U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,562,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
When I visited Italy there were a lot of old people hanging out in the various town squares or at the ocean, which doesn't seem so depressing. In many parts of America there aren't similar kinds of public spaces and the weather is much more severe. For better or worse, the mall is where people go instead.
Thank god they are tearing down our local mall. By the time I retire maybe there will be something better there--a spa/gym/swimming pool complex maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 02:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,726,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Thank god they are tearing down our local mall. By the time I retire maybe there will be something better there--a spa/gym/swimming pool complex maybe.
naw, there'll be a bigger mall.

I don't get what the problem is anyway, where I live all sorts of people hang in the mall. In summer the whole town is there.

You've got your Somalians at Gloria's coffee, your Italians at Cafe Buono, your Greeks at the souvlaki place...all enjoying their coffee and laughing and chatting a million miles an hour.

But that's Australia I guess, where everyone's just another set of ears to hear your stories.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM

110 posts, read 406,586 times
Personally, I don't like the mall, but it is probably a great place to walk if you live in a harsh climate. And the food court is there if you want to get lunch.

Nobody mentioned all of the free classes that are available online. Khan Academy offers lots of free classes as many colleges do. What a fun thing to do!

Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,593,647 times
Well, since it came up... malls are dying, it's a statistical trend now. Several people noted here already about empty stores & closed malls. They are gradually closing up (not all of them obviously, I suspect a lot of those in very hot areas will hang on) due to the effects primarily of Amazon & on-line shopping. The big bookstores are mostly gone, the "record" & CD stores are mostly gone. Sears is very close to flat-lining & it looks like JCPenney will follow suit later, these are anchor stores to a lot of malls & when they go a lot of the traffic to that mall will disappear.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,306,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Well, since it came up... malls are dying, it's a statistical trend now. Several people noted here already about empty stores & closed malls. They are gradually closing up (not all of them obviously, I suspect a lot of those in very hot areas will hang on) due to the effects primarily of Amazon & on-line shopping. The big bookstores are mostly gone, the "record" & CD stores are mostly gone. Sears is very close to flat-lining & it looks like JCPenney will follow suit later, these are anchor stores to a lot of malls & when they go a lot of the traffic to that mall will disappear.
If the shopping malls are dying will everyone buy their clothes sight unseen from the Internet?

And where will me and the rest of the bored retired people who hang out at the mall sit all day looking miserable? (At homes with our wives, no way!)

Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM

515 posts, read 653,656 times
Every day we live, we're one day closer to dying. Whether we're old and retired, young and energetic, we should try to enjoy life at it's fullest, every day. If sitting at the Mall is what some like and it keeps them entertained, I say it's time well spent for them. As for me, when I die, I want to die with my boots on. Anyone ever watch the movie "Second Hand Lions" ? Well, I don't have any plans to fly a bi-plane upside down through a barn at 90 yrs. old but it sounds better than being bored to death....

Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 AM

8,814 posts, read 7,722,693 times
I'm kind of semi retired at this point. I work but not full time. Lately, I've started cycling. I'm starting to feel a little better and stronger. Maybe that will keep me entertained when I actually retire. Exercise with the goal of living longer and healthier is not boring. I figure I'll try to get involved with a local cycling club. Its inspirational to be with other folks that enjoy what you do, and are pushing themselves more than you are.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:01 AM

515 posts, read 653,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm kind of semi retired at this point. I work but not full time. Lately, I've started cycling. I'm starting to feel a little better and stronger. Maybe that will keep me entertained when I actually retire. Exercise with the goal of living longer and healthier is not boring. I figure I'll try to get involved with a local cycling club. Its inspirational to be with other folks that enjoy what you do, and are pushing themselves more than you are.
I've been cycling since the kids were old enough to ride bicycles but I was limited by by full time job and my kids activities. Fast forward 30 years, the kids are through college, married and have families of their own. I have much more time but I also have other interest to keep me busy. Cycling is a great way to stay fit and my goal this year is to ride 1000 miles before October. I rode 800 miles last year and that was mostly through hill country. I ride mostly by myself though because all my friends think I'm crazy........lol

Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 PM

11 posts, read 9,244 times
Default How to retire RIGHT

It is not that hard to figure out--we are here on this plant to help others. If one doesn't know what to do with themselves, why not volunteer? To those sitting around at the mall, I say get off your fat ass and make a difference. There is so much that needs to be done. Anyone bored in reteirement has only themselves to blame - I would hate to be that person and look in the mirror.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,756,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanberch View Post
It is not that hard to figure out--we are here on this plant to help others. If one doesn't know what to do with themselves, why not volunteer? To those sitting around at the mall, I say get off your fat ass and make a difference. There is so much that needs to be done. Anyone bored in reteirement has only themselves to blame - I would hate to be that person and look in the mirror.
Do you always beat around the bush so much? Can't you learn to be more direct?

Seriously though, you have an excellent point. And sadly, many folks are inflicted with too much inertia to take your excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or