U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM

20 posts, read 26,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
These parts of CA are so un-stereotypical of what people think CA is. First off, CA is 96% (land wise) rural/wilderness.

Where I live the median home price is about $175K. At my house we get snow four months of the year. Fits most of what you are looking for.

While most of the folk here are republican and religious, there are plenty of liberals and non-religious people. People here get along quite well. Even the local chapter of the Sierra Club understands economics and supports responsible logging. No one is going to attack you for being an agnostic as long as you have a live and let live attitude.

But I will leave you with a thought: quit looking for the perfect place. Instead, seek a place that is right for you.
Thank you. I will look more into that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 05:39 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
What I don't understand is why you can't afford to stay in Alaska? You've been there 30 years, do you not have property that's paid for?

There's no place I know of that meets all of your criteria. Mainly, any of the places that meet your weather requirements will be near the coast or in the mountains. But, most of these places will have taxes, that I know of.

And you also threw in affordable. That probably leaves Ashland out. Oregon has no sales tax, but high property tax.

And any where near a great museum will not be cheap.

You will find conservatives everywhere. My county, Shasta, votes mainly Republican, but I know plenty democrats.

For woods that don't have a lot of rain, you're looking at California. Lots of areas here that I consider affordable, but there are taxes here.

The good thing about property taxes in CA is that your property value will never be re-assessed as long as you own it. If you buy it for $200,000, it will always be taxed at the $200,000 rate as long as you own it, even if it ends up valued at $1,000,000.

Shasta County, at the higher elevations will have what you're looking for. Humboldt County would work. Santa Cruz County. But they will be more expensive from Shasta to Humboldt to Santa Cruz.

Most liberal in Humboldt and Santa Cruz. Probably least resistance to skinny dipping in Humboldt.

Good luck finding something you'll be happy with. But are you really sure you don't want to just stay where you are? Especially if you have property that's paid for?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
The places I can think ofwill cost you a several million just for the land and are not low COL. Not any oil subsidty either to off set any cost.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM

I guess I can't reply to each helpful post with a thank you because it triggers red flags for the forum. However thank you for the suggestions of the Sierra Nevadas, Pueblo CO, Ashland OR, and the Black Hills. I will research all those areas more thoroughly. Maine also has a lot of appeal, but is so far from any of my wife's relatives that she won't consider it.

Thank you also for the Big Foot museum suggestion. That made me chuckle.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What I don't understand is why you can't afford to stay in Alaska? You've been there 30 years, do you not have property that's paid for?

There's no place I know of that meets all of your criteria. Mainly, any of the places that meet your weather requirements will be near the coast or in the mountains. But, most of these places will have taxes, that I know of.

And you also threw in affordable. That probably leaves Ashland out. Oregon has no sales tax, but high property tax.

And any where near a great museum will not be cheap.

You will find conservatives everywhere. My county, Shasta, votes mainly Republican, but I know plenty democrats.

For woods that don't have a lot of rain, you're looking at California. Lots of areas here that I consider affordable, but there are taxes here.

The good thing about property taxes in CA is that your property value will never be re-assessed as long as you own it. If you buy it for $200,000, it will always be taxed at the $200,000 rate as long as you own it, even if it ends up valued at $1,000,000.

Shasta County, at the higher elevations will have what you're looking for. Humboldt County would work. Santa Cruz County. But they will be more expensive from Shasta to Humboldt to Santa Cruz.

Most liberal in Humboldt and Santa Cruz. Probably least resistance to skinny dipping in Humboldt.

Good luck finding something you'll be happy with. But are you really sure you don't want to just stay where you are? Especially if you have property that's paid for?
That is a reasonable question. I do have property that is paid for, but it's an hour out of town and I'm getting too old to run/maintain the place adequately, so we would probably have to move into town if we stayed here. If we sell our property here for $400K, we could spend $300K of that on a place in town here, or $150K to $200K of it in some other locations. My retirement income will be about 1/3 of my working income. Utilities, gas, groceries, are all very high here putting the average cost of living on par with Washington DC, plus a 4wd vehicle is a must and they wear out fast. The big killer, though, is medical care. For a procedure a friend had done recently, there's a $9000 difference between the cost in Alaska and the cost in Oklahoma City, and some dental work I had done for $3800 here costs $1400 in Seattle.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:12 PM

4,575 posts, read 9,658,413 times
LaPine, OR. Just South of Bend.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:40 PM

649 posts, read 554,853 times
I was going to suggest either Grants Pass, Or and Boulder, CO, the Black Hills area of SD would also fit most of what your looking for.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akfarmer View Post
That is a reasonable question. I do have property that is paid for, but it's an hour out of town and I'm getting too old to run/maintain the place adequately, so we would probably have to move into town if we stayed here. If we sell our property here for $400K, we could spend $300K of that on a place in town here, or $150K to $200K of it in some other locations. My retirement income will be about 1/3 of my working income. Utilities, gas, groceries, are all very high here putting the average cost of living on par with Washington DC, plus a 4wd vehicle is a must and they wear out fast. The big killer, though, is medical care. For a procedure a friend had done recently, there's a $9000 difference between the cost in Alaska and the cost in Oklahoma City, and some dental work I had done for $3800 here costs $1400 in Seattle.
Oh, that makes complete sense.

Well, for the record, Redding has lots of good healthcare options. I find groceries here to be amazingly affordable overall. Plus, you can get decent wine at Trader Joe's for only $2.49 per bottle . They used to call it Two Buck Chuck (the wine is Charles...something), but they raised the price from $1.99 to $2.49. Gas is running about $4/gallon, not sure how that compares to AK. Sales tax here is 7.5%. Utilities aren't bad because we have a city PUD.

But, it's really frickin hot here in the summer. Because we're still in the central valley of CA, the heat just sits in the valley and bakes us.

To get up where it's cooler, then you're farther away from the good shopping, healthcare, etc.

But, the winters are really mild here. My electric bill is minimal in winter, but I like my A/C, so my bill will be higher in the summer.

If you can get closer to the coast, in CA, you rarely need heat or A/C.

Ashland has a lot of charm, and lots of artsy stuff going on. Weather will include more rain and snow, and it will be more expensive.

I just don't know where you will find what you're looking for. I hope you let us know.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 PM

858 posts, read 590,755 times
Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky

Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,606,905 times
Gold country California is actually a good area to research as Sierra Nevada Mr5150 points out. It is more conservative than the much of the state but come on, it's still California. And while the economy's are not necessarily booming- as a retirement place that doesn't matter to you and keeps the property values somewhat moderate. I grew up in the Southern Queen, Sonora, still a pretty charming town even if they kind of ruined it for a few miles with East Sonora. It does have a well regarded community College (actually Columbia Jr. College, which my father was the first Dean of) up there to take classes.
http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/978050051...1_s260x420.JPG

My brother who I would describe as a similar kind of demographic to you, (though, honestly you sound more interesting haha) just retired to Murphy's just up the road from Sonora which is an artsy, winery, gold rush town and loves it up there. Another brother lives in Jamestown just outside of Sonora (too small) There is a whole string of towns from Mariposa to Placerville that each offer a unique "California Country" perspective with a bit of that rugged, independent, mining spirit yet remaining by the folks who founded them.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-08-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement