U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,483,020 times

Advertisements

When we're working, we are often too busy to do the things we enjoy - like hobbies. I think that retirement takes away a structured schedule, leaving people to flounder a bit. Retirement should be viewed as an opportunity to finally do what we want where no one can tell us what to do ... like the teenager that moves out of his parent's home for the first time. Freedom to do what we want should be cherished, not wasted.

Another perspective: my mom is a senior that goes to deep water swim class each morning at 7AM for 1.5 hours. After class, she and her senior friends go to a coffee shop to socialize ... sometimes at the mall. You may have it all wrong when you assume that the seniors drinking coffee and socializing at the mall are doing nothing. They could be between their morning exercise routine and a part time job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
Retirement is anything but boring for me.

I used to know a woman who taught literature at a university that had a large proportion of spoiled rich kids in its student body. One of the kids whined to my friend, "Why is this reading assignment so boring?" My friend, exasperated at the prevalence of this attitude among her students, replied, "Everything is boring when you're stupid!"

Old 06-14-2014, 04:53 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So true, and as the OP speculated in her first post about the earlier lives of some of those folks she sees wandering around the mall or sitting there staring at people, they'd have fascinating stories to tell, lives to share if someone talked to them.
The OP is a guy who has all sorts of drama going on in his life. Or so he says. Who knows? I'm not sure he'd be willing to make the first move to talk to people because I think HE thinks they should gravitate to him. From what I gather from all his postings. But yes, he really could meet some very interesting people, if he'd try.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We don't have a mall.
We don't either but we have Walmart! lol There really are people who come in there, sometimes every day, and just sit and watch people. We also have McDonald's there and I always see a table of older guys having a good time visiting.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
When we're working, we are often too busy to do the things we enjoy - like hobbies. I think that retirement takes away a structured schedule, leaving people to flounder a bit. Retirement should be viewed as an opportunity to finally do what we want where no one can tell us what to do ... like the teenager that moves out of his parent's home for the first time. Freedom to do what we want should be cherished, not wasted.

Another perspective: my mom is a senior that goes to deep water swim class each morning at 7AM for 1.5 hours. After class, she and her senior friends go to a coffee shop to socialize ... sometimes at the mall. You may have it all wrong when you assume that the seniors drinking coffee and socializing at the mall are doing nothing. They could be between their morning exercise routine and a part time job.
According to the OP those guys aren't "drinking coffee and socializing". According to him they ARE doing nothing except looking like depressed Sad Sacks. Who knows? I doubt he talks to them to find out.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:11 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Perhaps they are same as teenagers who did and looked the same. Or they finished walking and now resting afterwards. Its their business in my opinion. Least they are not in front of a computer screen like me now starring. at it .Maybe I'll go to park and sit on park bench looking at nature instead of people like they are; pretty much same thing.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:39 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,246,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Perhaps they are same as teenagers who did and looked the same. Or they finished walking and now resting afterwards. Its their business in my opinion. Least they are not in front of a computer screen like me now starring. at it .Maybe I'll go to park and sit on park bench looking at nature instead of people like they are; pretty much same thing.
They came there as teenagers 20 years ago, haven't left yet and now look like old retired people.
OP should pay closer attention!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I imagine they are sitting there telling each other the very same thing about you.
My thoughts exactly. They may not be bored. They may enjoy people watching. It's air conditioned so they bring sweaters. Maybe they don't like to run their air at home.

Why so critical?

Anyone who is bored in retirement ... I don't get it. Volunteer. Read to kids or shut-ins. Walk shelter dogs. Garden. Work at a museum or library. Sit at the mall and watch people.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,214,395 times
I avoid malls because I detest shopping. But this thread reminded me how much I like to "people watch" so perhaps I'll check it out.

I recall reading in the local newspaper about a few older gents who enjoyed going to court to attend trials. That could actually be fun, depending on the subject matter of course.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
When young people congregate at a fast food or Jamba Juice or Starbucks, they are socializing.

When their grandparents do the same, they are "tired and bored."

I just wish that I had the time to be bored. This retirement stuff in exhausting ... six more days until move day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or