U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:58 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,850,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I hope not !!! I'm ready and willing to die as soon as my last dog dies and my last 2 are each 14 yrs old. I'm sick of this life - bored, tired and want a new body.

That is sad! Please do not think that way. Life is too short as it is. Volunteer at an animal shelter. Work at Walmart as a greeter. Move to "The Villages" in Florida. Do something to break that bleak feeling. That is completely unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM

730 posts, read 1,027,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Work at Walmart as a greeter. Move to "The Villages" in Florida.
You do realize that for many people, being tied naked to an anthill might be preferable to doing either of those things? LOL

I know people mean well when they recommend things like volunteering, getting involved in "social" organizations or clubs, do this do that get involved, etc, but that's simply not suitable for everyone. For instance, I like people BUT only in small doses (so to speak) and I have always loathed any kind of club/organization situation. I'm not a misogynist but I'm just not emotionally suited to be a caregiver. Volunteering at a hospital, soup kitchen, shelter or similar place might "uplift" some people but for me it would be very depressing and upsetting. There's no one-size-fits-all recommendation for everyone. :-)

Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
You do realize that for many people, being tied naked to an anthill might be preferable to doing either of those things? LOL

I know people mean well when they recommend things like volunteering, getting involved in "social" organizations or clubs, do this do that get involved, etc, but that's simply not suitable for everyone. For instance, I like people BUT only in small doses (so to speak) and I have always loathed any kind of club/organization situation. I'm not a misogynist but I'm just not emotionally suited to be a caregiver. Volunteering at a hospital, soup kitchen, shelter or similar place might "uplift" some people but for me it would be very depressing and upsetting. There's no one-size-fits-all recommendation for everyone. :-)

I was being facicious but my point is that there has to be something that interests LivingDeadGirl. Unless you are dying of a dreaded disease like cancer or something, life is just too precious. It just pains me to know people are hurting so that they contemplate dying. I had that feeling once too. I recognized it and got help.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM

1,926 posts, read 990,367 times
If I remember right, you are a youngster, golfingduo. I think that I feel what LDG is saying. I think of myself as a butterfly trapped in an old, dried out, soon to be useless cocoon.

Looking forward to flying away, but the waiting is doable.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM

4,121 posts, read 2,580,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
I'm not a misogynist but I'm just not emotionally suited to be a caregiver.
Did you mean to say that you are not a misanthrope?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:47 PM

4,121 posts, read 2,580,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Unless you are dying of a dreaded disease like cancer or something, life is just too precious. It just pains me to know people are hurting so that they contemplate dying. I had that feeling once too. I recognized it and got help.
Says you.

There seems to be this attitude in society that if you don't like living you are defective and need to be shot up with Prozac or something. I think we all have the right of self-determination and if someone is sick of living that is that person's prerogative. It certainly is not the dominate attitude, but then neither is being gay. Both are not the norm in society but one is accepted and the other is not. At one time people used to try to "cure" being gay, too.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Says you.

There seems to be this attitude in society that if you don't like living you are defective and need to be shot up with Prozac or something. I think we all have the right of self-determination and if someone is sick of living that is that person's prerogative. It certainly is not the dominate attitude, but then neither is being gay. Both are not the norm in society but one is accepted and the other is not. At one time people used to try to "cure" being gay, too.

Honestly now. I am not saying go get shock treatment. I am just saying that feeling so depressed that one is seriously contemplating ending it all is not healthy. I am suggesting changing that by doing something. If it offends you that I feel that way so be it. It is how I am. I will not take back words that I mean. Doing anything might change an outlook.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Did you mean to say that you are not a misanthrope?
Indeed I did, and what an embarassing error (considering my gender)! LOL

Old 06-20-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I think we all have the right of self-determination and if someone is sick of living that is that person's prerogative. It certainly is not the dominate attitude, but then neither is being gay. Both are not the norm in society but one is accepted and the other is not. At one time people used to try to "cure" being gay, too.
I have a close friend who, in her late 40s and after her husband of twenty years died, has chosen to live the rest of her life celibate. It isn't out of grief for her late husband (in fact their marriage was perhaps a bit rockier than most, although according to her not exactly a nightmare either) or a result of being "soured on men". She just finally realized that after looking back on her entire life relationship-wise and then finally being completely on her own, that she is MUCH happier living a life free of any kind of romantic relationship. I've known her for a long time and I have to say that I have never seen her as happy, healthy and content as she has been since she made that decision (now almost 20 years ago).

She has been asked out on dates but has always been honest and upfront with them about the fact that while friendship and companionship is fine, there's no chance of it ever going any further. You wouldn't believe how many of them have responded by telling her that her attitude is "unnatural" or "unhealthy" or "not normal" or that she should "seek professional help".... simply because celibacy-by-choice (rather than by circumstances) is not the norm in society.

She's also been told by well-meaning people that she should "find herself a man" because otherwise "who will take care of you when you get old?"

We both laugh about that, considering that most of our friends have outlived their husbands and/or partners!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
If I remember right, you are a youngster, golfingduo. I think that I feel what LDG is saying. I think of myself as a butterfly trapped in an old, dried out, soon to be useless cocoon.

Looking forward to flying away, but the waiting is doable.
Wow, I would never look forward to flying away. Even if I were crumpled up and unable to walk or talk, I'd feel the sublimeness of life. I'd use whatever senses I had left to feel the miracle of being alive. Watching things, smelling things, hearing things, touching things and being touched. No, I don't want to leave, no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or