Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,368,857 times

Advertisements

Biggest coffee disappointment - when it doesn't taste the way it smells, LOL

Bought some Chocolate Raspberry Coffee just because of the smell of the beans.
Made some the next morning.
The whole house smelled delicious.
It was an Oh-My-God-Bombshell, I want to smell this all the time.

It tasted like ... coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,984,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Caffeinated means more pit stops??
It's the same amount of liquid??
I'll bet the caffeine makes for a nervous blatter.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,270,932 times
Coffee in moderation - if you can tolerate it - is very healthful - loaded with antioxidants. I've been a coffee drinker (breakfast only) my entire life. I do not drink decaffeinated ever - gives me a huge headache, always has. During the day I drink water and occasionally herb tea. At night, after dinner, it's mint tea, usually.

Years back when I worked, I probably drank a bit more during the day. Rarely at night, unless eating out. Now, it's one to two mugs in the morning (varies) and that's it. Don't grind my beans and don't search out specialty coffees. Half Folger's classic, half Folger's Gourmet Hazelnut (strong) - w/skim milk. 72 y/o - no high blood pressure, very healthy.

I would be a very unhappy camper if I could never drink coffee - and believe Real Coffee is like dark chocolate - one should have a little every day.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:43 PM

6,872 posts, read 11,185,641 times
Smile Coffee drinking

Not retired but husband started drinking coffee about 12 years ago thanks to our daughter who sort of introduced him to it.

He gets 2 a day - around 10 AM at Starbucks (large or vente or whatever it's called) - just black and I get a Green Tea (yum!)

Then, he gets another around 4 PM or so and I get a Camomile (spelled wrong) tea.

He's in his (mid to late) 50's.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,854,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Biggest coffee disappointment - when it doesn't taste the way it smells, LOL

Bought some Chocolate Raspberry Coffee just because of the smell of the beans.
Made some the next morning.
The whole house smelled delicious.
It was an Oh-My-God-Bombshell, I want to smell this all the time.

It tasted like ... coffee.
My mom swears by Hazelnut. It tastes like regular coffee to me until she puts the Hazelnut creamer in it.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 PM

Default Fyi

Thought some of you might like these copy car recipes of Starbuck stuff:

Copycat Starbucks Recipes For Coffee And Breakfast - Food.com

Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,204,345 times
I'm not quite retired but it makes me get up at night and hit the potty so I eliminated (no pun intended) caffeine from my diet, mostly. Sleep is more important.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,138,179 times
I'm not retired, so I can't vote, either. I started drinking coffee about 30 years ago when I got a "real" job and had to do a lot of sitting. I was fidgety just sitting there and needed something to "do," so started drinking coffee.

After lots of years of trying different things, now I use a Keurig. For several years I think my taste wasn't quite right and I kept buying and trying and throwing away coffeemakers thinking they made bad coffee. I think it wasn't the coffeemaker, but me. But with the Keurig, people can choose the flavor/strength they like. I prefer breakfast blend or milder/not as bold, but others like their coffee stronger. I also like that it just makes ONE cup of coffee at a time because some days I might drink four or five cups and other days one or two or none. I hated making a pot of coffee and feeling like I needed to drink the whole thing not to be wasteful. And it was also scorched by the time I got to the bottom (bought the coffeemakers with carafes too, to avoid that, but still....)

Also, you can use the Keurig for hot cider, hot chocolate, hot tea, and just hot water for whatever you need hot water for.

Yes, the pods are kind of expensive. But I buy them at Costco for about $38 for a box of 80 to 100 depending on brand, so it's not too bad. I guess if you were the kind of person who drank a pot or two a day then you wouldn't want a Keurig, but it works great for DH and I. He usually makes two cups to take with him in the morning and I normally drink one or two cups.

I'm a Starbucks fan, too! I used to have Starbucks every day, but since we got the Keurig it's more like once a week or once every two weeks. With Starbucks, I like it strong - always get an espresso drink (latte).

About caffeine - I wouldn't drink coffee without caffeine. What's the point?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Those that aren't yet retired are most welcomed here. Not sure what a more appropriate title would have been - "Over 50~~~".

Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,249,809 times
You can have my last cup of coffee (quality Arabica varietals, of course), when you pry it from my cold dead hands. Currently Kenya AA, medium roast from the Baltimore Coffee & Tea Company). I migrate to different country choices over multi-year periods. (Kenya, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, etc.)

2-3 12 oz. cups in the morning while perusing the news, made in my $12 Black & Decker single cup drip coffee maker. I may have 2-3 additional cups during the day and/or evening. When I travel, I take my personal supply and my coffee maker, not fond of junk coffee.

On occasion, I'll use a French press for some special varietal choices I want to experience. The FP is the best way to brew it but isn't worth the time for my regular consumption.

Life without good coffee would be a bummer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement