U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,925,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Phoenix never had many bugs what I saw. If you're out a ways in the desert, there's some snakes and scorpions, but I never saw a scorpion for the years I lived there--not one. I never saw a snake either. A few spiders and a few other bugs, but much less than the south!
Funny. My brother lives in Scottsdale. We visit from time to time. And we've seen snakes - scorpions - lizards - javelinas - and many other kinds of critters - just sitting outside on our hotel room patio. No flying bugs that I recall though. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
...Monsoons?? In Arizona???...
Yes - at least in Phoenix:

Arizona Monsoon Thunderstorms - Phoenix Monsoons

We've been there in monsoon season (we tend to visit family in low season ). And it is weird. Like a million inches of rain in an hour. Roads flood - dry arroyos become raging rivers - etc. And then the sun comes out - and a few hours later - it's dry as a bone. There are warning signs in the area about places that are prone to this kind of flooding - and one ignores them at his peril. Robyn

P.S. The dust storms can be pretty awesome too.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...dust-s-1/52066

But we've never been there during a dust storm.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Very few bugs in Nevada! No mosquitoes or ticks in Las Vegas. We do have ants and roaches but the roaches die when it gets hot.
But there are plenty of termites in Nevada (might not bother you until they swarm in your bedroom one day ):

Destructive Termites in Nevada

Is the construction in Nevada mostly stick or block? Robyn

P.S. Seattle and most parts of Washington have termites too:

http://www.termites.com/regional-ter...on/washington/

As do most places in the country (including cold places like Denver). Termites may not bite people - but they're the animal/bug that causes the most economic damage to homeowners.

Last edited by Robyn55; 06-07-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Don't even THINK of Florida for retirement if bugs are an issue.

florida love bugs - Yahoo Image Search Results

Sure, they come "only" twice a year. May and September. LOVE BUG HELL. Coincides with the snowbirds' coming and going.
We don't get love bugs here in coastal NE Florida - and we didn't get them in coastal SE Florida either. They seem to be mostly an inland and especially a central Florida phenomenon. We have our share of bugs here - but not those. Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM

4,575 posts, read 9,642,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So sorry! I'm glad you asked, as I will change my location to add "CA."

Redding is really moderate, then. Very pleasant winter. I heard it normally rains a lot more than it did this winter, but if you look at the data for number of days of sunshine, it's around 250 days of sun.

The summers are long, and hot and dry. If you can go play in the river, or go out early, you'll be fine. No bugs to speak of, and no ticks yay!

You know, the area does vote majority Republican, but there are plenty of Democrats here, too.

The meth thing drives me nuts. I don't see any meth heads, and I'm downtown where they would be if they were homeless. People talk like there are gajillions of meth heads wandering the streets in giant crowds like zombies. If they're here, I don't know where they are hiding.

One thing I love about Redding is the lack of crowds, lines and traffic. It's a decent sized city with lots of amenities (pop around 90,000), but you can actually get a DMV appointment in one day, and be in and out in 30 minutes. You can always find parking. No traffic jams.

Wait, what am I doing?

Nevermind everyone! Redding is terrible. Meth heads everywhere! Bugs as big as your head! Definitely don't move here!
Not to be rude, but there are ticks in Redding, so if you have a dog keep an eye out. Hiking in cooler months on North facing slopes will find them. My dogs have a short coat so they're easy to see.

I agree Redding is one of the nicer areas of California. Trinity to the West, Mount Lassen to the East, with lake Shasta a couple miles North.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Just recently watched a couple of old episodes of Dirty Jobs and San Francisco didn't exactly look bug free. I'm from NYC and know a thing or two about cockroaches and water bugs and those were some seriously big roaches running around Mike Rowe.

There was also a show called "Verminators" a few years back that was filmed in LA. They were killing something by the thousands in some of those apartments.
There's a difference between native outdoor bugs - and perhaps things that eat your house - like termites (which I think is what the OP was asking about) and those that are basically vermin IMO. Our giant cockroaches - what most people here call Palmetto bugs - are outdoor critters you're more likely to find in your garden than your house unless you leave your windows and doors open. And bear no relationship IMO (except perhaps genetically) to those nasty German cockroaches you find by the hundreds in nasty apartment buildings everywhere. I see the former all the time (almost always outside unless I've left the patio doors open) - but haven't seen the latter since I moved out of crummy student housing decades ago.

It's like mice/rats. We have some native mice/rats here that are outdoor critters (and do useful environmental things like keeping native bug populations under control ). I've never found one of those inside. And - although they may be related to the mice/rats that live inside places (especially restaurants) that are filthy - they don't bother me at all. Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Not to be rude, but there are ticks in Redding, so if you have a dog keep an eye out. Hiking in cooler months on North facing slopes will find them. My dogs have a short coat so they're easy to see.

I agree Redding is one of the nicer areas of California. Trinity to the West, Mount Lassen to the East, with lake Shasta a couple miles North.
Don't most wooded areas everywhere have ticks? I am fairly ignorant about ticks. But my lot is wooded - and I've wound up with a couple of tick bites here (I know because I pulled the ticks off me). I had the antibiotics for Lyme disease when I got the bites. Lyme disease is pretty much unknown in these parts. But - for five bucks worth of antibiotics that don't have any big drug risks - why take a chance?

The only bugs that really bother me are those I can't keep off with bug spray. Black flies in a few rural/remote areas up north were in that category. Also mosquitoes in Everglades National Park - even in "non-bug" season. Where I live now - the only bugs in that category are deer flies. And they're weird. Although our lot is wooded in back - and borders on a marsh in the back - I only encounter the deer flies out front when I go outside to get the morning paper. Robyn

Old 06-07-2014, 04:36 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Too dry for mosquitoes here in Northern Utah/Rockies.

We sit out on our deck most nights - not bothered by ANY bugs.

It's a PLEASURE after growing up in Wisconsin where they are the size of B52 Bombers.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:50 PM

10,825 posts, read 15,127,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We don't get love bugs here in coastal NE Florida - and we didn't get them in coastal SE Florida either. They seem to be mostly an inland and especially a central Florida phenomenon. We have our share of bugs here - but not those. Robyn
SW Florida is plagued with the critters. Ruins the paint on your cars too, they leave their icky sticky stuff on your car. And they like "hang" in the air, they don't fly fast because they are having wild sex during flight. The male once satiated, dies right off and his prodigy live on to love again. Anything that you find in a swampy area, you will find in FL. Can you imagine what the groundwater is saturated with there .... yuck just think about it. I would never cook with water out of the tap in FL, we had a whole house water purification system as well as filters in the fridge constantly. And don't get me started on the freaking ants!

Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Yes - at least in Phoenix:

Arizona Monsoon Thunderstorms - Phoenix Monsoons

We've been there in monsoon season (we tend to visit family in low season ). And it is weird. Like a million inches of rain in an hour. Roads flood - dry arroyos become raging rivers - etc. And then the sun comes out - and a few hours later - it's dry as a bone. There are warning signs in the area about places that are prone to this kind of flooding - and one ignores them at his peril. Robyn

P.S. The dust storms can be pretty awesome too.

Phoenix Dust Storm a "100-Year Event"

But we've never been there during a dust storm.
you do not want to be either. Or in Vegas in march winds and heat. But the Hill country of Texas is also subject to easy flooding when they get a lot of rain. Creeks that are dry most of year rage. They just have little but natural drainage in most areas. Colorado in mountains is dangerous when they get heavy rain because it starts rock slides. We saw what happened in Rural areas of new England when the had heavy rains from Sandy. When unprepared because it's not usual and most places have problems of all sorts. Was in Boston areas in 85 and they had late season hurricane at low 74MPH winds and couldn't believe the trees downed. On lower coast those tress are trimmed as they know what easily downed trees means. Sandy was really not a very strong storm even the surge compared most on lower coasts.I hated just the very day dust when we visited my wife's sister and husband when in military there. It was fine and could get in no matter what it seemed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement