Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:11 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times

Advertisements

I'll drink it but I'm not crazy about it. I drink decaff mostly but if it's early in the day and someone offers me caff. I'll have that. I do love iced coffee in hot weather. Brand will usually be Vermont Coffee Roaster or New England coffee. I make it in a drip coffee maker or even a melitta for only one cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM

196 posts, read 208,028 times
I like seeing--and I'm surprised--that so many responders like their coffee strong and dark! Me too! I've also been drinking coffee since around age 16. Currently, we drink Starbucks French Roast at home and at Starbucks. Mmmm good! (No, I'm not a shill for Starbucks (I don't think . . .); it's just good coffee.) Actually, most coffee shop dark roasts are good. What I have trouble understanding is people and restaurants that serve brownish water and think of it as "coffee."

Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 PM

253 posts, read 376,747 times
I never liked the taste or smell of coffee. I'm also sensitive to the caffeine and get shaky and have difficulty sleeping. I also don't drink soda often, though there are caffeine-free alternatives. I just figured that it was a habit that I didn't need. Folks who are hooked on caffeine have always seemed kind of miserable until they get their daily fix.

I do like tea and will drink decaf tea or herbal varieties. I mostly listen to my body and if it tells me that I need to rest, then that is what I do. Of course, it does help that I can set my own schedule. I do find that if I eat better quality food, then I have more energy.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,868,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
2 cups only, in the morning, that's it for the day, so I want it to be good & enjoyable.
Fresh locally roasted whole beans, ground with my own grinder just before brewing. Drip coffee-maker that brings water to boiling temperature (this eliminates most of the mainstream ones, you have to search a bit for this info).

The fresh coffee then goes into a thermal carafe. Great way to start the day. Mmmmmm......
The Mr. Coffee I got recently has the hottest water I've ever seen in one. I have to be really careful with that first sip because it IS close to boiling. Shocked me when I first got it but I know to watch it now.

I have a thermal carafe for if I want to sit outside in the morning and not trek back and forth to the kitchen.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:25 AM

21,450 posts, read 8,650,044 times
Mr. Bay and I drink a couple of cups in the morning, usually caffeinated. If we're going to be on the road, we'll stick to decaf so we don't have to make as many pit stops. In the evening we only drink decaf coffee or sometimes a decaf espresso or cappuccino. (Mr. Bay drinks cappuccino as an after-dinner drink, but I think cappuccino should only be for breakfast.)

We have a Cuisinart drip coffee maker with a cone filter. Our coffee comes from either Peet's or one of the local coffee vendors such as Martha & Brothers or Bernie's. In a pinch we'll settle for Starbucks. We like Mocha-Java, Sumatra or whatever the house blend is.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,948,042 times
I despised coffee till my 40's. Couldn't stand the stuff. Then I went on this business trip to Seattle and everyone was saying I had to go to Starbucks. This was before there was one on every corner. There was one at my hotel and I asked them to make something that didn't taste like coffee. Since then I have been hooked. I now love it as much as I used to hate it!

I have 2 coffee makers, a Krups, and Cuisinart. I think the Cuisinart is the better of the two. I drink 2 HUGE cups of coffee every morning and we drink it all day during the Winter/cold weather. I usually grind my own beans but I'm not a snob. I will drink anything dark and strong. My fave is Illy Espresso Grind Dark. But Kirkland coffee(costco) is good too.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:31 AM

3,575 posts, read 4,492,541 times
I have a Bunn coffee maker. Bh can drink caffeine anytime and not stay awake.
He can sit upright at the kitchen table and fall asleep.
I am so jealous.

Favorite brand is Kona. A friend brought a pound back from Hawaii. Great taste.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 AM

16,369 posts, read 30,133,392 times
My favorite coffee - Community Coffee from Baton Rouge, LA.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM

11,026 posts, read 9,659,351 times
Love the smell of coffee and the taste of coffee ice cream and Kahlua. I would definitely be an iced mocha type, but I can't touch the stuff. It tears up my stomach, gives me horrible cramps and nausea for about 8 hours almost every time I try any, even the foo-foo stuff. So no coffee for me, ever.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Mr. Bay and I drink a couple of cups in the morning, usually caffeinated. If we're going to be on the road, we'll stick to decaf so we don't have to make as many pit stops.

Caffeinated means more pit stops??
It's the same amount of liquid??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement