U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 03:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

I've posted this before. It's from the Young at Heart Chorus (local to where I live), which has traveled all over the world, some on oxygen, others with wheelchairs and walkers and cancer and heart disease (they travel with an M.D.).

Young@Heart - Stayin' Alive - YouTube

That's the late Fred Knittle, on oxygen, who also appears in his classic song sung to huge crowds.

Young@Heart - Stayin' Alive - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:17 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Now that I think about it, age 76 seems fine to me if I can make it that long. That's eight years hence and given the neurological deficits and limitations I already possess, why wait? Now if my wife is still going strong then I'd prefer to hang-on. Other than that, why bother? Yes, I have children and grandchildren but most of them are far away and really couldn't care less. Their maternal grandmother did a great and sustained job of distancing them from me and there's little I can do about it now. My wife and I do what we can but it's never enough. Oh well!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:45 AM

4,121 posts, read 2,584,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow, I would never look forward to flying away. Even if I were crumpled up and unable to walk or talk, I'd feel the sublimeness of life. I'd use whatever senses I had left to feel the miracle of being alive. Watching things, smelling things, hearing things, touching things and being touched. No, I don't want to leave, no matter what.
It is not like those great experiences you have had are something you take with you so the more you have, the more you can take with you when you die. They disappear when your brain stops functioning. We all enjoy new experiences but because they are as transitory as our lives, it does make me wonder sometimes - what is the point?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:21 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It is not like those great experiences you have had are something you take with you so the more you have, the more you can take with you when you die. They disappear when your brain stops functioning. We all enjoy new experiences but because they are as transitory as our lives, it does make me wonder sometimes - what is the point?
Perhaps because the choice of death is so utterly FINAL. I can't think of too many choices (relative to ourselves) that have absolutely NO chance whatsoever of mitigation.

I don't believe in an afterlife, but that doesn't mean that I regard human life as a waste of time; on the contrary, I consider it even more precious for that very reason. Sure, life is transitory but EVERYTHING in the universe is transitory. For example, it's been estimated that earth will be destroyed by our slowly expanding sun in about 8 billion years or so. Does that mean that there's no point to our planet's existence, or that it's existence is pointless merely because it isn't going to last forever? or even for a certain span of time?

Sorry, didn't mean to get all philosophical, LOL

Old 06-21-2014, 12:25 PM

I am not suggesting that because our existence and experiences are transitory that the response of that is to choose death, I am only trying to put into proper perspective what it means to be a cognitive, sentient creature. Basically all that we have is in our heads and that's about it.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What is the point of a flower?

Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
All things considered, my best guess is that I'll die fairly shortly after I draw my last breath. But perhaps I could be wrong. Until then I guess I'll just live and make the most of it.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Probably the same point as the small pox virus, or a rattle snake, neither of which we think much of so we stomp out of existence. It is not up to us to decide what the "point" is for anything; it leads to bad behavior on our part.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:10 PM

1,926 posts, read 991,367 times
Quote:
propagation

rebirth

(I am not a christian.)

Old 06-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Probably the same point as the small pox virus, or a rattle snake, neither of which we think much of so we stomp out of existence. It is not up to us to decide what the "point" is for anything; it leads to bad behavior on our part.
You asked, in post #56, "what is the point?"

My response: there is no point. Things are what they are for as long as they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or