Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Retiree coffee drinking habits
I drink caffinated only 95 59.75%
I drink decaf only 11 6.92%
I drink both 30 18.87%
I don't touch the stuff 23 14.47%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,993,284 times

Advertisements

I am doing some research on the coffee drinking habits of retirees. I am not a coffee drinker but have thought about taking up the habit - I could use a bump now and then. I tried it when I was at school when studying for finals but it got me so wired I couldn't concentrate.

I am also interested in what brand of coffee you drink as well as any tips on making great coffee. I always feel sorry for those that come here and drink the coffee I make - they of course say it's good but I always wonder if they are just being polite.

Do you cut off caffeinated at a certain time of of the day? How many cups do you drink a day? Would you like to stop drinking it? If so, why?

Let's talk coffee~~~

Last edited by Umbria; 06-13-2014 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM

6,533 posts, read 7,024,571 times
I can't vote. I am not retired.

On the coffee though I drink it everyday. I can drink it all day even up to bed time. No effect on my sleep. It dont even help me wake up. I just do it cause I like it.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
I have been drinking coffee since I was 16 years old. I drank a ton of it in college and into my 20s, and then didn't touch it during all the years I was on a health kick. Then at age 40 in grad school I took it up again. I don't care about caf vs decaf, I just need the taste. At every stressful moment since then I've headed right to the coffee pot or coffee shop. Now it's 2 to 3 cups per day. For me, coffee makes everything right with the world, at least while I'm drinking it, with cream from Jersey cows.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:29 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,092,060 times
I always drank real coffee (only 2 cups a day) and did so as a retiree until I hit 61 yrs old.(retired when I was 47) Suddenly various muscles in my body would just start twitching and wouldn't stop. Doc said to quit coffee. Depressing huh? So now I only drink decaf and all the twitching stopped.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I always drank real coffee (only 2 cups a day) and did so as a retiree until I hit 61 yrs old.(retired when I was 47) Suddenly various muscles in my body would just start twitching and wouldn't stop. Doc said to quit coffee. Depressing huh? So now I only drink decaf and all the twitching stopped.
Wow - my brain & mouth didn't work in unison when I drank it.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:37 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times
Minimum 2 cups every morning - but my coffee cups are soup cups in disguise

Gevalia Peruvian Organic, Gevalia Kenya, or Yuban Dark Roast.
I like my coffee strong enough to stand up and shout. If I'm visiting my niece, I have to add a teaspoon of instant to the light brown liquid she calls coffee, LOL

Quote:
I am not a coffee drinker but have thought about taking up the habit
Be a coffee-drinking individual — espresso yourself!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Minimum 2 cups every morning - but my coffee cups are soup cups in disguise

Gevalia Peruvian Organic, Gevalia Kenya, or Yuban Dark Roast.
I like my coffee strong enough to stand up and shout. If I'm visiting my niece, I have to add a teaspoon of instant to the light brown liquid she calls coffee, LOL

Be a coffee-drinking individual — espresso yourself!
Do you grind your own beans? What kind of coffee pot do you use. I have the old Mr Coffee thing that I'm sure is archaic but it works for the few times I use it.

I'm sure if I start I will be a coffee light type.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:24 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,409,663 times
Wink Lifer Juice

Cool, Lifer juice and a good cut cigar, relaxing, kicking back, is something, I enjoy very much, and I am good at it. I told one of the kids on these other threads, their arguing back and forth, which is better, running or walking? I said, young man, walk, rucking (military back pack) with 45lbs at a easy pace (not running) for ten miles twice a week, swim, and jump rope the others, and you'll be able to drink coffee, smoke a good cigar twice a week and still smoke the other guys for breakfast. Yep, Lifer Juice is the best.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,385,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Do you grind your own beans? What kind of coffee pot do you use. I have the old Mr Coffee thing that I'm sure is archaic but it works for the few times I use it.

I'm sure if I start I will be a coffee light type.
I sometimes grind my own (Black & Decker), when a friend gives me beans. I usually buy ground coffee.
If you join Gevalia at the right time - they give you a free 12 cup** coffee pot, which is what I've been using for the last 10 years. Before that it was a Mr Coffee. Can't remember before that.

If you buy a new coffee maker, check to see how easy it is to fill with water. My Gevalia is narrow and sort of on an angle, so I have to be careful not to spill.

** a "cup" to the coffee pot manufacturers is 6 ounces. Makes me laugh.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,320,281 times
And when I can no longer control my swallowing, I absolutely insist on a coffee IV!

Mainlining baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement