U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 01:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times

Advertisements

This is a bit refreshing article on careers / employment changes and volunteering in your second half.

For Some Retirees, a Second Act Is Easier Than Expected NYT

Encore Fellowships just might be the right spot for some. Encore.org | combine purpose, passion and a paycheck.

Others might find purpose in volunteering (locally or internationally.)
International Volunteer Programs Association
Volunteer Abroad, International Volunteer | Apply for Volunteer Programs Online

Many non-profits or ministries have such programs as 'Finishing Well' and 'Second Half'.

As mentioned this week in the business news... 35% of retirees become self employed or entrepreneurs. Many are quite successful as Franchisees, as they can invest the time to get one location profitable, then start another, and another. Selling a profitable Franchise location can really bolster your later retirement funds.

Others do the Real Estate investment business. I have (3) 90+ yr olds that bought triple net commercial real estate in their 60's and 70's. They get an average of 10 - 12% net returns on investments over 10 yrs old. (I.e. bought a building for $500k, and now getting $5k clear cash flows every month.

Certainly many are managing their investments in such a way to equal as much or more than wage income. It is a job for some, recreation for others.

Of course many will argue that 'retirement' include no such thing as the word or notion of WORK

I'm glad we each have our own pursuits and we live in an economic environment that allows so much choice! I am grateful for all the 'ole-timers' who stuck with me to knock some sense into a wayward youth. I'm also for those who golf all day, everyday. One friend sold his company 30 yrs ago and has never missed a day on the course since!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement