Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Then you also have other problems. There is a reason for them .Its like killing all the snakes then having rodent problems like we see in some cities. Ever been to Alaska which is cold climate and seen the bugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM

16 posts, read 21,251 times
There are few bugs in San Francisco, LA and Tucson.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Sacramento has relatively few bugs, at least compared to the areas east of the Mississippi.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
As summer brings all kinds of bugs, many biting or venomous, I'm wondering if there is anywhere with a moderate climate that isn't full of bugs. I think it's unlikely, but if you live somewhere like this, please share.
What do you consider a moderate climate? Redding is hot, already up to 100 degrees. But, the winter was really mild, with just a dusting of snow around Thanksgiving. I've just seen a few flies lately.

And, we haven't had any ticks. I take my dog down to the river, and she runs around in the brush, and never a tick so far. I've asked people at the river about their experience with ticks in the area, and was told, no ticks at least by the river in the Redding area. This makes me very happy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post

I'd be curious to know what areas (other than where I live now) don't have to worry about brown recluse spiders, fire ants, or palmetto bugs. Although I think those last two are restricted to areas south of Maryland, right?
Yikes! No giant bugs here, haven't run into fire ants, but haven't gone out to the big state parks yet, but none around the river where I walk right in the Redding area.

Also, haven't seen a mosquito yet. I think it's just too dry here, even though the river is in town, it's a pretty fast moving river.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Phoenix never had many bugs what I saw. If you're out a ways in the desert, there's some snakes and scorpions, but I never saw a scorpion for the years I lived there--not one. I never saw a snake either. A few spiders and a few other bugs, but much less than the south!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
North Carolina is insect and bug free while driving through with the windows up and no stops. Otherwise it might be considered a bug nesting ground

Old 06-06-2014, 09:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzzzzzz View Post
There are few bugs in San Francisco, LA and Tucson.
LOL, we had to scrape plenty of bugs off our windshield when we arrived in LA after traveling cross-country. We remarked how they "grow them big out here."

Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I once was going to enter a woods in Maine on a trip. Then I was warned to wear a bug suit and head cover because of biting black flies; mosquitoes and no see ems of some kind. I decided to forego the walk.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:27 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I once was going to enter a woods in Maine on a trip. Then I was warned to wear a bug suit and head cover because of biting black flies; mosquitoes and no see ems of some kind. I decided to forego the walk.

tex that was a good choice. Having grown up in Maine it would take many months of body conditioning to make it so that as the first bugs bite you your blood/skin cells are toxic enough for the bugs to make them scream "Don't bite him! He is deadly!!!" as they fall to the earth.

It drives my wife crazy to see the bugs avoid me and drive directly to her.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:29 AM

730 posts, read 1,301,513 times
Also depends on the type of mosquito. I'm their favorite food so I know ALL about them, LOL

There's the mosquito that bothers you in the early morning and evening hours.. and THEN there is now also the Asian Tiger Mosquito which I am convinced was invented by some particularly sadistic demon. :-/ Those miserable things bite ALL DAY.

Scientist Explains Why Mosquitos Are Biting All Day Long « CBS Philly

They usually start becoming a problem here in late June (earlier if it's hot) and make life miserable all. summer. long. -- basically until the real autumn weather sets in, in late Sept or early October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement