U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM

5,578 posts, read 5,093,804 times

Advertisements

LOL, I was thinking you were going to have to avoid Amish country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:50 PM

10,816 posts, read 15,122,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
As summer brings all kinds of bugs, many biting or venomous, I'm wondering if there is anywhere with a moderate climate that isn't full of bugs. I think it's unlikely, but if you live somewhere like this, please share.

Don't even THINK of Florida for retirement if bugs are an issue.

florida love bugs - Yahoo Image Search Results

Sure, they come "only" twice a year. May and September. LOVE BUG HELL. Coincides with the snowbirds' coming and going.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:12 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
It seems to me that at any time during the season there will be some bugs of some kind.
Some, yes. But we have very few bugs (compared to most regions) here in northern CA, particularly as you head out to the cooler coastal towns... it's wonderful!! Not sure what qualifies as a "retirement location," but many from this area retire to places like Monterey, Lake County, Lake Tahoe, Sonoma/Napa, certain parts of the Sacramento Valley, or head south to Palm Springs. None of these places are particularly cheap, though, which I guess is the price you pay for great year-round weather + fewer bugs.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
Quote:
Where is Redding? What state?

Moderate means not too much snow and ice. A little bit is OK.
Redding is in California, about 2.5 hours north of Sacramento along I-5. Not too much going on up there, and it does have some issues (meth etc)... also rather politically conservative, if that matters to you in either direction. But I do hear it's nice for retirement, especially if you like doing outdoorsy stuff!

FYI: Their weather is very hot and dry in the summer, cool but not TOO cold (bit of snow) in the winter, and I'm not sure about the bugs. I haven't spent much actual time there, but did used to drive through & occasionally stay overnight on my way to/from college in Oregon - and all I know is that my front bumper would be covered in "bug guts" after passing through that region. I doubt it's as bad as Florida, for example, so might be tolerable enough for ya. If you end up looking in that area, however, I would recommend also looking around Shasta Lake or thereabouts.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Redding-California.html

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-06-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:24 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,013,008 times
Default bring it on, low pressure systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
When I visit friends in West Seattle, they keep the windows open without the flyscreens in place.....I rarely see any bugs when we are sitting out in the garden, just alot of hummingbirds flying around.
They tell me there is no bug problem in West Seattle.
Insects can't fly in a low pressure system. That's why green Oregon and the wet coast of N. America isn't really buggy.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Quote:
Where is Redding? What state?

Moderate means not too much snow and ice. A little bit is OK.
So sorry! I'm glad you asked, as I will change my location to add "CA."

Redding is really moderate, then. Very pleasant winter. I heard it normally rains a lot more than it did this winter, but if you look at the data for number of days of sunshine, it's around 250 days of sun.

The summers are long, and hot and dry. If you can go play in the river, or go out early, you'll be fine. No bugs to speak of, and no ticks yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Redding is in California, about 2.5 hours north of Sacramento along I-5. Not too much going on up there, and it does have some issues (meth etc)... also rather politically conservative, if that matters to you in either direction. But I do hear it's nice for retirement, especially if you like doing outdoorsy stuff!

FYI: Their weather is very hot and dry in the summer, cool but not TOO cold (bit of snow) in the winter, and I'm not sure about the bugs. I haven't spent much actual time there, but did used to drive through & occasionally stay overnight on my way to/from college in Oregon - and all I know is that my front bumper would be covered in "bug guts" after passing through that region. I doubt it's as bad as Florida, for example, so might be tolerable enough for ya. If you end up looking in that area, however, I would recommend also looking around Shasta Lake or thereabouts.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Redding-California.html
You know, the area does vote majority Republican, but there are plenty of Democrats here, too.

The meth thing drives me nuts. I don't see any meth heads, and I'm downtown where they would be if they were homeless. People talk like there are gajillions of meth heads wandering the streets in giant crowds like zombies. If they're here, I don't know where they are hiding.

One thing I love about Redding is the lack of crowds, lines and traffic. It's a decent sized city with lots of amenities (pop around 90,000), but you can actually get a DMV appointment in one day, and be in and out in 30 minutes. You can always find parking. No traffic jams.

Wait, what am I doing?

Nevermind everyone! Redding is terrible. Meth heads everywhere! Bugs as big as your head! Definitely don't move here!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzzzzzz View Post
There are few bugs in San Francisco, LA and Tucson.
Just recently watched a couple of old episodes of Dirty Jobs and San Francisco didn't exactly look bug free. I'm from NYC and know a thing or two about cockroaches and water bugs and those were some seriously big roaches running around Mike Rowe.

There was also a show called "Verminators" a few years back that was filmed in LA. They were killing something by the thousands in some of those apartments.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:14 PM

720 posts, read 1,484,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Ah, we have the subterranean ones here too. I know they tent down south, for the drywood termites. Actually I've had excellent success with the termite bait systems for the subterranean ones.

Monsoons?? In Arizona???

ETA: Speaking of PITA bugs, the brown marmorated stinkbug has made it way up the East coast as far as LI and the Hudson Valley, as per reports last fall. Not only are they a problem in homes but for commercial crops as well.

Cornell Horticulture Watch out for brown marmorated stink bugs

Stink Bugs Have Invaded Long Island | LongIsland.com

Not sure if they are in other parts of the country yet, but eventually they will be for sure. They were accidentally introduced into eastern PA in the late 1990s.
Maybe 4 years ago we camped in Gettysburg. Stinkbugs everywhere! Had never seen them before. Some hitchhiked home on our camper and ever after, we occasionally see the odd one around the house or in the camper.They are indestructible!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I once was going to enter a woods in Maine on a trip. Then I was warned to wear a bug suit and head cover because of biting black flies; mosquitoes and no see ems of some kind. I decided to forego the walk.
We visited the Rachel Carson Preserve which is woods opening up to salt marsh right on the coast. The woman at the desk literally would not let us go in unless we put on mosquito repellant. It was like a scene from a horror movie. Where we applied repellant was fine but our clothes were completely covered with hundreds of mosquitoes.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,624,075 times
In Denver we don't have all those creepy bugs being discussed but we have plenty of snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement