Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:06 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times

Advertisements

There is no one place for me that is ideal. So I am going to choose one for climate 8 months of the year. The other for climate 4 months of the year. Large metro areas are so diverse that the politics of people don't matter. That's what I will choose 8 months of the year - Phoenix. And in Phoenix there are people of all sorts of political persuasions. I happen to be libertarian and capitalist. And my 4 months will be VRBO where it's cool. That way I can go to a different location every year if I want. Let's see: Mendocino, Big Sur, Tahoe, Flagstaff, southern Oregon coast, and the like are on my list. Easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 PM

20 posts, read 29,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
And I also agree with the posters who mention that some of your criteria cancel each other out.
Thank you for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, which items on my list are mutually exclusive? I haven't been in the lower 48 since 1987, so I'm probably pretty naive about a lot of things, but I find it hard to believe - or maybe just frightening to believe - that there's not some place other than Interior Alaska that fits most of my list (the cost of living and 6 to 9 snow free months are all that eliminate where I currently live).

Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
MN meets alot - but not everything.
Thank you. Could you elaborate on which items MN doesn't meet? I suspect one is the weather, but if there are others, that would be helpful to consider.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Anywhere in the central valley or foothills of CA will definitely not meet your "average summer highs in the 80's" requirement, as the summer temps in the foothills and valley generally exceed 90 about 75% of the days from June to September (lived there all my life until last year). Also we LEFT CA because of the taxes and high COL, so I wouldn't think that would work for you. It has BOTH fairly high property tax and high income taxes, as well as fairly high sales tax (minimum of 7.5%, up to around 9.25% depending on city/county taxes). In addition the price of property is much higher than most other rural parts of the country, and building permit costs are ridiculous in many counties. Add that to the exorbitant cost for electricity charged by PG&E, which serves much of the state, and you start to get the reasons we left.
Thank you. That's helpful information.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just happened to be looking at the real estate ads from yesterday's Redding, CA newspaper and saw a listing for a manufactured home on 5.75 acres here in Redding, just 5 minutes from all the major shopping for only $180,000. When I say major shopping, I mean Costco, Walmart, Target, Winco, a mall with the normal stores like Sears, etc. And several hospitals, vets, on and on:

Redding Real Estate - Redding, CA Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Of course you can expand the search to see if you can get what you want - maybe you don't want a manufactured home. Another one popped up when I put in $200,000 max - 10 acres with a Redding address.

Lots of recreation right outside of town. BUT, it's damn hot in the summer.

I did take a gander at Medford, OR for you. Heard it's not bad. But, on Wikepedia it said they get horrendous fog. But, Ashland, which is only around 20 miles away, doesn't have that problem.

For grins, I thought I'd see if anything popped up for around $200,000 in Ashland, OR. I don't know about medical facilities or shopping for Ashland. I've only stopped and stayed in Ashland once, and LOVED it, though. I wanted to stay in CA, as I get better benefits here - CA supplements Social Security, and has better medical benefits for me (I'm on SSI).

If you search within Ashland for 5+ acres for the same price, you get nothing. If you expand the search to 5 miles you get these:

Ashland Real Estate - Ashland, OR Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

So, it's not as expensive right outside Ashland as I thought it would be. The stats say they get something like 100 days of precipitation, but not that much accumulated rainfall. So, lots of cloudy misty days, but much cooler than Redding.

FWIW.
Thank you!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
[quote=ABQ2015;35164320]I like this Best Place to Live quiz. It allows you to assign a weight to the importance of the input, e.g., you can enter your three favorite climates from a listing and rank them 1-3. I think it gives you a listing of potential places - it has been a while since I took the quiz.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

This was a fun little quiz. It actually listed Redding as #19. Had other towns I really like including Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa. Both are blessedly cool compared to Redding :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfarmer View Post
Thank you!
You are more than welcome!

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:56 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
AK

Look up gardening zone maps. They could help you zero in on preferable climate then work the other requirements from there. Had you not said west of the Mississippi, I would have suggested Vermont as being very close to all your requirements.

Vermont is nice, but the property taxes there are outrageous.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfarmer View Post
I guess I can't reply to each helpful post with a thank you because it triggers red flags for the forum. However thank you for the suggestions of the Sierra Nevadas, Pueblo CO, Ashland OR, and the Black Hills. I will research all those areas more thoroughly. Maine also has a lot of appeal, but is so far from any of my wife's relatives that she won't consider it.

Thank you also for the Big Foot museum suggestion. That made me chuckle.
Ok so that is the reason you want to stay west of the Mississippi?

Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Man, cool thread, there's alot of cool places in our country to live and retire in, thanks for today's lesson.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:14 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,283 times
Check out Bowling Green, Kentucky; Conway, Arkansas or Fayetteville, Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement