U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:56 AM

670 posts, read 816,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that being retired sucks. Thankfully, DH has a part time job at Home Depot, but my part time job was too annoying for me to hang in there.
There should be more transitional jobs for retired people who still have their marbles. I am bored to death.
Retirement sucks? Oh, nooooooo! I'm loving every minute of it! When you retire, you have to carve out a new life. I get lots of projects done around the house, volunteer at the Humane Society and at our local community college, and am also a member of our Civic Band. I rehearse my music for an hour a day, pop on here now and then throughout the day, walk for 45 minutes a day, have lunch with friends, and am a caregiver for my mother (who is not seriously sick yet, but is 89 years old). I also take a writing class. When someone asks me to do something, I have to get out my planner to see where and when I can fit it in. No time to sit around the mall watching the world pass by.

My 89 y.o. mother has an active schedule yet too between having lunch with her friends and volunteering at the Senior Center, etc.

There is lots to do...just get involved in something. Enjoy this wonderful time of life that you have worked so hard for! Best wishes to you.

Last edited by MissSoBelle; 06-14-2014 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:56 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,930,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Why on earth do you need a job to connect with your environment and other people? Not all of these things, but plenty, can be done by people of any age or physical ability. I'm always shocked when people say they are "bored to death." If that's the case, you can't be making much an an effort.

Take a class it doesn't have to be something intellectual ... learn cooking, car repair, gardening, dancing, a sport. Join a club. Join a church. Do volunteer work related to a subject you care about. Get active in a political group or some other cause you care about. Do social things with a MeetUp group like going to movies, hiking, biking. Start going to a gym. Get a pet and interact with other pet owners. Learn about your ancestors and join a cultural group related to your ethnicity. If you were ever interested in any kind of art form ... painting, music, writing, pottery, carpentry, metalwork, sewing, crafts ... take some instructions then join a group of others who are interested in that. The public library is a good source of activities in many neighborhoods.
Find your people - Meetup

If you're shy, volunteer work is the best. Surely there's some subject you're interested in or some place you are comfortable where you can interact with people in safe way. If you are helping people, it doesn't matter if you have poor social skills, they will appreciate your time and generosity. Be a Big Sister/Brother. Tutor kids or people learning English as a second language. Work with veterans, the elderly, the sick, the homeless. Libraries, museums, galleries, public gardens, hospitals, even police forces all rely on volunteer labor. If you have a nice voice, read on the radio station for the blind. Be a volunteer usher at a theater or a concert hall to get free tickets. Give your time to animals by working at a shelter walking the animals, bathing them, etc.
VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

My rule of thumb is to get out of the house a minimum of THREE TIMES A WEEK and do something productive that requires you to interact with other people. Jobs are not the only thing that provides that kind of stimulation. Be friendly, be a good listener, give away your time and talents within reason. You will learn, make friends, be more engaged, and you'll be a far healthier and more interesting person than if you isolate.
Excellent post. I cannot for the life of me imagine being bored. There is always something to do, learn or see.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 AM

624 posts, read 602,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Being tired is kind of common among seniors...not all, certainly, but many...I do feel tired quite often myself. As far as not having anything better to do than hang around a mall, well, some probably don't have a lot of money, to lead a more exciting life. Others may have hung around malls during some of their free time when younger, and it's a habit. Personally, I don't hang around malls anymore. I'm mostly at home...I have enough to do there, not necessarily what I'd prefer to be doing, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
My thoughts exactly, Lee. At least these retired folks are out among people, girl watching, etc...

Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw the same look on 4 different guys face this morning, all walking their dogs, looking like they are bored out of their minds, but walk the dog, just to get out of the house. It's sad because I know quite a few fellows that were/are active and working into their 70's and 80's.
Maybe these dog walkers you are seeing aren't bored. Maybe they are just deep in thought. For all anybody knows they just might be making plans for the future while they walk the dog. I do think you are right about people doing things just to get out of the house and I see nothing wrong with that. Beats sitting in front of the TV for hours every day.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,193,435 times
I see these same people as well. Because I am still quite active and able to be out and about, I don't find myself thinking of being in that same boat. Maybe eight years from now, it will be a different story. Still because I enjoy people and want to be around them, I don't feel as if I shall have this kind of problem. In my experience, people just want someone who will listen to them. Showing an interest in them, makes the daily living more palatable. It is my prayer, I'll be an encouragement to someone even if I happen to be in the same boat they are.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:32 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i retired i had all these visions of what i was going to do to keep myself occupied during retirement, problem was all those ideas only took up 10% of my time,so i tried getting a part time job but after submitting 60 applications to various places around town i got not a single call back.I got the message after a while that when you pass 60 no one wants you anymore.,
I tried getting back into motorcycling but driving down the same roads alone got kinda boring so i bought a sportscar, likewise after a few years it also became rather boring as just driving around alone just didnt do it so i lost interest,.
Now with developing mobility issues things like the occasional fishing,camping,bicycling, boating are no longer possible,in fact anything that involves more than 10 minutes of walking becomes very inconvenient.
Now in my late 60s with mounting health issues i seem to be losing interest in life itself, whatever fire of life burns in the belly has gone out in my case and i have no idea how to relight it..
IMO retirement sucks.
When I read this I thought about motorcycle and car clubs. I've known people who were members of these clubs and they had a ball. You don't have to be very mobile to drive a car - I'm assuming you are still driving. And these guys meet and go on a drive as a group and then go to lunch at a designated spot, and then drive back in a group, and often end up at a pub or another restaurant for dinner.

I don't know what kind of car you had but here are a couple of examples:

Camaro Club List - A state by state listing of Camaro Clubs in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Europe.

MINI CAR CLUBS

My dream car was a Mini Cooper, and I dreamed of getting into one of these clubs. The Mini Cooper will probably never happen for me, but it could for you.

I went on a date a long time ago with a guy with a Camaro who was in a Camaro club, and we drove into the mountains in CA, and the group had lunch in a little mountain town restaurant. I had never met him, nor anyone else, and I had a ball.

FWIW

Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 AM

29,990 posts, read 16,586,324 times
After my Mom died - my Dad made the best friends when he started walking at our local mall. He was 80 years old (one of the oldest) ~ but I truly think this group kept him going. They laughed and talked; took turns bringing in doughnuts, went out to breakfast, then started meeting for lunch.

They were a lifeline for him and gradually eased him into a social life.

One couple (much younger than him), took him under their wings and became his very best friends. They shared the same sense of humor and laughed often.

I will be forever grateful for them.

Oh, and they were definitely not waiting to die. They enjoyed walking, talking, and each other.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:43 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,670,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You'd think the retirement forum would be some place I would hang out. But, these depressing threads are all too common on this forum and are, well, too depressing!

If you need meds to get over your depression, get them. I used to need them, but ironically, I don't need them anymore since I retired. It was the opposite for me. I was miserable working. I love being retired.

Get a dog. They're the best thing in the world for depression. Take your dog to the dog park, and start talking to the other dog owners. You'll meet lots of nice people who are enjoying their dogs and each other.

It's fun to watch dogs play with each other, and to see your dog running around with a big smile and a tongue hanging out, and then run up to you with a huge big "thank you, I love you" look in their eyes. You will smile, you will laugh, you will meet interesting people, and you'll get exercise.

Start there.
Great advice!

When my dog was younger, I used to hang out at the dog park all the time! Same (not boring) people and dogs. We had a great time visiting and watching our dogs play.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Great advice!

When my dog was younger, I used to hang out at the dog park all the time! Same (not boring) people and dogs. We had a great time visiting and watching our dogs play.
Yeah, my dog is the best thing in the world for me! I have no yard, and she is not gonna use a potty pad no way no how! So, I have to get dressed and get out at least twice a day. So good for me.

I couldn't have a dog at my last apartment, where I ended up the apartment manager. 10 years there total, 8 years as the manager. When I knew I was retiring, I shopped online on petfinder.com, and found my dog at a shelter in Red Bluff, CA. I was moving in 4 days, and I begged them to hold her for me, and they did. I moved on November 4th, and picked up my dog on November 5th.

Dogs are the best anti-depressants you can get.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,670,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, my dog is the best thing in the world for me! I have no yard, and she is not gonna use a potty pad no way no how! So, I have to get dressed and get out at least twice a day. So good for me.

I couldn't have a dog at my last apartment, where I ended up the apartment manager. 10 years there total, 8 years as the manager. When I knew I was retiring, I shopped online on petfinder.com, and found my dog at a shelter in Red Bluff, CA. I was moving in 4 days, and I begged them to hold her for me, and they did. I moved on November 4th, and picked up my dog on November 5th.

Dogs are the best anti-depressants you can get.
They really are!
I also found that chickens work, too. A little bit of work, but it gives me a chore that I have to do....every day. And there is reward in the eggs that I share with my neighbors. Plus, they're funny creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or