U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
One also has to drill down a bit further to compare what tax breaks (if any) a given state affords to its seniors.

For instance, NY (especially downstate) has ridiculously high property taxes; however, it also gives larger tax breaks to seniors depending on their income. Some other states whose current taxes on a comparable property are only 50% of NY's, give very small senior tax breaks. So when you project the taxes PLUS the senior tax breaks forward in time, it can happen that the higher-taxed region can cost less out-of-pocket for property taxes than the "cheaper" one. And may well have better services and lower crime rates.

For example I'm still mindboggled by the fact that so many parts of the country apparantly only have residential trash pickup once a week (with possibly a second pickup for recyclables). I've always assumed that twice-weekly household + weekly recyclables + free special pickups for large items and yard waste were the norm, because that's the way it's always been in my region. The $300/yr (current) cost is included in the property taxes.
Just 2 hours or so north of NYC and my taxes are as high here as they were on LI. Plus we pay for a private carting company ($37 per month) to pick up once a week. We paid $80 extra to have a sofa bed taken away and I had to disassemble it. Plus we pay for water quarterly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 PM

4,064 posts, read 2,572,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Has no one else figured out these lists have tantalizing titles to generate interest and the once on the site, each of the top or bottom ten have to be clicked on to advance through them? Each click is supplying more advertisements that are so easy to mistakenly click on. What an easy way to mine for data with little effort.
Great post! Absolutely true. Online journalism is not about quality reporting it is about generating clicks.

Tip: Just say NO to Flash. You can disable it in your browser. Web sites prefer Flash because it forces you to watch ads - you can't get to the meat until you suffer through the ad. Bit for bit, it crams more unwanted content down your throat than a normal web page. But, you can disable it. Problem solved!!

Old 06-07-2014, 05:30 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
While you may not need a good school system and may not want to pay for it, I look at good schools as barometer of the area. Good schools usually equal a vibrant active community, with a lower crime rate and where homes maintain or appreciate in value.
Depending on the housing market at the time many a would be seller wishes they were in a top flight school district kids or not.

Last edited by TuborgP; 06-07-2014 at 05:55 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 05:49 AM

71,549 posts, read 71,712,424 times
my son is selling now because the school district is not great where they are. it wasn't a factor before they had a child.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 AM

5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You also need to remember that most of east TN is a very high crime, very poor area. You may live in a nice area in Loudon, but I can certainly say growing up in Kingsport and most everything east of Knoxville is very high crime and poor.

The fact that you can afford to use the marinas, golf clubs, etc, means you have extra money, which is more than I can say when I was living in TN and hardly had two nickels to rub together.
Right now the economy around Knoxville is doing well. The paper reported this week that unemployment in our county (Loudon) right now is below 6% and almost every manufacturer around here is expanding their facilities and hiring. Certainly different counties, particularly those in the mountain communities with less businesses and residents will not be doing as well, but I wouldn't paint all of eastern TN with the negative views that you hold. Certain crimes such as domestic violence and DUI are relatively high in this county (I read the crime columns in the various local papers) but mostly those get reported because there is very little other crime to report in Loudon, Blount, and Monroe counties. There are some property crimes, mostly in support of meth or pill habits, but most are crimes of opportunity and not violent.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Use DoNotTrackMe

Even C-D even has trackers on it, that I'm currently blocking. Google Analytics and Quantcast, whatever those may be.
I use Ghostery. :-) I've seen as many as 5 trackers on C-D forum pages. Always these two plus a few more.

ETA a comment about the Southern states: The reason I wouldn't want to move there has nothing to do with any perceived "redneck culture" or lack of amenities, sorry if I had given that impression. My three primary reasons are (1) too many days in the year when it's hotter and more humid than I could tolerate, (2) too darn many bugs, lol and (3) much of it is in the Bible Belt. I don't want to live in any area of the country where religion is a predominant part of the culture, because I would feel very much a fish out of water there.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,731,667 times
Quote:
I use Ghostery. :-) I've seen as many as 5 trackers on C-D forum pages. Always these two plus a few more.

ETA a comment about the Southern states: The reason I wouldn't want to move there has nothing to do with any perceived "redneck culture" or lack of amenities, sorry if I had given that impression. My three primary reasons are (1) too many days in the year when it's hotter and more humid than I could tolerate, (2) too darn many bugs, lol and (3) much of it is in the Bible Belt. I don't want to live in any area of the country where religion is a predominant part of the culture, because I would feel very much a fish out of water there.

You could have just mentioned #3 about 6 pages back instead of using other excuses that didn't hold water

Old 06-08-2014, 07:26 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
You could have just mentioned #3 about 6 pages back instead of using other excuses that didn't hold water
They're not "excuses": They're additional factors. Everyone's entitled to evaluate a location based on their own individual priorities. I don't think most people either choose or refuse a retirement location based on JUST ONE characteristic.

If there was some Nirvana location that met all of my other preferences (moderate climate, affordable property taxes, affordable housing cost, public services, low crime rate, AND close proximity to excellent medical care) but didn't meet #3, I'd be a fool to rule that location out simply because of that one thing. At the very least I'd have to give it serious consideration.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,863,854 times
Quote:
They're not "excuses": They're additional factors. Everyone's entitled to evaluate a location based on their own individual priorities. I don't think most people either choose or refuse a retirement location based on JUST ONE characteristic.

If there was some Nirvana location that met all of my other preferences (moderate climate, affordable property taxes, affordable housing cost, public services, low crime rate, AND close proximity to excellent medical care) but didn't meet #3, I'd be a fool to rule that location out simply because of that one thing. At the very least I'd have to give it serious consideration.
That being said you ought to give consideration to the Raleigh Triangle. Many others have and depending on neighborhood etc you can have #3 ailso.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM

282 posts, read 305,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
When we announced our intention to move to eastern Tennessee ...
Tennessee is on my list of potential retirement areas to relocate. I also am considering NC and mid-northern FL. I have visited the last two this year and plan to visit several others in the next year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement