Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
i live in eastern CA. Plan to retire and die here I both support and could care less about your choice.

You too should ignore other peoples opinion about your choice to settle in Alabama. Follow your heart and be happy!
Exactly and I think most do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 AM

863 posts, read 795,685 times
Why is it these lists, and many posters who have never been there, always have to run down the south? Not everyone is a candidate for Honey Boo Boo or Myrtle Manor. We do have doctors, hospitals, fire stations, police and a virtual plethora of other government services.

But because one chooses to live south of the Mason-Dixon line, your automatically an uneducated, no indoor plumbing, backwoods living, wife beater wearing, pick up driving, ignorant, trailer trash. Sad.

And I am not from the south, I just happen to live here.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:41 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I hear you MG! When we announced our intention to move to eastern Tennessee our CA friends and family acted like we had lost our minds. They envision outhouses and moonshine stills in the backyard. In reality, we are 30 minutes from a university teaching hospital, another hospital that ranks in the top 5% for cardiac care, a symphony, and continuing education taught by nuclear physicists and the like. We are less than an hour from theme parks and the U.S. most visited national park. We are less than 1/4 mile from an amazing lake with marinas and hundreds of miles of sailing, waterskiing, and tournament quality bass fishing. We are about 60 feet from the 18th fairway of a semi-private golf course. We live in a neighborhood that looks like a place most people would go to for their vacation, where we were actually greeted with open arms and even had parties thrown for us upon arrival. We feel so safe here that many seldom lock their doors. The fire department is 2 miles away, and we have community first responders that usually beat the EMT's to the scene. We have boat rescue groups that will tow you in for free if your boat breaks down. We have streetlights and sewers and volunteer gardeners who help to keep the community blooming. So if these articles want to scare people away, maybe we shouldn't complain. Maybe they are just helping us keep our little secret!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Why is it these lists, and many posters who have never been there, always have to run down the south? Not everyone is a candidate for Honey Boo Boo or Myrtle Manor. We do have doctors, hospitals, fire stations, police and a virtual plethora of other government services.

But because one chooses to live south of the Mason-Dixon line, your automatically an uneducated, no indoor plumbing, backwoods living, wife beater wearing, pick up driving, ignorant, trailer trash. Sad.

And I am not from the south, I just happen to live here.
Bada Bing that reflects me,

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-06-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I hear you MG! When we announced our intention to move to eastern Tennessee our CA friends and family acted like we had lost our minds. They envision outhouses and moonshine stills in the backyard. In reality, we are 30 minutes from a university teaching hospital, another hospital that ranks in the top 5% for cardiac care, a symphony, and continuing education taught by nuclear physicists and the like. We are less than an hour from theme parks and the U.S. most visited national park. We are less than 1/4 mile from an amazing lake with marinas and hundreds of miles of sailing, waterskiing, and tournament quality bass fishing. We are about 60 feet from the 18th fairway of a semi-private golf course. We live in a neighborhood that looks like a place most people would go to for their vacation, where we were actually greeted with open arms and even had parties thrown for us upon arrival. We feel so safe here that many seldom lock their doors. The fire department is 2 miles away, and we have community first responders that usually beat the EMT's to the scene. We have boat rescue groups that will tow you in for free if your boat breaks down. We have streetlights and sewers and volunteer gardeners who help to keep the community blooming. So if these articles want to scare people away, maybe we shouldn't complain. Maybe they are just helping us keep our little secret!
You and us both. CA people, including many of our children, thought we were out of our minds to move to SW Missouri, and the Ozarks at that. They all had visions of singlewides, hicks, rednecks, hillbillies, et al. Yet in truth, we live on the shore of a lake with 720 miles of shoreline and enjoy many of the same, close-by amenities you listed.

Right now while they're all baking and in the grip of a drought, our lawns, flower and vegetable gardens are enjoying the over 2" of rain they received yesterday and the fast approach to a third inch we're receiving right now.

As they used to say, diff'rent strokes!

We certainly don't court sprawl, crowds, traffic, crime, pollution, etc.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Has no one else figured out these lists have tantalizing titles to generate interest and the once on the site, each of the top or bottom ten have to be clicked on to advance through them? Each click is supplying more advertisements that are so easy to mistakenly click on. What an easy way to mine for data with little effort.

Every location/state had it's pros and cons and people tend to slant those to get the answer they wanted all along. They want their choice to be vindicated and if it is, it's a great list and if not... Oh well.

Heaven help those that truly wanted info and get sucked into these list sites.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:23 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You also need to remember that most of east TN is a very high crime, very poor area. You may live in a nice area in Loudon, but I can certainly say growing up in Kingsport and most everything east of Knoxville is very high crime and poor.

The fact that you can afford to use the marinas, golf clubs, etc, means you have extra money, which is more than I can say when I was living in TN and hardly had two nickels to rub together.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 06-06-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Their premice is that with lower taxes you don't get high quality govt. services. (High quality govt. services.)
^^^No it's not. Using criteria they developed, they have ranked states based on the return on investment of taxpayers' dollars. It says in the introduction that " . . . people living in these 10 states don’t get as high quality government services — relative to the amount they pay in taxes." Using a simpler and hypothetic example, let's say a resident pays $100 dollars in taxes. What is the value of services is that taxpayer is getting in return? $50? $100? $200? Something else? This is simply a ranking of the states that offer the 10 lowest return on their taxpayer dollars (using their own criteria).

This means that this . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
They go on to assume that because you have lower taxes you have poor quality schools, higher crime and a host of other things.
. . . is wrong.

This list has nonetheless caused quite a kerfuffle among us retirees based on a mis-interpretation of the data. In fact, as I looked it over, I've concluded this study is better suited to the Economics forum rather than here.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Has no one else figured out these lists have tantalizing titles to generate interest and the once on the site, each of the top or bottom ten have to be clicked on to advance through them? Each click is supplying more advertisements that are so easy to mistakenly click on. What an easy way to mine for data with little effort.
Use DoNotTrackMe

Even C-D even has trackers on it, that I'm currently blocking. Google Analytics and Quantcast, whatever those may be.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:36 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One thing to look at when considering retirement is do you need those bang for the buck services? Do you need a good school system? Do you need Social Services? The list goes on and on.

Many retires would be very happy with low cost versus good services.
While you may not need a good school system and may not want to pay for it, I look at good schools as barometer of the area. Good schools usually equal a vibrant active community, with a lower crime rate and where homes maintain or appreciate in value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement