U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 60.13%
I drink decaf only 11 6.96%
I drink both 30 18.99%
I don't touch the stuff 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2015, 06:17 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,703,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louise50 View Post
For those of you with percolators, how long do you perk the coffee? Is it a stove-top or an electric percolator?

Electric and stove top will stop perking when they have perked. You don't have to time them. They both have glass knobs on top that you can see when it stops perking..
I've had both. The electric ones stopped when it was done of course. The stove top pot I just watched the glass knob and kind of went by color. I honestly don't remember how long I perked it but it was always good. I still have my Corning Ware stove top coffee pot and use it now and then just because I like it. I'll have to pay attention to how long it perks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 06:36 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Minimum 2 cups every morning - but my coffee cups are soup cups in disguise

Gevalia Peruvian Organic, Gevalia Kenya, or Yuban Dark Roast.
I like my coffee strong enough to stand up and shout. If I'm visiting my niece, I have to add a teaspoon of instant to the light brown liquid she calls coffee, LOL

Be a coffee-drinking individual espresso yourself!
I like Yuban also. Yum. I do espresso occasionally, but since I really like it after a good meal, I have to make sure I make & drink it after lunch, not dinner.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:40 PM

26,164 posts, read 28,561,667 times
Who cares?

Old 06-21-2015, 06:43 AM

19,846 posts, read 19,948,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Who cares?

A great example of the kind of post that helps you win $500.
Now that we know what it takes we should all have a better chance.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:14 PM

21,960 posts, read 14,442,747 times
After I retired, I realized that caffeine affected my blood pressure, so I stopped drinking regular full strength. I cut it with almost half of decaffeinated now, and I feel less hyper, less cranky, and have fewer anxious feelings. At lunch I make another pot of decaf. I use an electric drip maker, and I grind my own beans. I find that making the decaf stronger than normal makes a better cup.

I drink more coffee in the winter than I do in the summer.

I like a coffee house brew. If I am at Starbucks, I usually get a decaf Americano. I only take cream, no sugar ever.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Friends of ours have a coffee machine that allows you to set a time to grind and make. They set it the night before. I keep meaning to ask them what brand (Cuisineart?). Does anyone here know?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:46 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Friends of ours have a coffee machine that allows you to set a time to grind and make. They set it the night before. I keep meaning to ask them what brand (Cuisineart?). Does anyone here know?
Yes, it is a Cuisinart. Amazon has the 'sale' price at $249.64 and users reviews gave it only 2.5 star rating.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart Grind&Brew Thermal 12-Cup Coffee Maker: Drip Coffeemakers: Kitchen & Dining

IMO, these expensive 'multi-purpose' gadgets are just a way to get people to spend way more than needed. With the exception of the bread machine, IMO these Swiss-Army-knife gimmicks usually do not work as well as the single purpose machines.

It takes only a minute or two to grind the coffee beans so why bother with the grind and brew machine. If the timer feature is desirable, one can always grind the coffee the night before & can control the grinding time to have the desired ground coarseness. The whole idea of using whole beans instead of ground coffee is that the ground coffee gets oxidized thus affecting the taste. Even ground unrefrigerated coffee tastes pretty good after weeks or months. I very much doubt that the coffee ground the night before would not have much of a chance to get any oxidation.

I'm quoting below an interesting comment from a reviewer

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Grin.../dp/B002JPDLZ0

Quote:
Today we got urine colored coffee and discovered that somehow moisture got into the grinding chute and started to cake up the coffee grinds. Mind you, I clean the darn thing more than required by the manufacturer. And there is no way we caused this issue.

It went back today.
Being an engineer, concern about moisture getting into the grinding chute & motor was the first thing came to my mind before I saw that comment ;-)

Last edited by BellaDL; 06-22-2015 at 06:57 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,597,286 times
Anyone who really loves coffee can do a few things that will improve their brew to coffeehouse standard. I start each day with 2-3 cups & it's as pleasant as drinking a good wine, I look forward to it.

#1 Don't use a percolator: coffee is a food & once a food is cooked correctly you should take it off the heat. Percolators cook coffee over & over & over... until it is bitter, same with keeping your brew on a hotplate, it just overcooks your food. You can have the best prime steak but if you keep it on the heat for 30 minutes you will end up with a much diminished product. A french press like a Bodum or a good drip machine with an insulated carafe.

And that is where it gets difficult - a good drip machine. Coffee needs to be brewed at around 190-205F - boiling water, virtually all of the drip machines at the store brew around 165-170 for potential legal liability reasons. A lower temp will make the java sour. There are only 2-3 manufacturers that boil the water & they tend to be expensive, otoh my machine, Technivorm, is still going strong after 16 years while my brother has gone through at least 3 "cheaper" drip machines. (I liken the Technivorm to a Briggs & Stratton mower or a slant 6 engine: simple, dependable & easy to repair, but it hasn't needed repair yet.)

#2 Good beans, roasted relatively recently- look for a date on the bag within a month or so of use, ground at the right grind just before brewing. I resisted buying a good grinder thinking it was just voodoo but I was wrong, money well invested to my everyday start.

OK... it's a bit geeky & most folks just want a quick cup o' joe & couldn't care less, but I find it one of each day's small pleasures.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Anyone who really loves coffee can do a few things that will improve their brew to coffeehouse standard.

#1 Don't use a percolator: coffee is a food & once a food is cooked correctly you should take it off the heat. Percolators cook coffee over & over & over... until it is bitter, same with keeping your brew on a hotplate.
Agree. However, I think some people are used to the 'burnt' taste of percolator and prefer it! Even with drip coffee, I turn off the machine as soon as the brewing stops. The microwave oven is great for quickly warm up the coffee. Just to make sure don't overheat it!

Quote:
And that is where it gets difficult - a good drip machine.
A good drip machine does not need to be expensive. We have an inexpensive Braun coffee maker for at least 15 years and quite happy with it.

Here is a recent review of coffee makers

Great Coffeemakers - Best Coffeemakers

Quote:
#2 Good beans, roasted relatively recently- look for a date on the bag within a month or so of use, ground at the right grind just before brewing.
I agree that good beans, freshly roasted is the key thing & the beans should be ground just before brewing (or maybe overnight if one uses a coffee maker with a timer). Years ago, my mother only bought green coffee beans and roasted them in a small batch to be used within a week. I find whole beans in vacuum-sealed bags are fine and keep the opened bag in the freezer to minimize oxidation.

One more thing which I think important for a good cup of coffee is the water. Never ever use city tap water. Even a hint of chlorine smell spoils the brew! If you don't have good well water (luckily that we do), use bottled spring water.

P.S To make this post appropriate for a retirement forum, I think that my coffee will taste even better when I retire. Then, I will have more time to research for the best sources of coffee beans, spring water and may even have the time to roast the beans myself ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or