U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 PM

8,617 posts, read 9,680,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I imagine they are sitting there telling each other the very same thing about you.
LOL...that's exactly what I was thinking. I scrolled down to see if anyone else did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,216,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!
Hmmm. Your choice.

Lots of us retired folks sit at the Mall all day watching people and killing time

Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 PM

223 posts, read 274,548 times
Retirement is what you make of it. Those who want to lead more active retired lives will find something that interests them. Of course, they just might like spending time at the mall! We have a long list of things that we plan to do in retirement. In between doing all of those exciting and fascinating things, I imagine that we'll be doing something mundane and boring, too.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 PM

8,763 posts, read 10,840,630 times
Quote:
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time (along with the OP - my insert) -

There seems to be an ironic similarity between the 'watcher' and the folks being watched...

Last edited by jghorton; 06-13-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,491,288 times
Quote:

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!
Isn't it already, in your case?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 PM

8,617 posts, read 9,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Maybe they should hang out at restaurants instead of the Mall. I worked in restaurants for many years and every one of them had their "old guy" groups. I never noticed any of them just staring off into space, watching people around them and looking depressed. They had some pretty lively conversations and good War stories, etc.. They could spend hours just yakking it up. Obviously not just "waiting to die".

Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 PM

687 posts, read 593,897 times
What do you expect when so many peoples identities are linked to their employment and the word used to describe the end of all of that hard work sounds like something just died 'retirement'.

If you dare to look at the bigger picture, you will see a pattern and a reason for such outcomes and none of them serve the individual. However, if one seeks their identity elsewhere, has many passions, gets to know themselves and understands the whole manipulative game that is work and retirement then you may be able to reach it with much more to look forward to than sitting around a shopping centre watching pigeons exhibit the enjoyment of freedom that you mentally lack.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 PM

3,931 posts, read 4,702,316 times
Being tired is kind of common among seniors...not all, certainly, but many...I do feel tired quite often myself. As far as not having anything better to do than hang around a mall, well, some probably don't have a lot of money, to lead a more exciting life. Others may have hung around malls during some of their free time when younger, and it's a habit. Personally, I don't hang around malls anymore. I'm mostly at home...I have enough to do there, not necessarily what I'd prefer to be doing, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Maybe those who would hang out in a mall are the ones who never developed any interests or hobbies in their lives. Maybe they had to spend all their time working. Maybe they were just boring people even before they retired. We don't know.

Of the retired people I've known, none are bored and none sit around in malls. They go places, they work out, they meet up for lunch, they babysit for grandchildren, they read, they take up walking or do photography, take art classes, play bridge, work in the garden, volunteer. It's easier if you have money but even without money there are plenty of things to do for those who get interested in something beyond the mall.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,498,448 times
Quote:

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

I suggest you find yourself a hobby or another part-time/volunteer job because YOU are doing exactly what you are commenting on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or