U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,959,752 times

Advertisements

I feel that a portion of the scenario is due to income.

With what the FED has done with low rates is effectively reduced income for a lot of retirees that were savers all their lives.

I have several friends that had 6 and 7% yields on fixed income instruments, once they mature and they reinvest, they get 2 1/2 to 3% so their income has dropped in half or more.

Yes I know there have been markets gains recently, but some do not want to risk capital.

Thanks FED you are destroying the savers and middle class retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:45 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
My grandparents had a neighbor named Don that was a hypochondriac, even though he had relatively little that was demonstrably wrong with him. After his wife died of cancer, his children put him in an assisted living facility, which he didn't object to. I remember taking my grandmother over to see him quite a bit and he'd always talk about how he "wanted the good Lord to come take me home."

He passed away a few months later.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:56 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Are you sitting at home waiting to die?
If you are, why?
If not how are you motivating yourself?
Why should people be motivated? Why do people need to be doing something every single moment of their lives? If they're not bored, why does everyone want them to keep busy? Why must people be constantly occupied and filling every moment of time?

Maybe they're just happy the way things are.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:57 PM

5,601 posts, read 4,936,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagonorth View Post
As awful as it sounds, I'm sitting around waiting for my mother to die. I'm in the unfortunate position of being responsible for so many of her day to day needs that I won't be able to truly live my life in retirement (or even get a vacation) until that occurs.
Sounds like you have caregiver's burnout. Don't feel bad; a lot of people in your situation feel the same way. Sending you thoughts of peace and strength.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,673,001 times
Find something that makes you smile or laugh, and do it every day. Whether it's gardening, reading or looking at cute cat videos. Laughter is so important and good for the soul. I know people who seem to have forgotten how. That's sad.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM

6,575 posts, read 3,667,513 times
I'm gonna hang on at least until the end of World Cup.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
Here is a variation on the OP's theme. Without getting into a bunch of psychobabble ...

The past few years I've taken a realistic look at my trajectory.

I am still working and will try to eke out another 15 or 20 years (which would take me to the current "retirement" age of 65; 20 years would take me just into my 70s). Looking at longevity of my parents' generation I did not win the DNA lottery. Couple this with stresses, both macro and micro.

Therefore, one might say, I am not sitting at home waiting to die. I am however busting my rear end expecting to die before I retire, unless I get "early retired" against my will.

It is what it is.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,554,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Sounds like you have caregiver's burnout. Don't feel bad; a lot of people in your situation feel the same way. Sending you thoughts of peace and strength.
Thanks for giving her a kind reply. I have this same burnout and the response from most people is a sentence that begins with the phrase, "You should ..." As if those of us in this situation haven't imagined, considered, and been forced to reject (for various reasons) their "solutions" to our problem. If we had more money, if we had family willing and able to help, if the person we are caring for had a different attitude, of course we would act to improve our situation. But often those aren't options. I really appreciate those who offer empathy without the need to criticize the choices that have been made.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:35 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,554,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Pretty much. Not much going on now and totally unmotivated since life is so BORING now compared to what I used to do. Physical problems and an old visage restricts my options.
I'm sorry for your boredom and I know well that physical limitations are often the cause of people changing their lifestyle against their will. I have read many of your other posts and, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you live in an isolated place by choice? I'm not going to start a sentence with "you should," rather I will ask, "Are you in a location that is as safe as one might be for your current restrictions?"

Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Why should people be motivated? Why do people need to be doing something every single moment of their lives? If they're not bored, why does everyone want them to keep busy? Why must people be constantly occupied and filling every moment of time?

Maybe they're just happy the way things are.

Yes, I have to agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or