U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM

277 posts, read 298,324 times

Advertisements

Had you told me this would happen, I'd have thought you mad, but it looks like my current position is ending, and I will have to seek new job or retire. I want to continue to work in some capacity, so am considering different options. Question: I am divorced since '88 after 18 year marriage, never remarried, and, at 67, plan to wait to 70 to file for SS. Now, with financial pressures, I'm seeking other income streams. Can I file on ex? He is 71 and remarried. If I do, how will it affect my own payment at 70? I understand that if I do file, it would not affect his own payment, right?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastequila View Post
Had you told me this would happen, I'd have thought you mad, but it looks like my current position is ending, and I will have to seek new job or retire. I want to continue to work in some capacity, so am considering different options. Question: I am divorced since '88 after 18 year marriage, never remarried, and, at 67, plan to wait to 70 to file for SS. Now, with financial pressures, I'm seeking other income streams. Can I file on ex? He is 71 and remarried. If I do, how will it affect my own payment at 70? I understand that if I do file, it would not affect his own payment, right?

Thanks for any input.
Not only can you file for divorced spouse benefits now, you could have filed when you reached full retirement age. You will continue to receive delayed credits on your own record, regardless of your filing on the ex's record.

Your receipt of divorced spousal benefits will not reduce your ex's benefit.

It's all good!

Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 942,423 times
Lenora's answer was absolutely correct. Since you are over 66, it will also not be affected by what you earn.

Ask about the numbers.... if your spousal benefit is less than your age 70 benefits, it's important they know you are filing spousal only.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 PM

277 posts, read 298,324 times
Thanks to you both. That money might make a difference between full time/part time. Time to burn all those FF miles before they're totally worthless. I suspect my own benefit will be higher than spousal benefit. I think I probably earned more than spouse (although he had two incomes so is better off financially). I sure don't want to do anything that will lower my ultimate age 70 benefit, so when I talk to SS, I'll be sure to be clear. My goal is highest monthly cash flow, not highest lifetime income.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM

223 posts, read 274,604 times
When you talk to Social Security, be sure to ask them to prorate your benefits by going back 6 months. I have a friend who was in a similar situation, though she planned to simply file for benefits on her ex-husband's account at age 70 because she hadn't worked outside of the home much in her lifetime. She found herself really broke at 66 and 67, but didn't file because she thought that she'd get more by waiting until she was 70.

Out of desperation, she filed on her ex's account at age 68 and learned that she could have gotten the full amount of her spousal benefit once she reached full retirement age. The only saving grace was that Social Security was able to backdate her claim and pay her a lump sum for the prior 6 months. Unfortunately, she missed out on a few years of benefits.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 PM

983 posts, read 2,177,631 times
Here is a question, does it matter how long a couple were married to be able to file for that Ex SS? what are the rules, where can read about this? I get lost on the SSA website.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,579,794 times
10years.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM

Dang.. guess I am not getting anything :-)

Old 06-11-2014, 02:48 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,171,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Here is a question, does it matter how long a couple were married to be able to file for that Ex SS? what are the rules, where can read about this? I get lost on the SSA website.
you must have been married at least 10 years and not a DAY less. Many couples had almost ten and had divorce final a bit before ten years in which case NO BENEFITS.

Also you must wait TWO years from the time of the divorce. Hope that helps, oh if you qualify for spousal benefits then you would also qualify for survivor benefits if you Ex. died.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Thank you Luvmyhoss and arwenmark.. 5 years were enough for this one, SS is not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement