U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times

Advertisements

Yes; we moved further out from where we were to more peaceful country side. Love the change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM

703 posts, read 798,002 times
Almost one year after my dh retired we moved from Oklahoma City, OK to Greenville, SC. This was 8 months ago. Our son and his soon to be wife live here. It will be quite awhile until we are permanently settled. We are currently living in an apartment, moving next month to our sons condo since they will be working in Europe for two years. We love it here, and have no regrets. There is so much to do. We have made a considerable effort to meet other seniors, join groups, etc. We have children in California, but, they understand that we can not afford to live there.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM

6,547 posts, read 3,102,479 times
We moved from NY(Long Island) to a small town in central Florida. It was a great move for us. We have some family here.

Our adult children are all over the country except one still in NY and he likely will not stay there. Where we live is a great place for them to visit/vacation with the grand children so we see them often.

Overall we have more for our money and just overall a better quality of life. No regrets.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 PM

38,304 posts, read 14,974,624 times
We moved south and have a newer home, lot less snow shoveling, closer to our kids.

But I hadn't realized how hard it is to make new friends at this stage in our lives. I miss our friends and find myself on C-D a lot oftener than I'd like.

Volunteer, serve on committees, garden, walk our dogs, know our neighbors... it's all good. But we've not had any backyard barbecues or been invited to any. I miss that.

I miss running into old friend at the grocery store. I miss the casual get togethers as well as the planned parties. I hate the politics here. Seems needlessly cruel and short sighted.

I don't want to move back--too darn cold for too darn long. But I don't want stay here either.

I don't know how we could have done it any differently. It's a very nice community, but I dread growing old around virtual strangers.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Although I stayed put after retirement - always knew I would and have never regretted doing so - I have been reading this Retirement Forum for over four years now. A major chunk of the forum has to do with seeking a retirement location which fits various criteria. While people usually relocate for multiple reasons, not a single reason, if I try to distill people's reasons from the four years of reading, I would say the reasons are, in order of importance (or perhaps more accurately, in order of frequency as the most important):

1. Seeking a lower cost of living location.
2. Getting out of the ice and snow.
3. Being closer to children/grandchildren.

Of course there are other reasons, and no, I have not kept any tally. One can often see the agonizing, and indeed I sympathize with the difficulty of deciding, at least in many cases. As someone correctly said, most moves involve trade-offs.

I am so glad I liked it (and still like it) where I live; at least that aspect of my life has been greatly simplified.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:34 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,725,647 times
Plan to move after retirement in two years. Can't wait.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM

13,697 posts, read 8,604,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
We are about 5 years from retirement and are considering moving to a new town after we retire. We are happy and have a great life where we are, but would like to more to a smaller safer town. Our kids no longer live here.

Has anyone moved after retirement?
Was it a good move, or do you regret it?
No. We retired in place.
But about 5 years before retirement we starting living on the amount we would have during retirement.
Great move! It made our retirement seamless and stress free.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,823,436 times
We moved when I retired, from Columbus, Ohio to Sacramento, California.

In our case, the move was due to seeking better long term services for our adult handicapped child, but the move can also be evaluated without that consideration too.

I'd say that the move had some negatives and some advantages. We ended up spending a lot more for our home in California than we received from our home in Ohio, an increase of almost 100%. So cost wise the move was tough, and we also miss some of the family oriented attributes of our old area.

But there is a lot to do out here, and if you are bored it is only because you would choose to do nothing. We have a beautiful city out here, with a lot of charm and personality. We also are surrounded by a load of interesting and varied small towns that are interesting to visit, and we have the magnificent city of San Francisco, and the great surrounding area, only an hour and a half away. Also, the very popular Napa Valley with the wine industry and magnificent scenery is only a bit more than an hour away.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-12-2014 at 10:47 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
We are about 5 years from retirement and are considering moving to a new town after we retire. We are happy and have a great life where we are, but would like to more to a smaller safer town. Our kids no longer live here.

Has anyone moved after retirement?
Was it a good move, or do you regret it?
We moved from Northern California to the SW Missouri Ozarks. That was about five years ago. Excellent move. No regrets whatsoever.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't join the juvenile banter.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:02 PM

7,953 posts, read 5,058,504 times
I'm quite a few years away from retirement, but am itching to move. Having lived in major cities on both of the American coasts (and before that, in a major city in Eastern Europe), I moved to the rural Midwest for employment reasons. I love my job, but detest the locale, and have made few social connections here, despite having lived here for decades. Without any family or community connections, I aim to move somewhere where the taxes are lower, the people are less conservative (can those attributes be simultaneously true?), and the pace of life is faster. I actually feel more connection to some of the places where I travel on business, than to the area where I reside. So moving upon retirement will be the proverbial no-brainer. In fact I'll likely take early retirement, not because I aim to cease working, but because I wish for a lifestyle that my present location can not provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement