Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 10:58 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,070,302 times

Advertisements

While making up and photo displays used for my husbands memorial , it occurred to me that, not just now, but maybe even always, old photos do not move me or take me back to the time they were taken.
They're interesting and some are fun to look through and maybe describe to my kids but there is no 'flash back' to the time or events.

Past houses, two of which were totally my 'creations' and both which I loved, don't make me miss them.
Pictures of my kids from birth on don't bring on nostalgia.
I enjoy seeing new ones they put up on FB.

Recent photos of the man I just lost are doing me in but the other younger guy in those old pictures has been gone a long time and I really only remember him intellectually, not emotionally.
I can look at those old photos all day and they don't stir up any emotion.

Am I just missing the sentimentality gene or do you also totally live now, in the present?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,112,776 times
For me old pictures do bring back memories and sort of take me back.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:48 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,844,390 times
Old pictures do stir emotions in me. I certainly don't claim this as a superiority - it just is.

There are various ways we can "live in the past", namely with deep underlying attitudes which have not changed. For example, for me (at age 70) tattoos scream "lower class". Intellectually I realize that the attitude toward tattoos has changed, but I don't think I'll ever get over my feelings about tattoos, not at my age.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,479,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Am I just missing the sentimentality gene or do you also totally live now, in the present?
You're not the only one. I live very much in the present and have no emotional reaction/attachment to old family photos. I don't mind looking at silly/dorky ones and getting a laugh but otherwise just don't find them interesting.

So far I've been able to delegate selecting memorial tribute photos to others.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,024,181 times
I'm pathetic. Not only do I love old photos and such I regularly go on Google Street view and "walk around" my old neighborhoods in NYC.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,480,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

I think it is healthy to live in the present. After all it is where you are. It is the only spot in time that you can do anything about.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:57 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,474,267 times
I'm sentimental and I get emotional about old photographs and letters. They take me right back in time and place. I live in the present though and I find that I get depressed if I spend too much time looking back at the past. A little bit of it is fun, too much is a drag.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,886,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I'm pathetic. Not only do I love old photos and such I regularly go on Google Street view and "walk around" my old neighborhoods in NYC.
I google-map-walk too... but in NJ, not NYC. It's fun to see what's the same (the house, the school) and what's changed (the stores in town center).

I love looking at the old photos. I have a handful of very old ones (my great grandparents in Europe) but most are from my parents... starting with them as teenagers and young lovers, and going forward through my life, my son's and my grandkids (their great-grands). Sometimes it's fun to look at a pic and try to remember who it is without peaking at the labels. Sometimes I look at a pic and say to myself... I remember when that happened.

But where I really get emotional is when I listen to the old songs. A song can take me right back to a specific place and time, and I remember exactly who was there. I love those shows on PBS with music from the 50s-60s-70s. Even bought some of their CD sets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement