U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 AM

17,427 posts, read 21,267,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
In retirement there is no way I'd want to keep up with lawns, shoveling, etc and I would want a place that isn't sitting all alone when I'm gone for months at a time. I'll take the condo.
I live in a townhouse complex, and it borders a SFH area. Being a nightshifter, I take long walks, at night, usually between 2am-4am, and there's times the idea of a SFH looks appealing, until............I hear the roosters starting to crow at 4am!

The other night, right after 4am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 08:15 AM

8,993 posts, read 7,766,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
I'm not an attorney, but I have served as a Condo association President and am familiar with, in my state, the laws and generally with Declarations of Condominium Ownership and Bylaws. The 'devil' is always in the details. The property in question (in the linked article) appears to have been unsuccessfully converted from rental to condominium status which also appears to give the developers (including the new developers) the right to convert the units back into rental apartments. That process/right would have been spelled-out in the organizational documents and a purchaser would have received the documents to review prior to closing on the sale. Unfortunately, from what I've personally witnessed, buyers rarely read the organizational documents, but if they do they assume the risks of something like this happening are slim ... so they gloss-over them. Whether this condo association acted properly in amending its organizational documents is a matter that's apparently been taken to court and in due course a ruling will be made. As for buying a condo: I've owned a single family home and two condominiums. I currently live in a condo. Both forms of ownership have their advantages/disadvantages. A decision to buy any property should never be made on the basis of a newspaper article which merely summarizes allegations and presents incomplete information.
You are correct in that the information was there but they chose to not read and/or ignore it.

This is quite common, meaning not understanding the documents you agreed to.

I have lived in 6 HOA's, including my present home. I know of what I speak.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
It's easy to confuse things. Because they vary from place to place - and state to state (in terms of state laws). Impossible to generalize. And everyone should check into what he/she is thinking of buying. Robyn
Wise advice.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:09 AM

4,556 posts, read 5,477,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
An HOA can absolutely foreclose on an owner, whether it be a condo, townhome, or single-family residence. At least, in TX it can. There has to be a LONG paper trail, however...and it's very difficult, but it can be done.

They can also do it legally quicker than a bank or other lender!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM

382 posts, read 353,533 times
Agree with MarcoPolo. I really like my townhouse (condo ownership) two story HOA type home. Downstairs bedroom, other people doing the yards and painting, picnic area across the street, two car garage, etc. What's not to like.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
They can also do it legally quicker than a bank or other lender!
In most states they can only foreclose due to unpaid HOA dues. Why would one not pay the dues/obligations that they agreed to and if not, should they not be foreclosed on? Is it not like being evicted for not paying the rent?

Old 06-19-2014, 10:19 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,510,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
<LOL> I smoke. I cook with garlic. Sometimes I want to play a movie late at night with that big surround sound speaker system we have. Sometimes my neighbors want to do similar - but not at convenient hours for us. A detached SFH gives you space to do whatever you want to do without annoying other people near you (and vice versa). Robyn
Now you're talkin'. We cook in a number of "languages," love garlic, I toast and crush the herbs and spices to make my own vindaloo, love kimchee, grill and smoke up to five nights a week, burn leaves and windfall (as do our neighbors). I don't smoke but my wife does. I cannot conceive of living in anything but a SFH and my wife, who had never owned one before, wanted her own land on which she could garden and landscape. Hearing of the restrictions some put up with and being all too familiar with the issues of neighbors above, below or sharing walls convinces me that we made the right choice for us.

But all that aside, this thread has become an awfully long one when the issue is quite simple. We all have very individual needs, wants, desires, abilities and lifestyles. No one size fits all.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,947,745 times
There's a time and a season for everything. When my husband and I were both working - it was "condo land" for us (we didn't spend much time at home - or have the energy to take care of a SFH either). When we retired - we wanted to give homeownership a try. And we like it. Perhaps one day we won't be able to handle it - but I hope that day doesn't come soon. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or