U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:08 PM

1,036 posts, read 788,898 times

Advertisements

Because my mother has dementia, as my father was dying, my sister and I had to make the arrangements. Since I am always curious about the cause of death, I had it clearly stated in my father's obituary. I also made sure it was a good genealogical document. My genealogy project for Sociology class came in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 06:05 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,737,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Same here. It's a habit I picked up from my grandfather. He learned to read English that way when he came over from the "old country." He always referred to the obits as the Italian sports page.

THAT........was funny

Old 06-04-2014, 06:13 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I always read the obits because it's like a mini-biography, if well written. I think the New York Times' "Portraits of Grief" after 9/11 altered the obit options and there are now a lot more interesting obits. I also like to see if the person is old and was an immigrant, how many kids he/she had and how many grandchildren were produced- to see if the "demographic transition" is real in these people's lives- from large families to one or two kids per couple in one or two generations.

Also, I work in mental health and know a lot of people casually. I look for familiar last names. For instance, I saw that one doctor's father had died and that he'd been a Holocaust survivor. I also have run into former patients' names, whether natural deaths or otherwise.

For myself, I want no obit or funeral or any such. Donate anything useable and cremate the rest.
With my family having lived in this area for so long I often recognize names in the obits and more often knew their family. I even see people who've been my customers at work for the past four years. Those are always kind of a shock because I had no idea they were that ill.

No obit or funeral here either. Everything is already arranged and paid for.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM

786 posts, read 895,985 times
I check every day for the EX, but alas....

Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 PM

13,323 posts, read 25,582,469 times
In the Boston area, the obits are known as "the Irish sports page."

Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,593,647 times
Every month or so I wander over to the NY Times site & read through the obit of recent notables. More & more of them are dying younger than I am now. I enjoy reading about what they accomplished & am sad as more & more people that were cultural icons in one way or another in my life/era are gone.

Almost no-one I know lives around here anymore or in the old "hometown" so there is no way of knowing who from my past has passed unless I get a call, possibly the only good reason to join Facebook maybe.

A couple of years ago I decided it was finally time to get together with an old friend whose life path had mysteriously mirrored mine for almost 30 years: same girlfriend waaay back & living in the same far-flung cities at the same time. We had talked several months earlier on the phone & when I decided to google him for his phone number I instead got his obit from 2 months earlier.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:18 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Every month or so I ...

A couple of years ago I decided it was finally time to get together with an old friend whose life path had mysteriously mirrored mine for almost 30 years: same girlfriend waaay back & living in the same far-flung cities at the same time. We had talked several months earlier on the phone & when I decided to google him for his phone number I instead got his obit from 2 months earlier.

That is sad

Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 PM

6,353 posts, read 7,836,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I read the obits every day in my local paper. Ten is usually the most, more often six or seven. The names are posted on the front page online, and you click on the link to read the obit. I can often guess from the first name, before opening the obit, whether the person was a boomer, or younger, or a lot older, and I'm usually right. Many of our obits tell the cause of death, usually a long struggle with cancer.

I hate the obits that go on and on with accomplishment after accomplishment, ad nauseum. You rarely get anything about the true character of the decedent. I prefer the plainer ones, like a homemaker who loved to garden, knit, and help out in her community. The "important" people get up to a third of a page.

This is one of my favorites, found on the Net:

William "Freddie" McCullough Obituary: View William McCullough's Obituary by Savannah Morning News
I looked up Fast Freddie's obit. Good Lord! The man's guest book had almost 1,700 entries! Way to go, Freddie!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 AM

19,828 posts, read 19,927,191 times
Quote:
That is wonderful!
Finding a gem like that could make reading obits more like a treasure hunt.
It makes me really regret deleting one line that I originally wrote in my husband's.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:19 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
I read the obits every day in my local paper. Ten is usually the most, more often six or seven. The names are posted on the front page online, and you click on the link to read the obit. I can often guess from the first name, before opening the obit, whether the person was a boomer, or younger, or a lot older, and I'm usually right. Many of our obits tell the cause of death, usually a long struggle with cancer.

I hate the obits that go on and on with accomplishment after accomplishment, ad nauseum. You rarely get anything about the true character of the decedent. I prefer the plainer ones, like a homemaker who loved to garden, knit, and help out in her community. The "important" people get up to a third of a page.

This is one of my favorites, found on the Net:

William "Freddie" McCullough Obituary: View William McCullough's Obituary by Savannah Morning News

That obit is awesome. I know my wife probably would try to write something but I think my daughter would be better and she would get recruited. Maybe I should leave some notes and a draft outline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or