U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:39 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,075,516 times

Advertisements

I thought my maternal grandpa was sitting waiting to die last year, but he was sitting (depressed) for a week because he was annoyed Boston won the 2013 World Series (he is a huge Yankees fan. Heck, I was annoyed Boston won also).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,456,960 times
Boogie's Mom at #10 - your description and thoughts sum up my thoughts exactly! And I like the way you describe it.

I share your summation and vision and general contentedness of current life.

Kadylady at #4, I do not find it necessary to have a trip or anything planned for the future - I find it unnecessary for happiness. You state how important it is - for some, perhaps, but certainly not for all.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,786,138 times
Yep, I'm waiting to die, for sure, even my handle here says it. I can't seem to pull myself up these past few years. They have been rough, that is a fact, but no rougher than in my youth. I just don't seem to be able to jump up so quickly when I get whacked over the head. Now, I just want to lie down.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:04 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, but when I open certain threads, I feel that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Fifties? Fifties? Hell, 50 is the new 30. I was 56 when I discovered something that I was good at - who knew? At the insistence of a friend, I auditioned for a play at a local theater and surprise!...I got the part. Acting was something I never knew I had in me and I went on to perform in 60+ plays, commercials, a couple of independent films. All while working a full-time job and keeping a home.

I enjoyed my work and was happy to continue after I reached my 65th. birthday. Unfortunately, eight months after I reached the magic number, the company saw otherwise, filed Chapter 11, closed our facility and I was officially retired. Acting saved me. No money but certainly gratifying in terms of acceptance by my peers and the audiences we entertained.

I was 69 before my health went to pot. An old heart valve (genetic) acted up and I had to have open-heart surgery to put in a new valve. Three months later, I was back on stage. Then my gall bladder went south. When I was 73, I had colon cancer. After six months of chemo, I once again appeared on stage in a physically demanding comedy.

I'm 78, and so far Death is just a speck on the horizon. Sure, it's out there, but I'm not afraid of it. I'm living proof that age is just a number. Sure, I have aches and pains - little arthritis, mild COPD, high blood pressure, occasional migraines - but I've never given up and never given in and I don't intend to start now. I'm not waiting for Death, I'm just keeping busy 'til he gets here. And maybe he'll confuse me with all the characters I've played on stage and won't know which one to take!
You have a good positive outlook.
So you're going to go smiling into your 90+.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,675,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Boogie's Mom at #10 - your description and thoughts sum up my thoughts exactly! And I like the way you describe it.

I share your summation and vision and general contentedness of current life.

Kadylady at #4, I do not find it necessary to have a trip or anything planned for the future - I find it unnecessary for happiness. You state how important it is - for some, perhaps, but certainly not for all.
I guess I should have said "for me", but the thread is asking about "sitting at home waiting to die", so I was making a positive comment about what helps me and others avoid that feeling.
I don't need to be busy all the time, but I do really LOVE to have something....at trip, visitors.....to look forward to. No one's way is better than another's.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,488,560 times
Recently I was talking to a friend and was told about a coworker who just dropped dead on the job. Lights out. Live while you can. Go fishing. Attend a Yankee game. (Forget the Red Sox). Take a cruise.

If money is an issue then try to marry into a lifestyle. Find someone comparable and share expenses. Just go out kicking and hopefully people will be laughing at your funeral telling stories about the things you may have said or done.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:55 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,980,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
...I just don't seem to be able to jump up so quickly when I get whacked over the head...
You would probably would have enjoyed life more if you had learned how to avoid the head whacks instead of learning how to recover from them.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:01 AM

11 posts, read 14,408 times
Yikes...no way! I just retired a few weeks ago after 40 years on the job. I'm loving every day and enjoying finally being able to do things around the house that I just never got around to doing.

I have found a way to produce items to sell on eBay...and I have always enjoyed buying and selling items on eBay. Not going to get rich-but it's just nice to look forward to buying and selling. I go to auctions and estate sales.

Sitting around waiting to die.......I just know that the train will pull into the station soon enough for all of us. Use the time you have now, you're not going to ever be able to go back and re-live your final year.

Find something to do, maybe foster some homeless animals-find a purpose and a reason to enjoy each day. If you let yourself stay in a funk to long, it will be very hard to climb back out.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 AM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Recently I was talking to a friend and was told about a coworker who just dropped dead on the job. Lights out. Live while you can. Go fishing. Attend a Yankee game. (Forget the Red Sox). Take a cruise.

If money is an issue then try to marry into a lifestyle. Find someone comparable and share expenses. Just go out kicking and hopefully people will be laughing at your funeral telling stories about the things you may have said or done.
I joke about that being me, dropping dead at my cash register, but I sure don't want to do it! When I waitressed I always said I'd end up working from my wheelchair with the big tray on front, an orange flag and an OOOGA horn. lol Yeah, I knew back then I'd never be able to retire.

I've considered going on a cruise. I can afford it and it might be a nice vacation. What stops me is that I don't want to go on a cruise by myself, even though I love, love, love my road trips alone. Being one, alone, amongst a couple thousand...well, no. Also, the idea of being 'stuck' in one place with a couple thousand people doesn't really turn me on either. Might as well just go to Vegas. lol

Old 06-17-2014, 02:08 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,242,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've considered going on a cruise. I can afford it and it might be a nice vacation. What stops me is that I don't want to go on a cruise by myself, even though I love, love, love my road trips alone. Being one, alone, amongst a couple thousand...well, no. Also, the idea of being 'stuck' in one place with a couple thousand people doesn't really turn me on either. Might as well just go to Vegas. lol
Ask about Special Interest Cruises.

Groups (baseball fans to scrapbook makers to Star Trek to educational to ecological to you-name-it) set the itinerary, arrange for special guests. They also set you up with roommates (that you never see anyway, LOL) so you don't pay the single surcharge. There's always someone to talk to, if you want. Very easy to make walk-around buddies or food buddies. Or you can bury your head in a book in a lounge chair.

I saw Alaska (Holland Lines, Vancouver to Sitka) with 700 like-minded people this way. The ship held 1200, so we out-numbered them
End of May was a perfect time. All blue sky except one. Only drizzly day we had was touring the totems in Ketchikan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or