Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:38 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,974,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Do you want to change to a job reflecting your degree?
Could be a turning point.
Great idea, but it just isn't in the cards at this point; I am pretty settled in with my current company. That said, once I semi-retire, I plan to teach either adult continuing ed class and/or teach as an adjunct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,678,070 times
I think we are having one at this exact moment. Our home is under contract for sale. When it closes, we plan to close my store, put everything we own into storage, put the dogs in the car and drive the USA until we find a place we want to live. This whole prospect frightens me because I am a planner and we have no concrete plans. My husband, on the other hand, thinks this is a great adventure.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,489,245 times
I agree with you. A bit frightening, but don't waste a minute of this grand adventure!
You'll have to relax and go with the flow; might take a few weeks.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,340,931 times
Default What was your mid life crisis if you had one.

Divorce!

Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,340,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I think we are having one at this exact moment. Our home is under contract for sale. When it closes, we plan to close my store, put everything we own into storage, put the dogs in the car and drive the USA until we find a place we want to live. This whole prospect frightens me because I am a planner and we have no concrete plans. My husband, on the other hand, thinks this is a great adventure.
And well he should because it is. That's how we looked upon our retirement move of 2,000 miles. We'd found where and were in escrow on a house but hadn't yet closed. It was a leap of faith to pack up, have our belongings moved, hop in the car and head out before the closing but in the end it all worked out. Five days after we arrived we did close on the house and two days later we moved in lock, stock and barrel.

Had the previous owners not gone through with the sale - they were quite squirrely and fighting one another over the sale - we would have had our household goods stored, rented a furnished cabin and continued looking. We knew this was where we wanted to be.

Best of luck to you!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,913,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Your screen name says you're "looking at Florida." Have you widened your possibilities?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:10 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,678,070 times
NEG, we haven't ruled anyplace out except for anywhere that has a military treatment facility (MTF) that our insurance would force us to use. Originally I was very interested in Jacksonville, FL but we would have to use the MTF.

I want a place which has good medical care, and where I can get the surgery that I need. But, I also want weather that is comfortable for me, so that rules out anywhere with a real winter. It would be so much easier if we just bought a different home here, but the surgery I need is not performed here.

It's always something!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,002,844 times
I don't know if it's a crisis.....but whatever it is, I guess it's evidenced by not being retired, in fact being about 10 years from retirement -- and yet reading the 'retirement' board.

I'm 54 and I don't want to work anymore. I'm burned out mentally, have health and care issues I'm overseeing long distance concerning my 88 year old mom, and my mind and interest are just not about work anymore. Yet I have at least 8 more years until age 62.

I think about retirement -- or more exactly not working -- everyday.
You know, -- the "if only I could get 3 months off" mindset. It's hard to get time off from work, and I couldn't get the kind of time I want anyway, so why bother.

My 'crisis' will be staying sane for another 10 years...all the while hating having to work.
I have no doubt it's related to the additional issues with mom, but once that's no longer the case, there'll be other issues....for example, seeing after the family home long distance.

I guess I've been thrown so, because to be honest until I hit my mid 50s -- being single with no kids and in good health -- life was excellent I had no cares, no responsibilities or demands on my time....and I was spoiled I guess.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,374,800 times
rdflk, I know exactly what you mean. Exactly.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,303,842 times
I think I am now getting into my 3/4 life crisis. That's where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel ... and it's the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement