U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM

134 posts, read 187,508 times

Advertisements

So a senior manager at my office recently retired. On the last day of work, they had a get together at a restaurant. I had a prior engagement and could no attend. On my way out that day, I said something like "I'm sorry I can't make it, it's been a pleasure..." Then, I said I wished years of bliss." After I said it, I immediately regretted it, it sounded awkward. Is it appropriate to wish someone "many years of bliss in retirement"? I've heard of wishing people bliss in marriage but this felt weird. And then I felt bad about it especially because this is a relatively young person who may not have wanted to retire just yet. Anyway, I'm not sure if this was an appropriate thing to say and what a better wish would have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Yes it was a nice thing to say and I am sure he took it that way. I would have thought; what a nice original wish.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:29 PM

2,743 posts, read 1,701,611 times
I think "years of bliss" is a perfectly lovely thing to wish someone, and it would be difficult to imagine anyone taking it in a negative way. It's cute.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:42 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
I think "bliss" is a perfectly acceptable word. Maybe there is a better one to express your exact sentiment, but I sure wouldn't waste any time worrying about it. You did just fine.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
I agree, nothing wrong with the comment at all.

Put it out of your mind, it was fine.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,598 times
Now I'm trying to think of all the things one might wish someone upon their retirement................

Don't feel too bad for thinking you might have said something odd ..............the postal lady was delivering my mail on a particularly beautiful day - I mean, a perfectly WONDERFUL spring day and somehow we conversed about life in general and she revealed that her husband had died of cancer in recent years.......being somewhat brain dead at the moment, having spent too many days planting plants in my newly-dug beds, I told her how sorry I was for her loss and that I was sure that God gave this beautiful spring day to deliver mail in just for her....................

the weather has now turned hot - horribly horribly hot and humid and the sun is brutal and much too summer-like to be fair - and I can't even go in the front yard without provoking vertigo etc and it crossed my mind that the mail lady must wonder if she has done something terrible now to warrant these brutal scorching days.................although I doubt the mail lady has given my pronouncement a second thought.....

I will never again suggest that I have any inside knowledge as to the mind of God concerning weather................

so "bliss in retirement " seems fairly tame. I'll take bliss any day of the week- send some my way

Last edited by mzfroggez; 06-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: ommision/comission/remission of a word....

Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Bliss is the first word that comes to my mind when I think retirement.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Bliss is the first word that comes to my mind when I think retirement.
Gotta agree blissful describes our life these days.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,055,913 times
I'd be thrilled if someone wishes me "bliss" for my retirement, although a female might "get it" more than a male, but either way, it's good. All I get is "what are you going to do????" which makes me even happier that I only have a few weeks left. Talk about not getting it...

Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I'd be thrilled if someone wishes me "bliss" for my retirement, although a female might "get it" more than a male, but either way, it's good. All I get is "what are you going to do????" which makes me even happier that I only have a few weeks left. Talk about not getting it...
Loveautumn - I wish you many years of nothing but total mind boggling bliss when you retire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement