Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Unfortunately Mom can't 'do' cranberries or cranberry juice. Something about one of her meds that won't mix with it. Not exactly sure what that is but it's what she told me a long time ago when she first went on it. I never had ANY idea that a UTI could affect someone that way but I guess I know now and will be more vigilant!
Blueberries and pineapples are also great remedies/preventions for UTIs. By the way....your mother is so blessed to have you taking care of her. I love reading and hearing about children that help their parents deal with the complexities of aging. You definitely are one of the good ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM

361 posts, read 737,111 times
Speaking of UTIs, I will put in a word for d-Mannose, OTC supplement thing that does work so well.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Blueberries and pineapples are also great remedies/preventions for UTIs. By the way....your mother is so blessed to have you taking care of her. I love reading and hearing about children that help their parents deal with the complexities of aging. You definitely are one of the good ones!
She's not crazy about blueberries. She gives me all she gets. Pineapple is good and I bet fresh is best.

Awww, thanks. But I don't deserve any special kudos for taking care of my mom. In a big way I almost feel like I owe her. She took me into her life and heart when I was four years old and has always been my mom. I knew my birth mom too. I loved her too and we were close but I only got to know her for 7 years when she died. I know...especially from reading the forums here in C-D, that there are parents out there who never should have been. Kids who were mistreated, abused and all that rot. So I can understand why they wouldn't want to take care of someone so hateful to them. I have been most fortunate to have had the parents I have/had.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Speaking of UTIs, I will put in a word for d-Mannose, OTC supplement thing that does work so well.
Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 AM

Good morning. Just a quick update on Mom and what's going on here. I'm starting to 'calm down' a little.

It's been a week now since Mom's first fall. I think the meds are working and she's doing better. Hasn't experienced any of the left side giving out and is getting around okay. Very slowly, to be sure, but she's being careful. Maybe TOO careful. She's now sitting way too much and I know this is going to make her legs/knees weaker. I've had my nephews daughter coming in for the past four days but her job is starting up again so yesterday was the last day. It has given me some peace of mind so I can work without worrying so much. Today will be her first day all alone till 3 PM this afternoon. I will call her on my breaks and lunch to check on her.

After a week of VERY close observation I can see that she has a GREAT appetite, takes her meds religiously, doesn't very often get things mixed up or wrong. When she does it's kind of funny. One of my brothers is staying there now but he's never around, or sleeping, but at least he's THERE. He drives overnight, gets home around 3-4 PM and sleeps till time to go do it again. Basically he's not there to DO anything for her but he's there... I wish he was there when I'm not but that's how it goes.

I'm off tomorrow and have a lot to get done. Number one is to get in touch with those people about that Life Alert. I have all the info but the person who started it has fallen down on the job and I haven't had a chance. I think I need to talk to someone about getting her some physical therapy as well. She's kind of scared to go walking around outside but she NEEDS to get out in the yard and some fresh air. I wish I could have made her doctors appointment for sooner...and I may try. Anyway, things are going pretty well at this point and I hope they just get better. She's a fighter. And she is thoroughly enjoying the pampering and 'being taken care of'. However, that doesn't mean she's going to want to become dependant. lol

Okay...off to work. It's my Friday and I'm so glad. I'm really tired.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
AZDesertBrat, that was my first compulsion; to suggest PT, she needs to use it or lose it. Is a senior center with excersize programs an option? Senior bus to get her there?

Rest up and relax.....you're no good to anyone much less yourself tired out and stressed.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
AZDesertBrat, that was my first compulsion; to suggest PT, she needs to use it or lose it. Is a senior center with excersize programs an option? Senior bus to get her there?

Rest up and relax.....you're no good to anyone much less yourself tired out and stressed.
That's something else I'll be looking into tomorrow. If possible I'll have it done here at home. If I'm not here there's nobody to take her and we don't have senior busses. Just our CAT (city) busses and she'd have to get to the bus stop.

Today was Mom's first day all alone from 7 AM till my brother got home at 2 PM. I asked her how it went and she said "Fine". Then she asked me if Melissa had left yet. Melissa wasn't here today and I told Mom that but she still thought she had been. We have moments like that but I kind of expect them any more.

There won't be much rest the next two days. Too much to do. My sink is full of dirty dishes because I've been cooking so much but no time to do them! I DO clean the counters, etc. as I go or I'd have to move. lol

Tomorrow we go through Mom's fridge and get rid of some 'stuff'. Why one person, living alone, needs that much 'stuff' is beyond me. I have a lot, I admit, but not FIVE loaves of bread on the counter. Sigh. I am going to call the church and tell them to hold off on food boxes for a couple of weeks. They bring so much junk and over load her on produce that ends up not being used. She does give some away, to me and the next door neighbor, but it's still too much.

Funny story...sorta. I had an entrée of beef tips and gravy plus mashed potatoes and home cooked green beans made. I told Melissa to give those to Grandma for dinner last night. Well, I should have been more explicit I guess because she gave Mom the WHOLE thing! lol There was a lot of it and now the bowls are empty. Mom said she ate most of it. Anyway, you'd think an 18 year old would realize that she probably couldn't eat that much and it was enough for two people. Oh my...

Okay...off to cook some more. Actually I'm making a big salad and throwing crab meat on top. Yummy.

Thank you one and all for all the wise suggestions and advice. I knew I could count on you. Now, let's see if I can make it happen!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Glad you're updating - I was offline for 1 whole day. Horrors, LOL

Freeze the bread!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Glad you're updating - I was offline for 1 whole day. Horrors, LOL

Freeze the bread!
Oh, my! How did you survive??? lol

I did freeze the bread. Three loaves anyway. I asked her why she bought that loaf of French bread with so much around already. Well, she likes to have that particular bread with butter and didn't have any! I guess that's as good a reason as any. Bad thing is, after the first couple of slices, she 'forgets' about it.

We had the "quit driving" talk. She has agreed that she's done with driving. She almost didn't renew it last time. She has people who can get her back and forth to church and she has me to run errands and shop and etc.. I also told her that I won't take her shopping unless she agrees to use an electric cart. I told her I don't want her falling out on the floor at the store. She agreed to that too! But only because I'll be with her and she won't have to get up and down to get stuff off the shelves. Okay. We can do that!

Last night when I was tucking her in for the night I told her I'm starting to feel like "the Mom". She just laughed and said "Yep". lol

I still have to go through her fridge today. She didn't get out of bed till 11 AM. Brother left early for work last night, 8:30, so she didn't feel obligated to stay awake till midnight to make sure he gets off to work. I told her he's a grown a$$ man and if he can't get himself up and off to work, it's HIS problem. But she has reverted to "mom" and her "boy". She wanted me to make up his bed for his first night there. Nope. He can do it himself. I'm not there to "take care of" him.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:37 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
AZDB, maybe having your brother around will give her some motivation to assume a more adult role by having a 'child' in the house. It might seem inconsequential but might do wonders for her self esteem......just sayin'........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement