Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM

2,220 posts, read 3,851,286 times

Advertisements

Mine came a bit early, when I had a major health issue at 32, with a one year old kid to take care of. Caused me to re-assess my life. Over the course of the next few years I ended up changing jobs to something lower stress, and focusing more on family and life enjoyment. I also started to learn about finance. Initially this was so I could make sure my family was as secure as possible if I was not able to work, or worse. This has morphed into planning for an intentional early retirement as things have evened out health wise.

I'm much happier now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 12:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,038,964 times
When I hit 50, I hit menopause. Well, some of you know what that's like. Anyway, I was teaching at the time...putting in probably 60 hours a week, as I was the Director of the program. I decided "All I want is a room somewhere. Far away from the cold night air. With one enormous chair. Oh, wouldn't it be loverly? Lots of chocolate for me to eat...."

So I quit the education field and went back to clinical practice in nursing...regular hours as I was working in a clinic. I adopted a "don't mess with me" personality after having been rather meek until then.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM

983 posts, read 2,526,617 times
I seem to be having one every 5 years, I am not sure if can call it a crisis but usually it ends up selling a house and buying a new one or moving to a different part of the country. Been fun till the last move, just can't keep up with the work involving moving and the headaches of it.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,692,648 times
46, lost fifty pounds and decided life is too short to not be a hottie, threw out the crappy clothes and shoes and traded up for quality, no more bargain brands. I still shop the clearance racks, but only for my select brands.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,707,041 times
I'll let you know about my mid life crises as soon as the inner child is not fully in control and allows me to have one.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM

14,183 posts, read 14,539,139 times
Professional mid life crisis.

In my early 40's (1985ish), myself and 3 others (professional and social friends) in the high tech business (all in sales and marketing) realized we were becoming dinosaurs. One incident two of us shared was a 28 year old, newly minted MBA telling several of us how things should be done. Two of us said we have seen the future of this business and it is not us.

Within 3 years, 4 of us were out of the business. Two of us bought small businesses. One bought a quick print type franchise. One stayed in sales but in an entirely different field.

Side story on the MBAer. She had been a 4th grade teacher when she decided to get an MBA. She said she had 3 offers out of graduate school. One from Gillette marketing female shaving products. One from Hanes marketing women's underwear and one from a computer company marketing computer systems. She thought the computer business would be fun and interesting.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,358,180 times
Late 30's with the biological clock ticking.

I never (ever!) wanted kids, but that darn clock was really LOUD.

So I started hosting exchange students. Did it for 10 years, over 30 girls from 1 week to 10 months. Best Christmas I ever had included girls from Germany, Japan, and Mauritius Island.

And the clock shut up

Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times
My midlife crisis consisted of not being able to cope with my job.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 PM

16 posts, read 21,154 times
Mine came about when my dad retired and sold the family house. He was a small town doctor and was well loved in our town. It made me feel very depressed about my own career which seemed pretty unimportant in comparison. It also made me feel very rootless, like i had no real home. I didn't do anything crazy but it made me feel pretty bad and i still don't feel very good about my own life.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:50 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,218,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am in my earlyish 40s, so I am due for my midlife crises. I told my wife I would forgo the 22 year old girlfriend if she doesn't complain about the sports car, actually I want a muscle car. I guess I need to take up some kind of crazy sport to prove I am not too old yet too. Rock climbing???? bungee jumping??? What should it be LOL.
Sword swallowing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement