U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 60.13%
I drink decaf only 11 6.96%
I drink both 30 18.99%
I don't touch the stuff 22 13.92%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,572,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I drink Folgers in the morning and through the day with a real coffee pot, not one of those electric things, and have 2 espresso after dinner but before bedtime and I sleep very nicely.
One morning the power was out. But one must have coffee. I put the coffee in and the carafe in the black and decker brewer, boiled the water on the gas stove and drizzled it in. I kill about one drip brewer a year, but get the cheaper ones since the more expensive ones die just as soon. But power or no power I had my coffee.

Dad once took a Mr. Coffee apart. the heating line wasn't insulated. He tossed it and vetoed any further mr. coffees. But he checked around and the black and decker and most brands were safe so we didn't go back to the perculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 02:07 PM

21,546 posts, read 44,085,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Me too. Diet Pepsi first thing in the morning just like most people drink coffee, except nice and cold. I have tried coffee many times and it always ends badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I never actually acquired a taste for coffee. The first cup I had as a teenager turned me off on it forever. I suppose you could say Diet Coke is "my coffee".
My mitzvah for the day:
Quote:
Phosphorus

Diet soda isn't the only drink that can increase your risk of bone loss. Cola of any type, whether it's regular, diet or caffeine-free, contains phosphorus, an ingredient that increases the acidity of your blood. In an effort to neutralize the acidity, your body leaches calcium from your bones, leading to bone loss over time. In fact, just three colas per week may be enough to create significant bone loss in women, according to Katherine Tucker, a senior scientist and director of the dietary assessment and epidemiology research program at Tufts University.

Diet Soda Connection to Bone Density Loss | LIVESTRONG.COM
Also:

7 side effects of drinking diet soda - Health - MSN Healthy Living

I have never drunk soda. Knew 40 years ago it was an unhealthy 'drink.' Friend of mine - lifelong soda drinker - doesn't have a tooth in her head due to bone loss, previously had any number of root canals, she has had three surgeries for kidney stones, and has a bladder ailment as well. She can't stand water. Only now, lately, after the damage is done is she trying to cut back on soda. Sure, it's possible soda didn't do this - but, since soda throughout the day was a staple her entire life, I'm pretty sure it was a strong contributor.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:42 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,953,845 times
Coffee...

Ask 100 different people - you'll get 100 different answers.

I like my coffee (one cup in the morning - but gotta have it) medium roast Folger's made in a small drip maker with non-dairy creamer and exactly one teaspoon of sugar.

My husband thinks my coffee tastes like dish water. After staying in a hotel room that had one - we bought a Nespresso machine - this one:

PIXIE, the new coffee machine by Nespresso

It makes an excellent cafe lungo (more like regular coffee than an espresso).

Lungo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nespresso has various strengths/flavors of coffee. But even the weakest - with cream and sugar - was a bit strong for my taste. Note that you find these machines at Williams Sonoma and various department stores. And these places will usually demo the machine for you. So you can see how it works - and how the coffee tastes. See whether or not it suits your palate.

The machine (and the coffee) are kind of an indulgence. But what the heck. My husband only drinks one or two a day - and a year's worth of coffee costs a lot less than things that are a lot less fun - like replacing a crown. And he loves what this machine produces. Life is too short to drink coffee you don't like! Also - the machine is convenient if you're not consuming cups and cups of the stuff.

FWIW - when it comes to sugar - well that drives me nuts. I like packets of sugar (we sometimes get sugar ants in Florida). And it is super hard to get ones with one teaspoon of sugar these days. The ones you find in the grocery store all have about 3/4 teaspoon. Dealing with 1 1/2 packets of sugar isn't my idea of a good time. So I buy the old fashioned 1 teaspoon packets on line - here:

Shop online for the brands you love at MyBrands.com | My Brands

Anyway - report back when you've decided what to do. Robyn

Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 PM

55,696 posts, read 74,690,590 times
if you have a low heart rate a few cups along with excercise is good.
2 pots a day? think again.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
...I have never drunk soda. Knew 40 years ago it was an unhealthy 'drink.' ...
I'm sure I must have consumed soda when I was younger. But haven't for decades. Carbonated beverages make me burp too much .

The really weird thing is how many people here in the south consume huge amounts of diet soda - and are morbidly obese. I saw one woman who must have weighed 350+ pounds rolling out of Publix the other day (in the electric handicap cart - she couldn't even walk) - and she must have had 4 cases of diet soda in her cart. I'm sure there's some medical research on this (like maybe this stuff taken in large amounts affects your metabolism?). But I just tend to avoid things I see in the grocery carts of morbidly obese people (which - curiously - might not be the usual suspects like a steak or a bag of potatoes - or even a loaf of bread or a bag of tasty chips). It's things like the cases of diet soda that stick in my mind. Robyn

P.S. I have kind of a sweet tooth - and believe that real sugar in reasonable amounts never harmed or killed anyone. I either use real sugar - or none at all.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if you have a low heart rate a few cups along with excercise is good.
2 pots a day? think again.
When I was young and working - I probably drank about 4-6 cups a day. When I stopped working - and started to mellow out a bit - I found that this much caffeine just made me jumpy. Still - all people are different. My late MIL and FIL used to drink a lot of coffee (about 4-6 cups a day) until medical conditions like CHF dictated otherwise when they were in their late 70's. Robyn

Old 06-16-2014, 07:09 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,983,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Well, you can "fix" that with the way we used to make Navy coffee when I first started working for DoD.

Just make your coffee as you normally would through your drip coffee maker. Then, add another tablespoon or two to the coffee grounds that were already used, and take the coffee you already made and pour it in as though it was water, running the coffee through a second time.

I guarantee you it won't be too weak.
Ewww...used grounds? That's some strong coffee. Does it climb out of the pot and salute before it climbs into a cup?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:14 PM

21,546 posts, read 44,085,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The really weird thing is how many people here in the south consume huge amounts of diet soda - and are morbidly obese. I saw one woman who must have weighed 350+ pounds rolling out of Publix the other day (in the electric handicap cart - she couldn't even walk) - and she must have had 4 cases of diet soda in her cart. I'm sure there's some medical research on this (like maybe this stuff taken in large amounts affects your metabolism?).
And, you would be right. From the link I posted above:
Quote:
Messed-Up Metabolism
According to a 2008 University of Minnesota study of almost 10,000 adults, even just one diet soda a day is linked to a 34% higher risk of metabolic syndrome, the group of symptoms including belly fat and high cholesterol that puts you at risk for heart disease. Whether that link is attributed to an ingredient in diet soda or the drinkers' eating habits is unclear. But is that one can really worth it?

Obesity
You read that right: Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%.

Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more.

7 side effects of drinking diet soda - Health - MSN Healthy Living
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
believe that real sugar in reasonable amounts never harmed or killed anyone. I either use real sugar - or none at all.
I agree - the real thing, or none at all. If it works in a recipe, I try to use REAL Maple Syrup Grade B (more flavor) or Grade A - which I can buy our local coop - 32 oz. $20 - produced by a local farm. Never use commercial syrups - and rarely eat anything containing corn syrup/high fructose syrups.

Last week I tried vanilla organic ice cream in my coffee - woo hoo - quite a treat. Might try to search out a flavored organic creamer for a change from the usual skim milk.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-16-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 PM

895 posts, read 1,333,644 times
Coffee would definitely fall into the "one of my favorite things" category......

I probably pour around 6-8 mugs a day (mugs are likely 8-10 oz) ...... on average, I will lose half of those around the house or the yard in the course of the day so consumption may only be around 4 ten oz mugs. When desperate, I will warm up one of the lost mugs in the morning as I brew a new pot. Warmed up coffee is sometimes ok/mostly not.

A consistently good coffee brand is the Target Archer Farms/love the Coconut Macaroon. You actually can taste a bit of coconut when you drink the first cup or so. Also the New England brand coffee is always good/my go - to when I grow tired of other brands . The Hazelnut and French Vanilla are my favorites. Always a good cup of coffee. I generally catch all of these on sale/and stock up. New England goes on BOGO sales regularly at Ingles so makes it really reasonable and Target often puts the Archer on sale.
I do like some of the Folger flavored coffees as well and the south Carolina brand Iron City but they charge too much for it so it's an occasional buy. I die for good Amaretto coffee but it's hard to find. For some reason, very few places carry it . The smell is to die for if you are an Amaretto person. As a native Amarettian, it is my national drink.....when I can find it/generally only when visiting Amaretta.

And of course, as one poster noted, I have returned to perking my coffee . I found an old Farberware coffee pot in Florida several years back and retired my auto-drip maker immediately. The sound of the perking, the smell, everything was so much better. It finally after years of use shorted out and instead of burning down the premises, I started using an old Kenmore percolator, also a thrift shop find. Neither cost more than 5.00 and I could have sold them on Ebay for twenty to thirty dollars. They make excellent coffee/better than the newer percolators, or so I have been told.

Though I like the flavored coffees, I don't like sweet coffee so black only/no sugars or creamers. I drink coffee from am to pm, without interference with sleep. But then again, I actually need the significant stimulants to sleep on a regular basis so that's just my body. Oddly enough, coffee which I loved when younger could also over-stimulate me but I also smoked at that time so I think the two constricted my arteries........or something like that

I love coffee! It's the perfect social drink/alone time drink/summer/winter / whenever.

Welcome to the coffee club, Umbria!!! And on that note, almost fainted when I saw you were looking at Wilmington NC where I had been in and out of for two years prior via Kure Beach ....................if you end up closer to upstate SC, you'll have to drop in for a cup of the bean of life!!! I have GREAT mugs!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
Coffee would definitely fall into the "one of my favorite things" category......

I probably pour around 6-8 mugs a day (mugs are likely 8-10 oz) ...... on average, I will lose half of those around the house or the yard in the course of the day so consumption may only be around 4 ten oz mugs. When desperate, I will warm up one of the lost mugs in the morning as I brew a new pot. Warmed up coffee is sometimes ok/mostly not.

A consistently good coffee brand is the Target Archer Farms/love the Coconut Macaroon. You actually can taste a bit of coconut when you drink the first cup or so. Also the New England brand coffee is always good/my go - to when I grow tired of other brands . The Hazelnut and French Vanilla are my favorites. Always a good cup of coffee. I generally catch all of these on sale/and stock up. New England goes on BOGO sales regularly at Ingles so makes it really reasonable and Target often puts the Archer on sale.
I do like some of the Folger flavored coffees as well and the south Carolina brand Iron City but they charge too much for it so it's an occasional buy. I die for good Amaretto coffee but it's hard to find. For some reason, very few places carry it . The smell is to die for if you are an Amaretto person. As a native Amarettian, it is my national drink.....when I can find it/generally only when visiting Amaretta.

And of course, as one poster noted, I have returned to perking my coffee . I found an old Farberware coffee pot in Florida several years back and retired my auto-drip maker immediately. The sound of the perking, the smell, everything was so much better. It finally after years of use shorted out and instead of burning down the premises, I started using an old Kenmore percolator, also a thrift shop find. Neither cost more than 5.00 and I could have sold them on Ebay for twenty to thirty dollars. They make excellent coffee/better than the newer percolators, or so I have been told.

Though I like the flavored coffees, I don't like sweet coffee so black only/no sugars or creamers. I drink coffee from am to pm, without interference with sleep. But then again, I actually need the significant stimulants to sleep on a regular basis so that's just my body. Oddly enough, coffee which I loved when younger could also over-stimulate me but I also smoked at that time so I think the two constricted my arteries........or something like that

I love coffee! It's the perfect social drink/alone time drink/summer/winter / whenever.

Welcome to the coffee club, Umbria!!! And on that note, almost fainted when I saw you were looking at Wilmington NC where I had been in and out of for two years prior via Kure Beach ....................if you end up closer to upstate SC, you'll have to drop in for a cup of the bean of life!!! I have GREAT mugs!!!
Well, you'll have to come on down to Wilmington and check out my coffee (???????). Sure do love that entire area. Asheville was great too. Good to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or