U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Ah, we have the subterranean ones here too. I know they tent down south, for the drywood termites. Actually I've had excellent success with the termite bait systems for the subterranean ones.

Monsoons?? In Arizona???
I've had good luck with the baits too, but most people just blast their homes with pesticides at regular intervals.

Yes, we have monsoons every summer. The humidity goes way up from zero (now). Awesome thunderstorms with very heavy rains. Scorpions then come inside the house to escape the rain. On the plus side, when they come in they eat all the noisy crickets, their favorite food.
None of those stink bugs like in the East here yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
'Buggy' is relative. We lived in Florida for six years and weren't bothered by bugs. We got sprayed quarterly and those little lizards did a good job of keeping insects under control. We had no overhanging trees and we kept our landscaping healthy. Now we live on Cape Cod where there's usually a good stiff breeze off the ocean and we're inundated with bugs. Retire wherever you want and call a good exterminator.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Default Non-buggy retirement locations?

Elementary! Avoid areas with significant Amish populations.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elementary! Avoid areas with significant Amish populations.
Lancaster Pennsylvania alert and parts of Ohio Buggy with slow moving ones.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:57 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,509,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
As summer brings all kinds of bugs, many biting or venomous, I'm wondering if there is anywhere with a moderate climate that isn't full of bugs. I think it's unlikely, but if you live somewhere like this, please share.
San Diego, perfect climate, and no bugs. I do see spiders in the fall, that is about it.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:06 AM

9,760 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Reading all these responses to the OP's question, brings to mind the first thought I had when I read his post. I was wondering if he was limiting his search to this planet....

Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Maybe 4 years ago we camped in Gettysburg. Stinkbugs everywhere! Had never seen them before. Some hitchhiked home on our camper and ever after, we occasionally see the odd one around the house or in the camper.They are indestructible!
Actually, there may be a glimmer of hope: In a recent issue of Garden Gate magazine there was a report that there MAY be a biological control in the offing (another bug that preys on the stinkbug larvae). I'm not at home now and so can't check it but will see if I can find it later.

I'm curious: What does it actually smell like? Everything I've read says it's "foul" but is it as bad as, say, skunk?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:00 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Actually, there may be a glimmer of hope: In a recent issue of Garden Gate magazine there was a report that there MAY be a biological control in the offing (another bug that preys on the stinkbug larvae). I'm not at home now and so can't check it but will see if I can find it later.

I'm curious: What does it actually smell like? Everything I've read says it's "foul" but is it as bad as, say, skunk?
Since I grab them with a massive handful of napkins , crush and toss, I've never smelled. Don't want to unfold and sniff. :-p

Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Both Summer and warm climates tend to attract and be conducive to insects. Unless you are seeking a relatively cold climate, you may have to compromise.
I've been in "cold places" in the summer (like upstate New York) and been attacked by black flies. Cripes - they're nasty. Aggressive too. Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 02:25 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,938,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzzzzzz View Post
There are few bugs in San Francisco, LA and Tucson.
At least in Los Angeles - the few that exist there found me (my legs got all bitten up by no-see-ums dining on a restaurant patio one night). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement