U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,551,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most of the Seattle area has less bugs than many areas of the country. We do get some mosquitoes in spring due to standing water until July or so when it starts to dry out. We also do get some yellow jackets in summer, but not too bad. The worst problem for bugs is the spiders. We call August/September spider season. Nothing harmful, just annoying to run into a web when you go out the door in the morning.
Yep, I will echo all of this. Seattle isn't very buggy. (excepting "spider season") Having grown up in Central America and moved her in my late teens, I really appreciated the change!

As far as flying stuff, maybe the occasional fruit fly... but in general, not much.

Of course, while I'd say we have a "moderate" climate, I don't know if the weather here is exactly what the OP is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzzzzzz View Post
There are few bugs in San Francisco, LA and Tucson.
The Tucson area has lots of bugs, even more in rural desert areas. Termites are a huge problem, especially since they persist in building wood frame houses. There are also kissing bugs, scorpions, centipedes, a variety of spiders, including tarantulas as big as your hand, mosquitos for about the last 20 years, millions of ants, etc.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What do you consider a moderate climate? Redding is hot, already up to 100 degrees. But, the winter was really mild, with just a dusting of snow around Thanksgiving. I've just seen a few flies lately.

And, we haven't had any ticks. I take my dog down to the river, and she runs around in the brush, and never a tick so far. I've asked people at the river about their experience with ticks in the area, and was told, no ticks at least by the river in the Redding area. This makes me very happy .
Where is Redding? What state?

Moderate means not too much snow and ice. A little bit is OK.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,488,038 times
Anywhere in California close to the coast will have minimal bugs.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
Very few bugs in Nevada! No mosquitoes or ticks in Las Vegas. We do have ants and roaches but the roaches die when it gets hot.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:39 PM

730 posts, read 1,027,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Termites are a huge problem, especially since they persist in building wood frame houses. There are also kissing bugs, scorpions, centipedes, a variety of spiders, including tarantulas as big as your hand, mosquitos for about the last 20 years, millions of ants, etc.
I couldn't resist looking up "kissing bugs" because I'd never heard that one before, LOL.

They're also known as "assassin bugs" which at first I confused with the assassin bugs (Milkweed Assassin Bug, Masked Hunter Assassin Bug, etc) that are good guys and eat lots of nasty bugs including mosquitoes and flies... but after reading up on YOURS I see why they're a problem. Yikes!

Your type of termite is the one where they treat by tenting houses, right?

Old 06-06-2014, 01:01 PM

The termites that cause problems in the Tucson area are subterranean. They spray or inject termiticide into the ground, etc. to kill them. I haven't seen anyone tent here.

Kissing bugs are bad. They fortunately have a short season from late May until the monsoon in late June or early July.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:17 PM

730 posts, read 1,027,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The termites that cause problems in the Tucson area are subterranean. They spray or inject termiticide into the ground, etc. to kill them. I haven't seen anyone tent here.

Kissing bugs are bad. They fortunately have a short season from late May until the monsoon in late June or early July.
Ah, we have the subterranean ones here too. I know they tent down south, for the drywood termites. Actually I've had excellent success with the termite bait systems for the subterranean ones.

Monsoons?? In Arizona???

ETA: Speaking of PITA bugs, the brown marmorated stinkbug has made it way up the East coast as far as LI and the Hudson Valley, as per reports last fall. Not only are they a problem in homes but for commercial crops as well.

http://blogs.cornell.edu/hort/2011/0...ed-stink-bugs/

http://www.longisland.com/news/10-05...ng-island.html

Not sure if they are in other parts of the country yet, but eventually they will be for sure. They were accidentally introduced into eastern PA in the late 1990s.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM

4,575 posts, read 9,646,965 times
I grew up 40 miles East of San Francisco and 3 years ago moved to 18 miles North of Reno at 5100'. I was pleased at how short the insect season is here. Our first freeze will be late September, and can still freeze into early June (not this year though). Yes, we've killed tomatoes planting too early. The dry climate is great compared to California. It was 90 degrees yesterday and we've yet to use our AC this year.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:31 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,952,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Anywhere in California close to the coast will have minimal bugs.
This is true. I grew up in Los Angeles and was shocked when I moved to Little Rock and then Houston. What a huge difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement