U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

Edited to add: Have you remarried?
No, I've been single ever since the divorce (1984?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No, I've been single ever since the divorce (1984?).
Then the information provided in my reply to your post remains correct.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,145,278 times
If my wife collects spousal benefits at 62, will that reduce her survivor benefit if I die before she reaches full retirement age?

Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If my wife collects spousal benefits at 62, will that reduce her survivor benefit if I die before she reaches full retirement age?
In general*, her survivor benefit will be reduced if she claims it before she reaches her full retirement age, regardless of her decision to take spousal benefits at 62. If she waits until she is FRA to claim the survivor benefit, there will be no penalty. (Obviously, spousal benefits cease when you die and she no longer has a spouse.)

* IIRC, sometimes it does not benefit a widow to wait the last year or two before FRA to obtain the full survivor benefit. I'll have to go back and search for that tidbit -

Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 AM

277 posts, read 298,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
If you wait until you have reached your full retirement age "FRA" (66 in your case), you will have the opportunity to collect on your ex's account and let your SS benefit accrue delayed credits (equal to 8% percent each year) until age 70. IOW, at FRA, it doesn't matter which is higher, but yes, it will be one or the other.

If your ex dies, you have the option of claiming survivor benefits OR the retirement benefits on your earnings record. Choosing survivor benefits versus retirement benefits on your own record is not restricted to which is the highest. Some folks choose to collect the survivor benefit and let their own retirement benefit grow. Others choose to collect the survivor benefit at a later date. It all depends...

Edited to add: Have you remarried?
Thanks, Lenora, very clear. I applied online today for spousal benefits. I had called the local office to set up an appointment because I wanted to be certain that collecting now would not decrease my own benefits at 70. The woman on the phone said it wouldn't. I came back to this thread and found the quoted post, which sealed the deal for me. Appt was the end of August so I took the 15 minutes to fill out the app. Wish I'd done it two years ago, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement