Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, I have to agree with you.
I also agree with that post. I for one have no problem with a bit of sloth and idleness. I worked hard all my life. I still work hard but only when I feel like it. Sometimes I don't do squat all day except read a book and waste time posting to C-D. So what? I earned the right to do what I want at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 PM

293 posts, read 558,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Thanks for giving her a kind reply. I have this same burnout and the response from most people is a sentence that begins with the phrase, "You should ..." As if those of us in this situation haven't imagined, considered, and been forced to reject (for various reasons) their "solutions" to our problem. If we had more money, if we had family willing and able to help, if the person we are caring for had a different attitude, of course we would act to improve our situation. But often those aren't options. I really appreciate those who offer empathy without the need to criticize the choices that have been made.
Thanks for this, Jukesgrrl. I feel the exact same way.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I'm 71 and still working 1/2 at my old job, some more as a consultant when i want. I have a summer place to keep up and plenty of time off to travel to see my kids in the US and UK. About a month ago, I flew from Copenhagen to Memphis and the next day my son and I left for the Bay Area in a rental moving van with a car trailer. That took 3 days. We spent the next 2 days moving furniture and riving around the East Bay to pick up all the things he lacked. Then I flew right back to Copenhagen and went to work. Two days later, my wife and I flew to Bilbao Spain where i had a 2 day job. We spent the next 2 days walking the city and shopping. Then back home again. Two days later, we had a garden party for 60+ people including 20 or so kids from 0-6 years. Two days of rest and back to work...and so on.

Death may be looking for me, but I'm not looking for him.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times
This city I live in is God's waiting room. Doctor Kevorkian would have field day here if he was alive.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Well, I gotta get the hedges trimmed. I'll think about it next week.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,052 times
Not waiting to die at all.......
I will be sitting out on my deck later looking at the snow capped Rockies with 2 fingers of Napoleon Brandy in a snifter, listening to a Miles Davis CD with my trusted dog curled up at my feet.....I WILL BE WAITING FOR THE SUN TO SET ON THE MOUNTAIN PEAKS....I'm waiting to LIVE....!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm sorry for your boredom and I know well that physical limitations are often the cause of people changing their lifestyle against their will. I have read many of your other posts and, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you live in an isolated place by choice? I'm not going to start a sentence with "you should," rather I will ask, "Are you in a location that is as safe as one might be for your current restrictions?"

My location isn't safe anymore due to the open border policy and all the drug stuff around here. But I can take care of myself better than relying on anyone else including the police. I will be moving in a few years just because I don't like what this area has become.

However, my boredom comes from having always had a very probably, extraordinary vital lifestyle: I am an adrenaline junkie, and now, it is ghastly depressing to be unable to ride horses on treks, hike vigorously, that sort of thing. I think once I am out of here and all of my dogs dead ( ugh !) I will travel again, but in a more conservative manner: hopefully not quite as bad as those grey hair tours but not galloping madly across open foreign countries. I just need some new and different stimulation. Thanx for the concern.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:19 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Why should people be motivated? Why do people need to be doing something every single moment of their lives? If they're not bored, why does everyone want them to keep busy? Why must people be constantly occupied and filling every moment of time?

Maybe they're just happy the way things are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, I have to agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I also agree with that post. I for one have no problem with a bit of sloth and idleness. I worked hard all my life. I still work hard but only when I feel like it. Sometimes I don't do squat all day except read a book and waste time posting to C-D. So what? I earned the right to do what I want at this point.
I didn't interpret the OP (which was admittedly vague and subject to interpretation) to be saying that people "need to be doing something every single moment of their lives" or that there is something wrong "with a bit of sloth and idleness". If people are content, truly content, then however much they are doing or not doing is the correct amount.

But I do come down more on the side of the OP. There ARE people who are vegetating big time and there is medical evidence (see "Younger Next Year" by Crowley and Lodge - Lodge being an M.D. who is interested in these things) that such vegetating negatively affects both health and longevity. Most of us are vitalized, energized, happier, and healthier if we have something that motivates us. Exaggerating that into "doing something every single moment" does not lead to a productive discussion. The something that motivates us does not have to be something requiring non-stop activity. It might be something we truly look forward to once a month, but it is something.

I retired from work, not from life. Full-time vegetating is not living for me. If people claim that they are truly content vegetating full-time, then I have to admit the possibility that they are correct (since we are all different), but I cannot escape the conclusion that they are deluding themselves. In other words, color me skeptical in the face of such a claim.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Not waiting to die at all.......
I will be sitting out on my deck later looking at the snow capped Rockies with 2 fingers of Napoleon Brandy in a snifter, listening to a Miles Davis CD with my trusted dog curled up at my feet.....I WILL BE WAITING FOR THE SUN TO SET ON THE MOUNTAIN PEAKS....I'm waiting to LIVE....!
Doesn't sound like you're waiting at all. You're doing what makes you happy

(My family nickname is Aunt Brandy - enjoy your snifter )

Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Why should people be motivated? Why do people need to be doing something every single moment of their lives? If they're not bored, why does everyone want them to keep busy? Why must people be constantly occupied and filling every moment of time?

Maybe they're just happy the way things are.
Yes! Totally agree. <applause> Whenever I talk about how I'd love to be able to retire I always get the ones who tell me how bored I'll be. How I'll wish I had my job back. Well, hooey on that! I don't get bored. I have plenty to keep me occupied...or not!...and if wasting time is enjoyable to me, it's not wasted time.

Since death is inevitable I'd have to say we are ALL "waiting to die". Someday. Not tomorrow, hopefully. I'm much to curious as to what life holds tomorrow. Most people would think I live a very boring life but it's mine and I like it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement