Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times

Advertisements

One thing to look at when considering retirement is do you need those bang for the buck services? Do you need a good school system? Do you need Social Services? The list goes on and on.

Many retires would be very happy with low cost versus good services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As others have said, conclusions in these cost-comparison studies are specious at best, and can be outright erroneous....

But there is one important silver lining to these articles: they promote discussion and give us impetus to consider alternatives.
True, but they also spread falsehoods about states that those who are less than diligent in their research may take as truth. These folks could write off entire states based on what are, at the least, poorly researched assumptions and, at worst, outright lies and ignorance.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
These list get worse and worse but I guess its to be expected after article ideas have been used over and over. The values given of high tax states rarely are of use to a retire single or couple in most cases. Need/wants definitely change from when your single to when your married then have children and finally retired as to things you want to pay for.that is why my nephew says he will leave Conn. when he retires as now with children gone he just does not need. he formally lived in California and like for like much better value. Then there is no comparison has to weather; even as you get to middle age.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:03 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
IMHO, most of those high tax states don't spend the money on quality services for all. They tend to spend that money on welfare programs. If someone is moving to another state for retirement or a job related moved, Govt. handouts is not one of your priorities.

(I wonder why they never have a top ten or nation wide ranking of states based on how good the free govt. handouts are.)

Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
IMHO, most of those high tax states don't spend the money on quality services for all. They tend to spend that money on welfare programs. If someone is moving to another state for retirement or a job related moved, Govt. handouts is not one of your priorities.

(I wonder why they never have a top ten or nation wide ranking of states based on how good the free govt. handouts are.)

Yes indeed !

I always thought something was wrong when Minnesota's generous welfare benefits became a magnet attracting people from Gary Indiana and Chicago (yes, Minnesota had more liberal welfare benefits than Obama's Illinois)

A few years back the state legislature tried to address it by trying to pass a law that states if you relocate to MN, you will receive either MN's rate of benefits or the state you cam form's rate....whichever is less

It would only apply to the first 6 months. After that anyone could collect MN's welfare rate.

It got dropped because a judge warned it would be unconstitutional because it...."violated ones freedom to travel "

Have you ever heard of such BALONEY !

Glad I left Minnesota !!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I agree. The article said CA has the worst pollution. LA has the worst pollution in the US. Yes, LA is part of CA, but the greater LA area covers less way less than 1% of the total area of CA.

As a side note, CA is 96% rural/wilderness. I live in CA and I get four to six feet of snow from December to April. Actually CA gets the most snow (depth) in North America. So much for the stereotypical perception of CA.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26393095-post1.html
Yes but....92% of live in cities...which most likely accounts for your legislators of superior intellect.
California CA 06000
29,760 27,571 92.6 2,189
Urban and Rural Population, and by State

Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM

730 posts, read 1,302,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Don't paint with such a broad brush !

I was seriously considering NE Alabama for retirement relocation . I am from MN

Yes just like you everybody poked fun at Alabama yet when a Minnesota young college baseball pitcher needed surgery on his pitching arm, it was announced the surgery would be at UAB Medical Hospital

(UAB= University of Alabama Birmingham )

Although Minnesota has lots of great hospitals an Mayo Clinic, he went over 1200 miles to ALABAMA for the surgery.

I doubt your post would hav e changed his mind !
I'm not poking fun at Alabama (nor at any other state)... merely saying that I myself would not want to live there (or in any of the other states on the list). It just wouldn't be a good fit for me.

I probably should have explained that my friend is moving from Long Island which is one of the best areas in the country as far as choice of excellent health care; and that's not even factoring in any of the NYC options. So compared to where she's moving from, Alabama has far less to offer in the way of number of high quality hospitals.

I'm not slamming UAB but even a quick look at the US News 'best hospital' rankings shows it with three "gold" specialties and 10 "silver" specialties. They are one of only 2 ranked hospitals in Alabama. In comparison, there are 12 ranked hospitals on Long Island. And LI's a lot smaller than Alabama. :-)

Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
As others have said, conclusions in these cost-comparison studies are specious at best, and can be outright erroneous.

So much depends on individual circumstances! For instance, a military retiree could live near a military base in a low-tax and otherwise rural and backward state, but enjoy access to good medical care.
Military retirees who move 50+ miles away from military bases can access ALL medical offices, ALL hospitals and medical centers.

In this state, Tricare is among the preferred health care plans.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Don't paint with such a broad brush !

I was seriously considering NE Alabama for retirement relocation . I am from MN

Yes just like you everybody poked fun at Alabama yet when a Minnesota young college baseball pitcher needed surgery on his pitching arm, it was announced the surgery would be at UAB Medical Hospital

(UAB= University of Alabama Birmingham )

Although Minnesota has lots of great hospitals an Mayo Clinic, he went over 1200 miles to ALABAMA for the surgery.

I doubt your post would hav e changed his mind !
i live in eastern CA. Plan to retire and die here I both support and could care less about your choice.

You too should ignore other peoples opinion about your choice to settle in Alabama. Follow your heart and be happy!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
First, there are a lot of retirees who are not relying on extensive government services.
Yeah. Get the government out of my Medicare, and Social Security. Most retirees take advantage of these government services (that they paid into).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement