U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvodene View Post
Real guitarists use tube amps. I build my own and I might start a to-order (build when ordered, I only do three models of amp) amp-building business, too. Nothing fancy, '59 Fender clones (Champ, Deluxe, Super). Those are my plans.
Nice, that's the sort of niche one could have some modest growth in as long as there's not much upfront money & the musicians pay cash & carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

23,650 posts, read 17,623,979 times
OP posts a lot of "odd" threads, but I do agree with him on this one.

My hometown has a small mall that has really declined over the last few years - probably a third of the stores are now vacant. There are several factories in the town, so there is a bad smell outside, and many seniors use the mall as a place to walk/sit. Some do kind of have a blank look about them, like they're just "there." These people don't seem to be the most active, physically or mentally, and are accepting decline, just as the town itself is declining.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:38 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,066,011 times
Better that they share the blank look in togetherness than staring blankly at the walls of their lonely apartment. It's never a bad thing when like-people find each other.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:28 AM

188 posts, read 206,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!

Oh no!! I just want to hug everyone an make them feel happy. Why did their children forget them? Or were they horrible parents? I know plenty of old people that are happy and friendly... maybe these are just the miserable shallow asswipes of the northeast, +30 years?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that being retired sucks. Thankfully, DH has a part time job at Home Depot, but my part time job was too annoying for me to hang in there.
There should be more transitional jobs for retired people who still have their marbles. I am bored to death.
Why not volunteer at a soup kitchen, orphanage, children's hospital, salvation army etc? There are SO many needy people out there desperate to be lent a hand, an ear, a voice. When I went to catholic school, we had these awesome eccentric nuns who were constantly campaigning for something or another plus teaching high school plus all that church and praying and stuff. Some of them were in their 80s. No respect for greed and blindness, sorry.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There seems to be an ironic similarity between the 'watcher' and the folks being watched...
It's almost as if the OP is subconsciously seeking mirroring and social approval for his boredom?

Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM

14,266 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretomove2014 View Post
Why not volunteer at a soup kitchen, orphanage, children's hospital, salvation army etc? There are SO many needy people out there desperate to be lent a hand, an ear, a voice. When I went to catholic school, we had these awesome eccentric nuns who were constantly campaigning for something or another plus teaching high school plus all that church and praying and stuff. Some of them were in their 80s. No respect for greed and blindness, sorry.

And many lived well into their 90s, despite teaching for 50+ years.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:43 PM

7,954 posts, read 7,927,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!
Yes, that will be you. All of us diminish at the end of our lives to shadows of our former selves. Reality is immutable. Which is why it is so important not to waste time while you have it to use. One day, you will be on the 16th floor of a hospital with a tube in your arm, you will look out the window across the parking lot at an 11 year old on a skateboard in the bright summer sun. You will wistfully ask yourself: Does he know how lucky he is right now? Did I?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
LMAO- hey now, some of us were good girls But you can tell a lot of them were genuinely happy doing it.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:48 PM

6,333 posts, read 3,588,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You know the secret to that, don't you? They didn't have husbands, mothers-in-law or children and had a passel of nuns to take care of them in their old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or