually alive. She still hasn't received a dime. She may lose the house she owns because her kids can't afford to support her, and pay her taxes and bills.

You think you have it bad??......

Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 PM

The SSA (like most Federal Agencies) needs some kind of Ombudsman program. But you need to find a way for the Ombudsmen to not be a part of the problem. Automated Answering system: "Welcome to the Ombudsman Hotline. We are experiencing greater than normal call volumes......"

Old 06-08-2014, 01:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,184,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
My friends mother just lost her husband. He was 90 and she is 86. All SS benefits stopped and she went 3 months without any income until her kids kicked in. Although all paperwork was filed with SS and the husbands death certificate was submitted, SS made a mistake. They thought both husband and wife died. So she couldn't collect anything which is her sole income.

It is now a year. The family had to prove (birth certificates, letters from doctors and numerous forms filed) that she is actually alive. She still hasn't received a dime. She may lose the house she owns because her kids can't afford to support her, and pay her taxes and bills.

You think you have it bad??......
This is nothing compared to the problems that Obamacare SNAFU's are going to cause......

Old 10-17-2014, 09:44 PM

So here's the final, final story I believe. Earlier calls to SS that elicited confidence were all beaten down by time and the next call. I did finally go into local SS office and lady there said she saw no sign of check. So I cancelled the check with the credit union.... got a new one, and hand carried it to SS office. That was on August 1. By around 20 Sep with still no end in sight, I broke down and contacted my congressman's office.

First time in my life I ever did that. Got a call back Sep 29th saying it was all straightened out. Never heard anything from SS. Was going to wait about another week from now and contact their office again to say they'd been lied to, but today my online SS page shows it's all been reset.

Took from Feb till Mid Oct. Biggest lesson for me....even though it's a pain, if you are doing something out of the ordinary, go to the office.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:44 AM

71,780 posts, read 71,896,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
After drawing SS for 8 months, I decided to withdraw my application, pay back the money and start fresh. It took 6 weeks or so for me to finally hear something from SS, but finally on April 16th I got something saying I need to pay back $12,000.

I mailed it that day. 45 days later I haven't heard a thing. I don't know if this is "normal" or it's already taken way too long. Anyone have any experience with this?

I vaguely recall reading something on one of the forms about saying I had 60 days to change my mind, so I wonder if they wait 60 days before they take action.

I'm kind of in limbo. Not getting checks, big cashier's check floating out in never never land, and no word on my status.
i am curious what led up to that decision to withdraw ???????????????

Old 10-18-2014, 08:20 AM

Too much of our retirement income goes away when I die. I have retired military pension and she gets little of it after I croak. So, since she will get the higher of our two SS payments after I'm gone, and mine is way bigger, we decided to maximize mine.

We'll try to soften the loss of income in the meantime by my filing a spousal benefit when I hit 66, which will give me half her benefit while mine still grows. That would not have been possible if I had filed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or