U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 PM

4,188 posts, read 2,603,300 times

Advertisements

We moved to Maui when we retired.

Love it - beautiful weather, year-around gardening. I surf every day. My wife paints every day.

The hard part - left good friends behind. But that is motivation for us to make regular trips to Seattle to visit. I can never live in Seattle again (too hectic, too cold), but it is wonderful to visit. So this is perfect for us.

We made the move saying "this is an adventure". It is fun trying new things, living new places.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 10:55 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,825,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We moved south and have a newer home, lot less snow shoveling, closer to our kids.

But I hadn't realized how hard it is to make new friends at this stage in our lives. I miss our friends and find myself on C-D a lot oftener than I'd like.

Volunteer, serve on committees, garden, walk our dogs, know our neighbors... it's all good. But we've not had any backyard barbecues or been invited to any. I miss that.

I miss running into old friend at the grocery store. I miss the casual get togethers as well as the planned parties. I hate the politics here. Seems needlessly cruel and short sighted.

I don't want to move back--too darn cold for too darn long. But I don't want stay here either.

I don't know how we could have done it any differently. It's a very nice community, but I dread growing old around virtual strangers.
You make a good point for those who have stayed in their area for a very long time. In our case, we moved four times during my career so we never really got to that point of setting down roots like you describe above. But I can see that being difficult to leave if you've had that experience over a long period of time.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 AM

8,214 posts, read 11,932,798 times
nm

Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,763,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You make a good point for those who have stayed in their area for a very long time. In our case, we moved four times during my career so we never really got to that point of setting down roots like you describe above. But I can see that being difficult to leave if you've had that experience over a long period of time.
People who are in the military expect to be moved around a lot, for example. I think it helps to have a good dose of Wanderlust if one is a career member of the military. My cousin was a pilot in the Air Force for over 20 years, and he has a large dose of Wanderlust. He once wrote to me that he longed to put down roots in a community after moving around all his life. So he did that but after 8 years he is looking around to move again. In his case, I think the Wanderlust is stronger than the desire to put down roots, although both feelings are genuine, even if contradictory.

My father worked for a federal agency and was assigned to five different locations over a 35-year career. In one place he stayed 17 years. My mother didn't like to be uprooted, even that often, and it was a source of tension in their marriage.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 AM

30,711 posts, read 49,503,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
Did you move after retirement?

... Has anyone moved after retirement?
Was it a good move, or do you regret it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I am always curious about that.. why would you move after you retire? is it just to have a new start or looking for cheaper place. ...
We have moved twice after I retired.

My last Duty Station was in Naples Italy, our visa for living there was due to my job, so we had to leave.

We had an apartment building in Connecticut, so when we returned stateside we went to Ct. But it was not really a place we wanted to live. That is a fairly expensive place to live and crime is high. I had been stationed there multiple times during my career, it made sense to buy it a decade previous.

A few years after my retirement, we located a place where we really wanted to settle, so we moved again.

I am very glad that we moved. This is a much better location for us.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:53 AM

5,809 posts, read 4,857,183 times
We moved from the foothills of northern California to a lakeside golf community in eastern Tennessee a couple years after we retired. We researched and visited a couple of times before making our decision. We planned the move for so long it seemed like it would never happen, but we finally set off on our big adventure and we're loving it. We've been here a year now and the time has just flown by. We love our community because it was easy to get to know folks here. There are a lot of clubs and volunteer groups and plenty of activities to keep us busy. So far I have no regrets. I am hoping more of my family will one day visit, but I know that might be just wishful thinking. They have their own lives and have never been to this part of the country or shown any interest in traveling this part of the country.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 AM

6,869 posts, read 7,818,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I am always curious about that.. why would you move after you retire?
My official retirement date was December 31, 2010. Believe it or not, we started the 1500 mile drive from Houston to Philadelphia on January 1, 2011. Among the reasons: 10 Day Weather Forecast for 77006 - weather.com

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 06-13-2014 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: correct spelling error

Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 AM

238 posts, read 339,585 times
We retired 3 years ago and have been planning a move from Northern MS during that time.

Our situation is that we had a late career move to MS to keep my job and protect my pension. Our children are in the Northeast and we do not want to return there due to high cost of living, traffic, and weather. Our plan is to move to the Knoxville, TN area in the next few months when our house sells. Our motivation to move is we like the outdoors and MS is very flat and hot.

We moved 6 times in my career and discovered everywhere you live has good and bad points.

If you have lived most of your life in one area, I can see the reluctance to move when retired. We now have friends in many places and enjoy going back to those areas to see changes and catch up with friends.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 AM

6,869 posts, read 7,818,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnemj View Post
If you have lived most of your life in one area, I can see the reluctance to move when retired. We now have friends in many places and enjoy going back to those areas to see changes and catch up with friends.
I hadn't considered this but I think you've ID'ed a salient point for this topic (+1). I've lived in 7 different states as an adult, so I didn't view packing up everything and moving half way across the country as some daunting task (though my company-paid moves were considerably less expensive)

Old 06-13-2014, 10:13 AM

6,624 posts, read 3,690,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
nm
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement