U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:17 PM

720 posts, read 1,485,881 times

Advertisements

Mom lives in central coastal Florida, they get the love bugs there. She has someone spray every 2 monthes, and has never had inside visitors. In coastal NC the palmetto bugs are as big as cats, we spray OTC bug stuff when we're down every few monthes. There are always a very few DEAD ones near the outside walls when we return. The first time we bug bombed the crawl space, the dog and I had left. DH said it was like "The Exodus". Glad I missed that. Sister outside of LA has no screens, no flying bugs, very dry there. Where we live in CT is bug city, no idea why, we aren't near swamps. Mosquitoes, small and gigantic, ticks galore,beetles, flies. One time we in the ocean in NC and a black fly bit a chunk out of my son's forehead, blood running down his face, pain, nasty. Spiders are another subject. :-\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:49 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Mom lives in central coastal Florida, they get the love bugs there. She has someone spray every 2 monthes, and has never had inside visitors. In coastal NC the palmetto bugs are as big as cats, we spray OTC bug stuff when we're down every few monthes. There are always a very few DEAD ones near the outside walls when we return. The first time we bug bombed the crawl space, the dog and I had left. DH said it was like "The Exodus". Glad I missed that. Sister outside of LA has no screens, no flying bugs, very dry there. Where we live in CT is bug city, no idea why, we aren't near swamps. Mosquitoes, small and gigantic, ticks galore,beetles, flies. One time we in the ocean in NC and a black fly bit a chunk out of my son's forehead, blood running down his face, pain, nasty. Spiders are another subject. :-\
I rarely think about the annoyance of bugs unless I am travelling in certain areas of the country. I suppose I am so used to not having them here (well, there are some bugs, but not to the extent that they become a significant annoyance) that I just take it for granted.

Chalk up one more advantage to life in Southern California. There are enough disadvantages (well, only two major ones, but they are really major - high cost of living and significant traffic congestion) that I am just glad to note a positive when one comes up on the open forum here.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:44 PM

679 posts, read 618,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Someone told me years ago that there were no mosquitos in Hawaii. I've never been there & am dubious about it but....
I live in Maui on the leeward side, no mosquitos here but we do have some small scorpions, huge centipedes, the usual roaches, tiny ants and bunches of geckos both green and tan ones. Feral cats and wild chickens everywhere.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
I live in Maui on the leeward side, no mosquitos here but we do have some small scorpions, huge centipedes, the usual roaches, tiny ants and bunches of geckos both green and tan ones. Feral cats and wild chickens everywhere.
I presume at least the feral cats control the rat and mouse populations?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:35 AM

457 posts, read 778,034 times
Albuquerque. Went hiking all the time and no allergies or bugs. LOVED IT.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:12 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Actually, there may be a glimmer of hope: In a recent issue of Garden Gate magazine there was a report that there MAY be a biological control in the offing (another bug that preys on the stinkbug larvae). I'm not at home now and so can't check it but will see if I can find it later.

Found it; it's in the current (June 2014) issue of Garden Gate:

A control may be coming for the brown marmorated stink bug. Over the past three years, USDA researchers have experimented with a parasitoid wasp native to Asia that only lays its eggs in the pest’s eggs. If research concludes that it does not affect other beneficial varieties of stink bug, the gnatlike wasp could be introduced into the United States this year.

I sure hope they do introduce those tiny wasps; I was surprised to read on the EPA website that these bugs have now been reported in 38 states!

Old 06-08-2014, 08:39 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,959,765 times
I live in Colorado Springs, CO. Sometimes we leave the doors open for a bit when we decide we like the feel/smell of the outside air. Miller Moths come through here for 2 weeks in the year. That is our only bug challenge all year.

If you prefer larger cities, Denver is very comparable. If you prefer smaller cities, Fort Collins is also comparable.

When I first started doing geography research a few years ago (hobby), I discovered that the presence of bugs was strongly correlated with two factors. Humidity, and day/night temperature change. High humidity = more bugs. Low temperature change = more bugs. Now there are other factors that clearly come into play, however, these seem to be the largest two factors.

What this means is the whole front range has very few bugs. For bugs to thrive up here, they must be able to deal with the intense over night cold that makes many plants go dormant in the winter and the lack of water. Basically from Fort Collins to Albuquerque the bug population should be very small. IIRC SLC may have some bug issues because I believe their summer may get more humid than is normal at that elevation because of the way the mountains surround the city.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:23 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,261,178 times
" Everything that grows in this country'll either bite, stab or stick you."

- John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn 1975

Old 06-08-2014, 09:31 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
At least we don't have to worry about giant leeches (a la Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen), LOL

Trivia: According to TCM.com, real leeches were used in the scene where he gets covered in them; and the ants were so bad that the legs of the beds had to be set into pools of kerosene!

The African Queen (1951) - Articles - TCM.com

Now THAT'S a bug problem, LOL

Old 06-08-2014, 01:54 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,037,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I live in Colorado Springs, CO. Sometimes we leave the doors open for a bit when we decide we like the feel/smell of the outside air. Miller Moths come through here for 2 weeks in the year. That is our only bug challenge all year.

If you prefer larger cities, Denver is very comparable. If you prefer smaller cities, Fort Collins is also comparable.
Actually, Ft Collins has been of interest to me for several years. People have told me they have few bugs there, except for mosquitos.

And no one told the So. AZ, bugs that low humidity and big temperature swings from day to night mean less of them. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement