Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Ewww...used grounds? That's some strong coffee. Does it climb out of the pot and salute before it climbs into a cup?
It certainly helps open your eyes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 04:57 AM

3,575 posts, read 4,493,078 times
Used grounds will keep ants away.
It burns their tiny feet.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,244,863 times
There's good reason to keep drinking that caffeinated coffee every day AARP's Eat to Lower Dementia Risk says 3 cups of caffeine a day.

I do plan on reducing my 10 cup a day habit down to 3 or 4

Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,561,638 times
I stopped drinking caffeine when I realized it was exacerbating my anxiety. Only decaff since, that'll be 10-ish years now, and that started while I was working. Any caffeine I drink comes from an occasional cola.

At home and at camp I use a single-serving French Press, and a mild roast (don't like the dark/French roasts - they taste only bitter to me). DH drinks only tea, and it's "proper tea" (none of that Lipton's nonsense).

Most mornings I walk just short of a mile to *$$ where I order off-menu (closest description is a decaff latte with one pump of mocha), and then walk just short of a mile back home. It works out even for calories, and it's fun enough that I'm motivated to get my bit of exercise for the morning.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:18 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,417,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

The really weird thing is how many people here in the south consume huge amounts of diet soda - and are morbidly obese.

I'm sure there's some medical research on this (like maybe this stuff taken in large amounts affects your metabolism?).
Funny you should mention! I wondered the same thing a couple of months ago, once a close friend was diagnosed with diabetes. Turns out there IS medical research! and your hunch is right!

Fake sweeteners interfere with the bod's capability to regulate metabolizing something-or-other. Consequently, the bod continues to crave quickly digestible carbos and the fat piles on. I'm not sure the article (WebMD or some such) actually drew the conclusion that "ingesting fake sweeteners makes you fat", but that's the lesson I took.

Back to coffee - not retired yet so did not vote. However, I drink a lot of coffee, and am not choosy about the brands I buy as long as they're on sale. I estimate consumption at about a pot a day.

Very interesting to find out about different varieties of coffee here!

Old 06-06-2015, 09:25 AM

5,946 posts, read 5,092,846 times
I love coffee. Now retired, I drink maybe 3 cups/mugs per day. If I'm out and about that afternoon, I might stop and buy a cup. I buy the Wegman's brand which to me tastes very nice. I drink it black and the hotter, the better. Lukewarm doesn't do it, tho I do like an occasional iced coffee. I do not like Starbucks, have never understood its popularity. Dunkin Donuts sells good coffee, but more expensive, and not as wonderful as some say. I think McDonald's and Burger King brew some decent coffee, too, and by the way it's a lot cheaper.
Only time I stay away from coffee is when I'm sick and it doesn't taste very good. But that does not happen often, thank goodness.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:41 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,244,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Lukewarm doesn't do it, tho I do like an occasional iced coffee. I do not like Starbucks, have never understood its popularity. Dunkin Donuts sells good coffee, but more expensive, and not as wonderful as some say.
Oh in this area everyday for 3 pm to 6 pm, Dunkin has its large iced coffee for only $1. Give me a large iced mocha extra cream and sugar

Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Three cups a day still, two in the morning, one mid-afternoon. I splurge and buy coffee from organically grown beans. They spray the h*** out of nonorganic, and then the pesticides would be far worse than any caffeine we might consume.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,743,466 times
I drink coffee in spurts. I will not touch it for months or years even, and then I will fire up the Mr Coffee and drink some for weeks or months before I stop again.

I drink decaf and have given up caffeine totally in everything I drink. I noticed that at the end of the day I was having jaw pain, sort of a tightness in my jaw, and I did some Googling. Caffeine can do that, and since I stopped I have had no more issues with it.

Don

Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,805,866 times
I drink about two to three cups (coffee cups not measuring cups) of caffeinated coffee every day in the morning. When I was working I could drink an entire pot of the stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement