Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times

Advertisements

I drink two cups of the full octane brew in the am.
Then any more later is brown colored water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
I used the drip coffeemaker for years, then a friend that retired right after I did told me his Mom gave him her percolator pot, and he now swears by it. I ordered me a 1950 model ( American made ) off Amazon, and I will never go back to the drip kind. The flavor is great, and makes the house smell so good in the morning. I usually only drink 2 cups a day, but they are 2 cups worth savoring. My wife has bad acid reflux, and the Dr. told her to lay off coffee. But we found Kava instant, and she has no problem drinking her 2 cups in the morning.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,465 times
Two cups every morning. Caffeinated and strong! I usually grind my own beans, but I'm not a coffee snob. I usually buy what's on sale. But, I won't drink instant or weak coffee.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I drink two cups of the full octane brew in the am.
Then any more later is brown colored water.

Yeah, and some people wonder why I've lost the zest for life ! I tell you, quitting coffee (heck I used to be a COP !) was a bad thing. Now I'm waiting for my health to get worse and I'd have to quit drinking and smoking cigars. What's left????

Old 06-13-2014, 04:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Nope, can't drink coffee. Or sodas. Or juices. Or any type of alcoholic drinks. The only thing I can drink safely is decaf green tea.

Somedays though I'd almost kill for a good cup of coffee. And a beer. Its hard to get thru the day without those.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
We brew coffee with a French Press using dark roast coffee, with Sumatra being our current favorite.

DH can drink coffee right before bed with no affect. He usually doesn't though, probably because he knows if I have a cup with him, I'll be talking his ear off past midnight.

Our DS drinks a cup of coffee and lays down for a nap. The caffeine kicks in around the 20-25 minute mark and he wakes up refreshed. He had read about it here and it works great for him. He'll come over with the grandkids sometimes when the DIL is working a twelve hour shift and takes one of these naps.

Last edited by jean_ji; 06-13-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM

99,563 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Two cups every morning. Caffeinated and strong! I usually grind my own beans, but I'm not a coffee snob. I usually buy what's on sale. But, I won't drink instant or weak coffee.
Pretty much the same for me. I grind my own beans for two STRONG cups of caffeinated coffee in the morning. I buy my coffee at either Trader Joe's or a local coffee shop here in the city.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I am doing some research on the coffee drinking habits of retirees. I am not a coffee drinker but have thought about taking up the habit - I could use a bump now and then. I tried it when I was at school when studying for finals but it got me so wired I couldn't concentrate.

I am also interested in what brand of coffee you drink as well as any tips on making great coffee. I always feel sorry for those that come here and drink the coffee I make - they of course say it's good but I always wonder if they are just being polite.

Do you cut off caffeinated at a certain time of of the day? How many cups do you drink a day? Would you like to stop drinking it? If so, why?

Let's talk coffee~~~
I didn't start drinking coffee till I was 18 and met my future husband. We were 'poor kids' so had a lot of coffee dates. Drinking coffee and talking for hours. Mine probably could've been called coffee in my cream and sugar back then though. I eventually quit that and drink it black still. Once in a while I'll throw some French Vanilla creamer in it but that's when I've really had enough but don't want to toss it. I'm frugal that way. lol

I am a Folgers girl. Love my Black Silk. The smell of it, in the can, in the pot...good. lol Actually I pretty much like the smell of most coffees. I do like the stronger ones. I have a Mr. Coffee that has a setting for 'stronger' too. I haven't used it though. I figure I make it strong enough! I have a couple bags of coffee beans and one of them is Peete's. THAT stuff is STRONG. Or maybe I used too much. I'll try it again and tweak my 'recipe'. When I get up in the morning my coffee is ready and I like that.

When I stop drinking coffee is generally whatever time I have to be at work, if it's early. If it's later in the day I'd say the last cup is about 10 AM. I get up around 6 every day. I have had a cup of coffee a couple of hours before bedtime and found out I can't do that anymore. Used to be I could have bedtime coffee and sleep like a baby. Not anymore. Today I had an iced coffee after work but it was early enough I don't think it'll bother me.

I like my coffee too much to quit drinking it, so no, I don't want to.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
2 cups only, in the morning, that's it for the day, so I want it to be good & enjoyable.
Fresh locally roasted whole beans, ground with my own grinder just before brewing. Drip coffee-maker that brings water to boiling temperature (this eliminates most of the mainstream ones, you have to search a bit for this info).

The fresh coffee then goes into a thermal carafe. Great way to start the day. Mmmmmm......

Old 06-13-2014, 06:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
During my working years, I drank a lot of coffee; probably a pot or so each day. Before retiring, I switched pretty much to decaf. Now, I barely drink coffee at all, and when I do, it's decaf. It turns-out that caffeine (in any form) and I. just don't get along well with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement