U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54 PM
 
Location: SW US
2,218 posts, read 2,035,221 times
Reputation: 3824

Advertisements

The ER did give her treatment for the bladder infection, right? You may be surprised once the meds kick in and the infection goes away. Bladder infections can cause a lot of symptoms that aren't found in younger people. So I wouldn't make any big decisions until you see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,618 posts, read 9,680,515 times
Reputation: 10960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
The ER did give her treatment for the bladder infection, right? You may be surprised once the meds kick in and the infection goes away. Bladder infections can cause a lot of symptoms that aren't found in younger people. So I wouldn't make any big decisions until you see how that goes.
Yes, they did. And a prescription which I had filled the next day. I will say one thing for my mom, she's really good about taking her meds. I am hoping that this will do the trick. No, no "big decisions". Just waiting to see what's what. It's just been a crazy few days. Today has been very good.

My nephew's daughter is starting tomorrow to stay with Mom most of the hours I'll be gone. This will let me do my job without constantly wondering what's going on with Mom and she is looking forward to it. This will only be for two weeks right now and by then we'll know how the meds have worked and if things are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
5,170 posts, read 8,693,102 times
Reputation: 6167
Smile Good plan

You are handling this well.

Your poor mom lying on the bathroom floor. It hurts to think about it.

We have 2 ladies that come in and cook and clean for my FIL. It's 5 days a week until around 5 or 5:30 PM but we have such peace of mind knowing he's OK for those hours. He's 91.

The falls and the fact that they are increasing would concern me greatly.

Please keep us updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 PM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,170,335 times
Reputation: 8464
I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of solution for people who tend to fall. Some kind of gadget to rescue them when they're about to fall. Maybe they could push around a walker on wheels, so if they fall, they fall into it, and grab it, and it keeps them from falling. Or any other solutions. It seems to be a problem for a lot of old people. If they don't want a walker because they can walk fine, maybe redesign it to make it for preventing falling but not for walking. Very light such that they can easily get in the habit of always having with them, to rescue them whenever they're about to fall. Someone needs to invent the perfect solution for that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,872 posts, read 13,550,446 times
Reputation: 29032
UTIs are, as others have noted, VERY common in the elderly. The shocking thing is the effect they have on people that one would rarely guess is the result of an infection:

Mental confusion, sometimes even delirium
Lack of ability to track time
Forgetfulness
Difficulty carrying on a conversation
Fatigue
Sleepiness

The symptoms are often similar to stroke symptoms and are often present even if there is no fever. Most healthcare professionals these days check for UTIs even before a stroke when these symptoms are present, especially in women.

My mother's move into my house was instigated by her near death that was a result of a bladder infection. She even KNEW she had cystitis, but didn't tell anyone, assuming that it "would go away on its own." Her doctor's response to that statement? "That is exactly the kind of poor decision made by someone who is not in their right mind due to a UTI." So my mother now has to be watched constantly and carefully for these symptoms she still ignores.

One thing I have found that helps her to circumvent these occurrences: cranberry juice. It's not an old wives tale. As WebMD explains it, "Researchers now believe that cranberries contain substances that prevent infection-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls."

My mother puts about an eighth of a cup of dried cranberries in the cereal she eats every morning for breakfast and washes down her evening pills with a small juice glass of Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Her infections have been cut down from one every other month to less than once a year! She still complains about the taste but cannot deny it's made a big difference in something that's been a chronic problem for her for more than 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2014, 11:50 PM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Reputation: 20067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
One thing I have found that helps her to circumvent these occurrences: cranberry juice. It's not an old wives tale. As WebMD explains it, "Researchers now believe that cranberries contain substances that prevent infection-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls."

My mother puts about an eighth of a cup of dried cranberries in the cereal she eats every morning for breakfast and washes down her evening pills with a small juice glass of Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Her infections have been cut down from one every other month to less than once a year! She still complains about the taste but cannot deny it's made a big difference in something that's been a chronic problem for her for more than 20 years.

After a couple of nights in emergency rooms in remote locations, I can tell you that cranberry juice is very effective in preventing those UTIs. However, once you have an infection, antibiotics are probably required.

I now know what I forgot to pick up today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 05:13 AM
 
45 posts, read 45,259 times
Reputation: 153
I didn't read every page but just wanted to share this.... My sister is in her 60's and kept falling and was also confused and such but I can't address that part. Anyways it took quite awhile for the Drs. To figure out she had a bladder infection. That Did explain her falling, which we had never heard of. Hopefully this part will clear up for, wouldn't that be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
16,354 posts, read 10,337,852 times
Reputation: 28495
Hopefully that will clear up both problems, Rose T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Orlando
1,986 posts, read 2,635,623 times
Reputation: 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I'm wondering if there isn't some kind of solution for people who tend to fall. Some kind of gadget to rescue them when they're about to fall. Maybe they could push around a walker on wheels, so if they fall, they fall into it, and grab it, and it keeps them from falling. Or any other solutions. It seems to be a problem for a lot of old people. If they don't want a walker because they can walk fine, maybe redesign it to make it for preventing falling but not for walking. Very light such that they can easily get in the habit of always having with them, to rescue them whenever they're about to fall. Someone needs to invent the perfect solution for that problem.
While this presents a good idea, it's worth noting that people with Parkinson's Disease tend to fall backwards, rather than forwards. I learned this in the years of caring for my husband, who had PD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,783 posts, read 4,833,476 times
Reputation: 19428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My mother puts about an eighth of a cup of dried cranberries in the cereal she eats every morning for breakfast and washes down her evening pills with a small juice glass of Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Her infections have been cut down from one every other month to less than once a year! She still complains about the taste but cannot deny it's made a big difference in something that's been a chronic problem for her for more than 20 years.
You can mix cranberry juice with a little 7-up to improve the taste. Another helpful tip I got from my DR. for chronic UTI's is to take a chewable high potency vitamin C tablet (1200mg I think) morning and night. Basically you are taking too much Vitamin C on purpose (harmless) so that it just spills through the urinary tract and has the effect of acidifying the urine which is a hostile environment for the bacteria to grow in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top