U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:09 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Maybe they should hang out at restaurants instead of the Mall. I worked in restaurants for many years and every one of them had their "old guy" groups. I never noticed any of them just staring off into space, watching people around them and looking depressed. They had some pretty lively conversations and good War stories, etc.. They could spend hours just yakking it up. Obviously not just "waiting to die".
So true, and as the OP speculated in her first post about the earlier lives of some of those folks she sees wandering around the mall or sitting there staring at people, they'd have fascinating stories to tell, lives to share if someone talked to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 AM

9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
Retirement is what you make of it. Those who want to lead more active retired lives will find something that interests them. Of course, they just might like spending time at the mall! We have a long list of things that we plan to do in retirement. In between doing all of those exciting and fascinating things, I imagine that we'll be doing something mundane and boring, too.
Yep, sometimes you get so busy with all the things you can do, or have committed to do in retirement that you look forward to a mundane and boring day.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,817,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!

I haven't read the thread, so I hope posters forgive me if this has already been covered.

Actually IRN, you have started this same conversation at least twice before that I'm aware of. Are you just running out of material there?

I see many sad, bored, lonely old men at the Shopping Mall

Lots of us retired folks sit at the Mall all day watching people and killing time

Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,674,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I haven't read the thread, so I hope posters forgive me if this has already been covered.

Actually IRN, you have started this same conversation at least twice before that I'm aware of. Are you just running out of material there?

I see many sad, bored, lonely old men at the Shopping Mall

Lots of us retired folks sit at the Mall all day watching people and killing time
We don't have a mall.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,544,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yep, sometimes you get so busy with all the things you can do, or have committed to do in retirement that you look forward to a mundane and boring day.
There are days that, if you asked me, I'd say "I sat on the porch and watched the grass grow".

I still feel pangs of guilt over it but they are getting far and fewer in-between.
We are a society of "do something all the time".

Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!
Many older people are very seriously overmedicated which results in a poor quality of life for them. Lack of good nutrition and exercise also contributes to a the behaviors that you describe because they simply do not FEEL like doing anything.

Sometimes older people "give up" because they believe that life is for the young. They spend all of their time focusing on their children and grand children and forget that THEIR life is to be lived and enjoyed also.

We live in a society that worships youth and often treats older people like they are worthless or useless (except as consumers). All you have to do is pick up a magazine geared toward older adults to see that many are obsessed with illness, and death. Older people need to understand that even if you only have 5 or 10 years left, you can make the absolute best of them.

Also too, many older people are quite often depressed and don't realize it. They have usually lost many friends, family members and sometimes children. Getting out in the sunlight getting some exercise and fresh air will do wonders for someone's frame of mind.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-14-2014, 12:46 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,885,423 times
The novelty of this thread is that when the elderly Koreans were sitting in the NY McDonalds for hours taking up space it was suggested they go to a Mall to spend their time and their day. Can people ever be allowed to do what they want if they are bothering anyone else? At McDonalds was a problem but where are they a problem sitting at the Mall other than to other people sitting at the Mall or passing by and not minding their own business. There are functional reasons to sit at the Mall and grab a bite to eat or stay warm or just enjoy the sights. We have no idea what these folks do when not at the Mall and what that life is like. It could be darn exciting how would we know?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There are days that, if you asked me, I'd say "I sat on the porch and watched the grass grow".

I still feel pangs of guilt over it but they are getting far and fewer in-between.
We are a society of "do something all the time".
I love watching the grass grow and wait a minute I am paying good money for lawn and garden service so I can watch them grow. Other wise wouldn't that be wasted money?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Many older people are very seriously overmedicated which results in a poor quality of life for them. Lack of good nutrition and exercise also contributes to a the behaviors that you describe because they simply do not FEEL like doing anything.

Sometimes older people "give up" because they believe that life is for the young. They spend all of their time focusing on their children and grand children and forget that THEIR life is to be lived and enjoyed also.

We live in a society that worships youth and often treats older people like they are worthless or useless (except as consumers). All you have to do is pick up a magazine geared toward older adults to see that many are obsessed with illness, and death. Older people need to understand that even if you only have 5 or 10 years left, you can make the absolute best of them.

Also too, many older people are quite often depressed and don't realize it. They have usually lost many friends, family members and sometimes children. Getting out in the sunlight getting some exercise and fresh air will do wonders for someone's frame of mind.

20yrsinBranson
Yup we have a society that worships youth and especially in warm weather some of these old geezers are doing exactly that.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,493,132 times
When I visited Italy there were a lot of old people hanging out in the various town squares or at the ocean, which doesn't seem so depressing. In many parts of America there aren't similar kinds of public spaces and the weather is much more severe. For better or worse, the mall is where people go instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or