U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM

8,621 posts, read 9,689,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Ask about Special Interest Cruises.

Groups (baseball fans to scrapbook makers to Star Trek to educational to ecological to you-name-it) set the itinerary, arrange for special guests. They also set you up with roommates (that you never see anyway, LOL) so you don't pay the single surcharge. There's always someone to talk to, if you want. Very easy to make walk-around buddies or food buddies. Or you can bury your head in a book in a lounge chair.

I saw Alaska (Holland Lines, Vancouver to Sitka) with 700 like-minded people this way. The ship held 1200, so we out-numbered them
End of May was a perfect time. All blue sky except one. Only drizzly day we had was touring the totems in Ketchikan.
Never thought about that. I wonder if they'd have cruises to different places for genealogical reasons. Now that would interest me and be fun! But then I'd have to cruise to really far away places like England, Ireland, Scotland, etc. and I doubt I could afford a trip that long. An airplane is the best way to do that one.

Even though I lived in Alaska a couple of years there's a LOT of it I never got to see. And I even did some small plane trips to see some of it. I'd love to go back and see some more. I thought about taking the ferry trip but that would cost about as much as a cruise without all the amenities. And 700 people is better than 2,000! Heck I've lived in towns with fewer people than that. lol My last trip up there I found out we would have a layover in Juneau. I had always wanted to see Juneau so I was glad. Well, I still haven't seen Juneau. It was raining so bad and so nasty I never even left the plane. And that was in July!

End of May is just about perfect in Alaska. The snow is melted and the mosquitoes haven't started to attack yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:36 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,359,564 times
No, I am not sitting home waiting to die. LOL
What motivates me is ..... I'm still alive!
(And glad of it)

Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
HDL

3,141 posts, read 6,022,359 times
Thumbs up WOW!! Great post!

And very inspiring TheaterGypsy ! I love to hear about people who started something new later in life ! I hope that you are able to enjoy acting for many more years !

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Fifties? Fifties? Hell, 50 is the new 30. I was 56 when I discovered something that I was good at - who knew? At the insistence of a friend, I auditioned for a play at a local theater and surprise!...I got the part. Acting was something I never knew I had in me and I went on to perform in 60+ plays, commercials, a couple of independent films. All while working a full-time job and keeping a home.

I enjoyed my work and was happy to continue after I reached my 65th. birthday. Unfortunately, eight months after I reached the magic number, the company saw otherwise, filed Chapter 11, closed our facility and I was officially retired. Acting saved me. No money but certainly gratifying in terms of acceptance by my peers and the audiences we entertained.

I was 69 before my health went to pot. An old heart valve (genetic) acted up and I had to have open-heart surgery to put in a new valve. Three months later, I was back on stage. Then my gall bladder went south. When I was 73, I had colon cancer. After six months of chemo, I once again appeared on stage in a physically demanding comedy.

I'm 78, and so far Death is just a speck on the horizon. Sure, it's out there, but I'm not afraid of it. I'm living proof that age is just a number. Sure, I have aches and pains - little arthritis, mild COPD, high blood pressure, occasional migraines - but I've never given up and never given in and I don't intend to start now. I'm not waiting for Death, I'm just keeping busy 'til he gets here. And maybe he'll confuse me with all the characters I've played on stage and won't know which one to take!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 AM

17,412 posts, read 21,254,176 times
If you're one of these people, like myself, thinking I wouldn't live to be 60, and did everything I always wanted to do, and never leaving anything to chance, what's wrong with sitting home and waiting to die?

It's all been done, nothing left to do! And if I had only know I was going to live longer, I wouldn't have hurriedly did all that previously, and stretched it out further!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,061,197 times
Nope, not sitting around waiting to die. I'm enjoying my life, taking trips, planning more trips, walking 3 miles a day, and more. There are people who are afraid of stairs, waiting for that big fall that will end their lives, waiting for planes to crash, waiting for the stock market to crash, waiting for hell to freeze over. I don't get it. It's all going to end someday for all of us so enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Nope, not sitting around waiting to die. I'm enjoying my life, taking trips, planning more trips, walking 3 miles a day, and more. There are people who are afraid of stairs, waiting for that big fall that will end their lives, waiting for planes to crash, waiting for the stock market to crash, waiting for hell to freeze over. I don't get it. It's all going to end someday for all of us so enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!
Right on sister.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,359,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you're one of these people, like myself, thinking I wouldn't live to be 60, and did everything I always wanted to do, and never leaving anything to chance, what's wrong with sitting home and waiting to die?

It's all been done, nothing left to do! And if I had only know I was going to live longer, I wouldn't have hurriedly did all that previously, and stretched it out further!
But you DID live to 60 and more...

And of course it's not all done - everyday you are alive LIFE opens doors and brings us new opportunities and experiences.
Your phone rings, and a neighbor needs some help.
You are at the grocery store and see a sign for something that has always interested you.
An abandoned stray dog shows up at your doorstep.
In the waiting room at the dentist's office, you strike up a stimulating conversation and find a new interesting friendship starts.
You lay down to take a rest, and life brings up a wonderful memory of a great time you had that you had forgotten about.
A friend gives you a delightful and thought-compelling book

Suddenly out of nowhere, you wake up in the middle of the night and decide to get a PhD in Physics.....life marches on.

I'm so glad you made it past 60 !

Last edited by mountainrose; 06-18-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:51 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Default Are you sitting at home waiting to die?

No! Actually I prefer standing in the garden when doing that.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
you can enjoy working and derive a lot of satisfaction from it, and still, after 30 or 40 years, be glad when it's over.

I wake up most every morning happy that I have no where to go, nothing to do, and no one waiting for me to get there.

Amen to that! I woke up "late" today and got that "Gotta hurry" feeling. Huh? I have all day to accomplish what I want to accomplish but there isn't anything that I HAVE to accomplish. Old habits die hard.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,581,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No! Actually I prefer standing in the garden when doing that.
Don't be surprised if you're planted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or