U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,692,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Check and make sure that it's cranberry juice - and not grapefruit juice (the latter is often not recommended when taking certain drugs). Robyn
I went online and checked out that particular med. What it is is avoiding Vitamin K. I printed out all the info and showed it to Mom. She buys those big bottles of green tea with ginko and that's one thing she's not supposed to have so it's now in my fridge. She can have 'limited' amounts of some things, including cranberry juice. Very limited. There's still tons of fresh fruits and veggies she can have and I'll make sure she gets them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,397,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know. She just takes her role as "Mom" very seriously. He won't be here till Thurs. since he's having some route problems on his job.

His gf called me yesterday to tell me that and THEN proceeded to tell ME how to 'take care of' my own mom. Since my brother wouldn't be here. (When he IS here he's in his room on his computer, watching TV, and whatever else. He rarely comes out of his room. He does NOTHING for her except 'be there') Mom says he's "sleeping" because that's what she thinks he's doing. Well, anyway....it made me mad because 1) she NEVER comes to see Mom 2) NEVER picks up the phone to just say "Hi, how are you?" and 3) she told me I would "have to" spend more time with Mom. Good lord! I'm there most of the time and the only reason she caught me at my own house was because I was here getting a pork loin roast out of the oven and picking up a few other things for her. Then she proceeds to tell me that it doesn't matter what the doc says, my mom DID have a stroke. Yeah, we have dumb docs here. THEN, she's the one who started the process for a Life Alert...online...and tells me that *I* have to take care of it. Well, yes, I knew that because they got the info and then dropped it. I guess I'm still mad this morning but I'll get over it. This gal is bossy, pushy and a know it all. And won't even let you finish a sentence without butting in with HER opinion or telling you what to do.

I have to go run errands today so will probably be accused of 'neglect'. I don't see HER getting HER butt over here to do anything. I told Mom about that phone call and was still mad when I told her. She said, "You take excellent care of me so don't worry about it".

Oh yeah, she also jumped all over me because my other brother and I are splitting the cost of having his grand daughter stay with Mom while I'm working. She was 'shocked' that we would PAY her for watching over her great grandma. THEY haven't offered to help. The kid JUST graduated from high school, is dead broke because her job was scuttled...but it's coming back...and I would have to pay somebody so why not her? At least she CARES about my mom.

Don't put up with this crap from her. Nip it in the bud now and let her know in no uncertain terms that her opinions are neither wanted or needed.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I wonder if cranberry caplets would be an acceptible sub for juice if one couldn't tolerate the juice.

I like to cut my juice with diet ginger ale, maybe there's an alternative.......it is delightful BTW.
Doctors appointment next week. I already have a long list of questions, and that's one of them. She's doing so much better with her mobility and no problems with her left side. I guess the meds have done their job but we'll know for sure next week. I STILL fear for her though.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:24 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,942,381 times
Quote:
Mom's walker is pretty light. Has two wheels and two tennis balls on it. She's been sitting so much she hasn't been using it but that is going to bring on more problems so I have to get working on that.

We have grab bars all over now. The people who owned the house before put them in.

My family members suck. They don't even CALL to see how she's doing or to just talk to her. I have nieces and nephews, cousins and their kids all over town and they don't call or come see her. I bet they'll all show up for the funeral though. BIG sigh...
I could go on about my family - but it's your thread.

FWIW - if you're going to do all the stuff you're doing - you have to draw lines somewhere. Like the deliveries of half-rotten food. That brought back memories of the movie "Mother" - and Debbie Reynolds' freezer obsession - like this clip:

Mother (5/10) Movie CLIP - Sweet Tooth (1996) HD - YouTube

You put down your foot when it came to making your brother's bed - and you're going to have to put down your foot more. If you're the cook - you should be able to say what goes/doesn't go in the kitchen. Robyn

Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
You can freeze bread - but it's dry as the desert when you defrost it. Better to buy small quantities (like half loaves) and toss them if/when they go bad.

And AZDesertBrat - if I were in your shoes - I'd go to Costco - Walmart - my favorite big box store - and buy some huge packages of disposable plates/cups/flatware/etc. You're trying to do so much - including a lot of cooking. Make your life a little easier in an area you can (doing dishes). At least for a while. Can't say I do it often. But - when I'm in the middle of big physically demanding projects - it's disposable dishes for me. Robyn
Mom now has five loaves of bread in the freezer, plus one and French bread in the house. She doesn't eat even half a loaf a week but I guess I know where to get some if I need it. I asked her yesterday why she never eats eggs/toast for breakfast. Too much. Sandwiches are 'too much work'. Also the fact that she only eats two meals a day. Late breakfast, around 11 AM and dinner around 4 PM. She does 'snack' a little between meals, especially if I've taken over a coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, etc.. And she likes Chex Mixes. I make sure she has LOTS of ice water all the time and only one cup of coffee per day...her choice. Some juices but she forgets they are there. I found a whole new bottle of tomato juice yesterday, way in the back of the fridge, and asked her about it. She doesn't LIKE tomato juice but took it because it came with her pantry box. I have that now too and I DO like it. She does like V-8 so will get her some small cans of that.

Costco is over an hour away but I work at Walmart so am there every day. I, personally, use a lot of paper plates, unless it's something really wet/gooey. But even doing that there's still stuff to be washed and at least my mom has a dishwasher, which I don't. I almost took all mine to her house yesterday. lol

I know I'm tired and feel like I'm not getting any real days off but I'm okay. My mom won't be here forever and whatever I can do for her to make life easier, I'll do my best.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
All the grocery stores where I live will assist an elderly/handicapped person to shop. Take things off the shelves and put them in the shopper's cart. Ask if your local places will do that. Robyn
They will here too. Walmart does too and I have helped the elderly do just that at work. Now it'll just be helping my mom. If I didn't take her she can't go because she's no longer going to be driving and we don't have decent senior/public transportation here. That 'small town' thing.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Don't put up with this crap from her. Nip it in the bud now and let her know in no uncertain terms that her opinions are neither wanted or needed.
I didn't say anything to her yesterday mostly because it's such a rare thing for her to call in the first place and I doubt she'll be calling again. AND she didn't give me a chance if I'd wanted to! IF she does though, yes, I'll be pulling her plug! I expect it'll make my brother mad at me but unless he wants to fully take over he'd best not get too much in my face. My MOM doesn't need any of that either.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,942,381 times
Quote:
Doctors appointment next week. I already have a long list of questions, and that's one of them. She's doing so much better with her mobility and no problems with her left side. I guess the meds have done their job but we'll know for sure next week. I STILL fear for her though.
If the doctor doesn't use have one already - prepare a list of all the meds *and* the various supplements (including vitamins) that your mother is taking. A lot of these OTC things can have some pretty substantial side effects - especially in older people. For example - WRT ginkgo:

Ginkgo is safe for most people when used appropriately. It can cause some minor side effects such as stomach upset, headache, dizziness, constipation, forceful heartbeat, and allergic skin reactions.

There is some concern that ginkgo might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. Ginkgo thins the blood and decreases its ability to form clots. A few people taking ginkgo have had bleeding into the eye and into the brain, and excessive bleeding following surgery.

Ginkgo Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList

Robyn

Old 06-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I could go on about my family - but it's your thread.

FWIW - if you're going to do all the stuff you're doing - you have to draw lines somewhere. Like the deliveries of half-rotten food. That brought back memories of the movie "Mother" - and Debbie Reynolds' freezer obsession - like this clip:

Mother (5/10) Movie CLIP - Sweet Tooth (1996) HD - YouTube

You put down your foot when it came to making your brother's bed - and you're going to have to put down your foot more. If you're the cook - you should be able to say what goes/doesn't go in the kitchen. Robyn
Far as I can tell this is really a first with the 'gone south' food. I AM going to stop by the church today while am out running errands and just tell them to come up with some reason to tell MOM that they are discontinuing this for a few weeks. Used to be they gave her really good stuff but I'm starting to feel like she's last in line and using her to toss it. Bad of me, I know, but... Not long ago they gave her 30# of chicken legs/thighs. Why?? We gave some to the neighbors and some to my grandson's family next door but really??? Maybe they know she'll give it to others, I don't know.

Mom is being very cooperative with me about everything I'm doing and she's the only one who's opinion matters to me. The rest just pi$$ me off.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
If the doctor doesn't use have one already - prepare a list of all the meds *and* the various supplements (including vitamins) that your mother is taking. A lot of these OTC things can have some pretty substantial side effects - especially in older people. For example - WRT ginkgo:

Ginkgo is safe for most people when used appropriately. It can cause some minor side effects such as stomach upset, headache, dizziness, constipation, forceful heartbeat, and allergic skin reactions.

There is some concern that ginkgo might increase the risk of bruising and bleeding. Ginkgo thins the blood and decreases its ability to form clots. A few people taking ginkgo have had bleeding into the eye and into the brain, and excessive bleeding following surgery.

Ginkgo Effectiveness, Safety, and Drug Interactions on RxList

Robyn
I'm sure the doc has a complete list of her meds and the only supplement she takes is Centrum Silver.

Mom has had arrhythmia her entire life so he knows about that too and takes a med for it.

Needless to say I've been burning up the 'net checking into all these meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or