U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 PM

2,213 posts, read 1,352,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
One also has to drill down a bit further to compare what tax breaks (if any) a given state affords to its seniors.

For instance, NY (especially downstate) has ridiculously high property taxes; however, it also gives larger tax breaks to seniors depending on their income. Some other states whose current taxes on a comparable property are only 50% of NY's, give very small senior tax breaks. So when you project the taxes PLUS the senior tax breaks forward in time, it can happen that the higher-taxed region can cost less out-of-pocket for property taxes than the "cheaper" one. And may well have better services and lower crime rates.

For example I'm still mindboggled by the fact that so many parts of the country apparantly only have residential trash pickup once a week (with possibly a second pickup for recyclables). I've always assumed that twice-weekly household + weekly recyclables + free special pickups for large items and yard waste were the norm, because that's the way it's always been in my region. The $300/yr (current) cost is included in the property taxes.

In the past we had trash pickup twice a week here in MD. Now it's once a week for trash and once a week for recyclables. Don't really need that 2nd trash pickup because for most people, most of their trash is recyclable. My son just moved to rural NH (high property tax, no income tax) where he has to take his own trash and recyclables to the town dump. There's not even a private company to do pickups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Yeah. Get the government out of my Medicare, and Social Security. Most retirees take advantage of these government services (that they paid into).
Read the THREAD TITLE. It is a discussion of STATE TAXES and benefits, not federal.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 PM

16 posts, read 17,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Don't paint with such a broad brush !

I was seriously considering NE Alabama for retirement relocation . I am from MN

Yes just like you everybody poked fun at Alabama yet when a Minnesota young college baseball pitcher needed surgery on his pitching arm, it was announced the surgery would be at UAB Medical Hospital

(UAB= University of Alabama Birmingham )

Although Minnesota has lots of great hospitals an Mayo Clinic, he went over 1200 miles to ALABAMA for the surgery.

I doubt your post would hav e changed his mind !
That is because uab is where they do all the tommy john surgery. It is definitely a great place if you are a Major League pitcher. Not so much if you are just a regular old person who needs regular old person medical care.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:59 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,778,692 times
There's a lot of excellent economic work that shows that all of the market (like taxes) and non-market (like good views and the frequency and intensity of floods) benefits are captured in housing values if the market is reasonably competitive. So, if your house is taxed lightly, it will have a higher value, all other things being equal (which they never are). The same for better schools, great views, clean air, older hardwood trees, etc.).

Old 06-06-2014, 07:12 AM

29,794 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
this is supposed to be an excellent medical school and medical center.
And a reason that Birmingham is a target destination for some retiree's including other
Select Alabama locales. Among those are a Mobile and the many coastal communities which have popular active 55 communities. State taxes are the same everywhere in the State aren't they?

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-06-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yes, yet another "10 Worst" list.

Interesting to see that retiring to a state like Arkansas to save money on taxes may not be 100% smart. One should consider the whole picture.

10 states where taxpayers get the worst bang for their buck- MSN Money
Kind of a dumb article. Plenty of these states are rather nice places to live.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
State taxes are the same everywhere in the State aren't they?
Income taxes, yes, but property taxes no.

Didn't the original article take average property taxes into consideration?

As far as what services (for my tax dollar) I consider important, really only one is different as a senior than they were when I was in my 30s and 40s.

At that time, our main priority was the school district. Things like police dept, fire dept, street lighting, garbage pickup and proximity to a good hospital are non-factors on LI because there is really no place here that is deficient in any of those areas. People take them for granted because that's the way it's always been. School districts and demographics are directly correlated here. The "worst" schools are in the minority communities which also have the highest crime and unemployment rates. Which is not to say that their property taxes are "low" (tough to find anything even in those areas with taxes under $6000/yr) but they are low compared to the rest of LI. That's because school taxes comprise 65%-70% of the total tax bill here.

Take fire district taxes for example. My last house was in a town comprising a whopping 6 square miles, LOL. Yet there is one large (four-truck plus ambulance) firehouse and one smaller (three-truck plus) firehouse to cover the area; there are 3 engine companies, a hook/ladder/heavy rescue company, a rescue squad, a fire police company, a scuba team (because one edge of the town is waterfront), a marine rescue division (ditto), a band, and a drill team. Seven large pumper trucks plus all the rescue vehicles.This to cover an area of only 6 square miles. But when there's a fire or rescue call anywhere in the town, they're there in minutes. Ditto for the police response. It's taken as a given.

As a senior, I don't want to move to an area where although the taxes may be low, the nearest fire station is 20 minutes away and they only have 2 or 3 trucks. Or an area where the only police coverage is by the State police and thus the response time is measured not in minutes but hours. If I need an ambulance, I'm going to be counting the seconds, lol

Last edited by Never2L8; 06-06-2014 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM

29,794 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:

Didn't the original article take average property taxes into consideration?

As far as what services (for my tax dollar) I consider important, really only one is different as a senior than they were when I was in my 30s and 40s.

At that time, our main priority was the school district. Things like police dept, fire dept, street lighting, garbage pickup and proximity to a good hospital are non-factors on LI because there is really no place here that is deficient in any of those areas. People take them for granted because that's the way it's always been. School districts and demographics are directly correlated here. The "worst" schools are in the minority communities which also have the highest crime and unemployment rates. Which is not to say that their property taxes are "low" (tough to find anything even in those areas with taxes under $6000/yr) but they are low compared to the rest of LI. That's because school taxes comprise 65%-70% of the total tax bill here.

Take fire district taxes for example. My last house was in a town comprising a whopping 6 square miles, LOL. Yet there is one large (four-truck plus ambulance) firehouse and one smaller (three-truck plus) firehouse to cover the area; there are 3 engine companies, a hook/ladder/heavy rescue company, a rescue squad, a fire police company, a scuba team (because one edge of the town is waterfront), a marine rescue division (ditto), a band, and a drill team. Seven large pumper trucks plus all the rescue vehicles.This to cover an area of only 6 square miles. But when there's a fire or rescue call anywhere in the town, they're there in minutes. Ditto for the police response. It's taken as a given.

As a senior, I don't want to move to an area where although the taxes may be low, the nearest fire station is 20 minutes away and they only have 2 or 3 trucks. Or an area where the only police coverage is by the State police and thus the response time is measured not in minutes but hours. If I need an ambulance, I'm going to be counting the seconds, lol
Please note I said state taxes and not local. I did it for a reason. Within the state choice you pick local options based on cost/benefit. If Birmingham, Mobile/Gulf coast you weigh that cost benefit vs elsewhere. It is up to the individual to research and decide.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 AM

6,048 posts, read 3,876,223 times
Quote:

You are describing rural areas. The major metro areas in the south have excellent services, not nearly as backwards as you seem to think. Both Birmingham and Mobile have good comprehensive medical care as well as medical schools. So does Nashville, Charleston, Atlanta. And areas of NC as well. Put it all together and thats why they are popular retirement destinations.

I wouldn't want to live in a very rural area of any state. And that includes NY. But thats me, others like that lifestyle.

Of course, if you do live in a nice area near any larger city anywhere (including the south) nothing is cheap. You still need a fairly good income to live well.

Last edited by Weichert; 06-06-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
If I was an older senior, I think that it provide more solace to make sure that my home met basic electrical building standards and that the lot was properly maintained than how close I lived to a fire station. However, my new place is 0.3 miles away from the fire station despite a very low property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement