U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times

Advertisements

As someone said only two dates are important and devided by a dash. Concentrate on the dash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:11 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
We have enough to live comfortably to 95. I watched my father's father and my mother's mother reach that or close.

I'll pass.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,552 times
I often wonder how much individual psychology factors into longevity.

I knew someone who often said, in all seriousness, "I'll never see 60" as early as his late 20s which is when I first met him. His rationale for this was the fact that his paternal uncle died of a heart attack at age 55, and that his father had a heart attack at the age of 58 (although said father was given a pacemaker, quit smoking, and ultimately lived to the age of 96!). Supposedly these two incidents convinced him that was doomed to die before age 60. His chosen lifestyle involved being a heavy smoker (4 packs a day) starting at age 12, choosing a high-stress career, drinking regularly, and engaging in zero exercise after playing football in highschool. On the rare occasions when someone would suggest he quit smoking, his response would be "There's no point, because I'll never make 60." This was not said flippantly, he was dead serious (no pun intended). That's what he sincerely believed.

At the age of 55 he dropped dead of a heart attack. The autopsy report showed that his arteries were almost 95% blocked. The medical examiner remarked that he was surprised the man hadn't had the heart attack sooner.

So the question is: Self-fulfilling prophecy, or deliberate self-destruction? The person in question happened to be my ex-husband, and I honestly believe that his belief (that he wouldn't reach age 60) was the driver for the lifestyle (self-fulfilling prophecy). And that the belief was so strong that it cancelled out what many people would consider strong motivators to live beyond that particular age (such as seeing one's child grow to adulthood/marriage/grandchild etc).

Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How many of believe we will reach age 85?

(I'm guessing 83 at the latest)

I hope not !!! I'm ready and willing to die as soon as my last dog dies and my last 2 are each 14 yrs old. I'm sick of this life - bored, tired and want a new body.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:20 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
Quote:

I'm guessing 102 at least. Sad to say. Because my body parts will wear out.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:
I read somewhere long ago that our probable age of death is between what age each of our parents died. My father died at 62, my mother at 92, and both grandmothers at 76. So the expectation for me is....
Interesting. My dad died at 84 but would have lived longer if his lifelong injury issues hadn't 'done him in'. He had a massive heart attack in the end though and we didn't even know he HAD a heart "problem". My birth mom died at 44 but it was a boating accident so don't know how long she would've lived. My Mom is 87 and still kicking but 'my' longevity isn't connected to her genes. (She's been my mom since I was 4) My birth mom's parents both died in their 80s and my dad's parents died early 90s. All mostly from old age and it's attendant problems. I always say that my family dies either young and tragic or old and worn out. So far that's been the truth. In my entire family, on both sides, we've had exactly two deaths from cancer or any other really bad thing, actually. I had a cousin who was born with MS, wasn't expected to live past 15 but made it to early 30s. Even the people who marry into our family seem to do pretty darn good healthwise.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:46 PM

8,618 posts, read 9,684,845 times
Quote:

I think I hope I do. lol Depends on what my health situation, etc. is. So far so good though.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 9,238 times
Default Solution for Retirement Planning and death date

I only need my money to last until age 70. At that point, I spread it among several insurance companies for life annuities to bring in about $20,000 a month. They pay me as long as I live. The only issue is the rate of inflation which is not that great a risk as long as one is not exposed (i.e. if you own a home rather than rent, have your own source of water and power, etc)

Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanberch View Post
I only need my money to last until age 70. At that point, I spread it among several insurance companies for life annuities to bring in about $20,000 a month. They pay me as long as I live. The only issue is the rate of inflation which is not that great a risk as long as one is not exposed (i.e. if you own a home rather than rent, have your own source of water and power, etc)
$20,000 per MONTH?

Excuse me if I take that with about a half-pound of salt. ;-)

Old 06-19-2014, 12:38 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
I already know when I'm going to die, I had my life lines on my palms read 5 times when I was in India, and how could they be wrong!!!

4 read 82, one read 83.

Now if they had only given me the exact day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or