Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:45 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,785,386 times

Advertisements

In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,620,228 times
I do recall a thread with this same subject matter!

Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 PM

49,996 posts, read 63,313,910 times
I agree that being retired sucks. Thankfully, DH has a part time job at Home Depot, but my part time job was too annoying for me to hang in there.
There should be more transitional jobs for retired people who still have their marbles. I am bored to death.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:56 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,834,300 times
About nine hours before the OP was posted for this thread, another thread was opened in the Retirement Forum entitled "Are you sitting at home waiting to die?". These two threads should be merged, in my opinion, because "Are you sitting at the mall waiting to die?" is just a minor variation on the same theme.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,363,648 times
Quote:
Same Tired and Bored looking retired people sit at the shopping mall center area every day!
Well gosh - why don't you talk to them??
You might find someone to hang around with and not be bored!

It all starts with a smile and a nod of the head.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,502,821 times
This is second thread on this as I recall recently.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,971,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
In between my part time job as a College Business Instructor and my gadfly posts on City Data there is not much to do, so I go over to a local Regional Shopping Center and walk around and sit and watch the people with a number of other sad old people in the middle common area. I see the same tired bored looking retirees there every day. They seem so alone and aimless.

I look at them and try to picture them as 30 years younger, active, engaged and full of confidence and authority. Maybe the tired old man who always wears that green sweater, even in the summer, used to be a bank Vice President. The old woman who has such a hard time walking, may have been a High School Principal. And the sad looking man who sits there never smiling or talking to anyone used to be an Executive at a huge Accounting firm directing the work of a huge staff with a force of will and commanding personality that got things done.

Now they are all just old folks sitting at the mall killing time. God, tell me that this isn't going to be the retirement for all of us as we get old!

I imagine they are sitting there telling each other the very same thing about you.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,834,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Well gosh - why don't you talk to them??
You might find someone to hang around with and not be bored!

It all starts with a smile and a nod of the head.
Excellent suggestion, and obvious enough that it makes me wonder if the OP is leveling with us or just seeking one more thread topic.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:06 PM

741 posts, read 760,398 times
I believe that people who lead boring lives in retirement ... led boring lives before they retired. The 'die' is probably cast early in life ... for most people.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,898,704 times
Am I sitting on the beach regularly bored and waiting to die or is that ok with people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement