U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,706,500 times

Advertisements

You do not need your ex's SS number or any contact with him to file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,118,699 times
Isn't it better if you are divorced to file a "restricted benefit" on your ex husband?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,486,098 times
Another good reason to be the owner of a spouse life insurance policy. If you get divorced there's your lump sum. Especially if married under 10 years and calling it quits.

What if a ex spouse dies before a widow collects on her ex? Do they still go by the higher amount or just use hers?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,174,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Another good reason to be the owner of a spouse life insurance policy. If you get divorced there's your lump sum. Especially if married under 10 years and calling it quits.

What if a ex spouse dies before a widow collects on her ex? Do they still go by the higher amount or just use hers?
If the EX spouse dies the remaining spouse is entitled to the Full survivor benefit the ex spouse was collecting including extra credits if any. Ifthe Ex, he or she dies before collecting then the ex spouse would still collect full survivor benefit IF THEY WAIT to collect till FRA, if not then the amount is reduced.

This assumes that the amount of the benefit of the Ex was more than the divorced spouses own amount.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times
I looked into this a little because I have an ex who is retired now.

I will be retired (early at 64) next year and thought having a little extra every month would be a good thing!

However, it seems that someone cannot get BOTH their own SS payment AND a SS payment from an ex-spouse. It's either one or the other, whichever would be higher.

Am I understanding that correctly?

I looked on the Social Security website.

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I will be retired (early at 64) next year and thought having a little extra every month would be a good thing!

However, it seems that someone cannot get BOTH their own SS payment AND a SS payment from an ex-spouse. It's either one or the other, whichever would be higher.

Thanks!
Yes you are understanding correctly you recieve the highest benefit you are entitled to. So you would get your own benefit or a portion of your ex husbands whichever was greater. Now if your ex husband died you could then get his full benefit as a surviving spouse, but again only if it were greater than the amount you were collecting.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Yes you are understanding correctly you recieve the highest benefit you are entitled to. So you would get your own benefit or a portion of your ex husbands whichever was greater. Now if your ex husband died you could then get his full benefit as a surviving spouse, but again only if it were greater than the amount you were collecting.
Thanks! That's what I thought but wasn't sure!

(darn!)

Old 06-19-2014, 11:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
I contacted Social Security about benefits on my ex-husband's record since we had been married 16 years.

I found that I would get zero after the formula they used to calculate. They told me the only way my monthly amount would increase is perhaps after his death.

I started collecting my own Social Security benefits at age 62. With the formula they used for divorced spouses I think the problem was his income was not the required amount higher than my income for me to gain from his record in comparison to my record.

Cannot say that I really understand the divorced spouse rules at this point. I contacted SS about 3 yrs ago so I cannot remember. And this thread is confusing to me!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I contacted Social Security about benefits on my ex-husband's record since we had been married 16 years.

I found that I would get zero after the formula they used to calculate. They told me the only way my monthly amount would increase is perhaps after his death.

I started collecting my own Social Security benefits at age 62. With the formula they used for divorced spouses I think the problem was his income was not the required amount higher than my income for me to gain from his record in comparison to my record.

Cannot say that I really understand the divorced spouse rules at this point. I contacted SS about 3 yrs ago so I cannot remember. And this thread is confusing to me!
Your own record is clearly higher than what you would be entitled to on his. since you started collecting early you would only be entitled to about 33 or so percent of what his benefit would be, and no doubt your own benefit is more than that. Now as they told you if he dies, then you would be entitled to full widow benefits, and that would be the full amount he receives now, MINUS any reduction for you being under Full Retirement Age 66. If you were 66 or older when he dies then you would be entitled to his full benefit but no longer receive your own.
hope that helps.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:22 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Thanks!
If you wait until you have reached your full retirement age "FRA" (66 in your case), you will have the opportunity to collect on your ex's account and let your SS benefit accrue delayed credits (equal to 8% percent each year) until age 70. IOW, at FRA, it doesn't matter which is higher, but yes, it will be one or the other.

If your ex dies, you have the option of claiming survivor benefits OR the retirement benefits on your earnings record. Choosing survivor benefits versus retirement benefits on your own record is not restricted to which is the highest. Some folks choose to collect the survivor benefit and let their own retirement benefit grow. Others choose to collect the survivor benefit at a later date. It all depends...

Edited to add: Have you remarried?

Last edited by lenora; 06-19-2014 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: remarried?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement